• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Amazon Prime

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
Dammit, they sucked me in. Did the free trial so I could get my Kindle in two days. Now it's just way too convenient NOT to keep subscribing to it.

Prime is awesome. Got it free via Amazon Mom, but will renew if and when it runs out.

I signed up for a Barnes & Noble membership a few months ago because it's only a couple of miles from my house and the bookstore is always a great diversion for the kids. So I get 10% off or something like that, plus I get free shipping on B&N.com. But the prices on Amazon are almost always better still and I can get free shipping there if I order just a couple of items usually. What I'm trying to say is to short B&N.

Can someone tell me something bad about Amazon prime?

You buy more stuff because it will be on your doorstep in 2 days?

QFT. Although this isn't necessarily bad. Most of the time whatever I want to buy on Amazon is cheaper than if I went out to Target or somewhere, and if I think of something I need in the middle of the week, I can get it much faster through Amazon than waiting til the weekend to go to the store.

I love Prime. I did the free student prime thing when I was in grad school (although I'm pretty sure you could sign up with an alumni address too). That lasted for a year and then they offered Prime for half price so I ended up buying it. Figured I am so used to ordering of Amazon now that I would have spent more than that on shipping throughout the year.

And honestly, I have pretty frequently gotten stuff the next day even choosing two-day free shipping when I've ordered early enough the day before.

Amazon Prime is the shit. Have had it for a couple years now. Got it free through Amazon student last year, and this year got it half price.

QFT. Although this isn't necessarily bad. Most of the time whatever I want to buy on Amazon is cheaper than if I went out to Target or somewhere, and if I think of something I need in the middle of the week, I can get it much faster through Amazon than waiting til the weekend to go to the store.

I love Prime. I did the free student prime thing when I was in grad school (although I'm pretty sure you could sign up with an alumni address too). That lasted for a year and then they offered Prime for half price so I ended up buying it. Figured I am so used to ordering of Amazon now that I would have spent more than that on shipping throughout the year.

And honestly, I have pretty frequently gotten stuff the next day even choosing two-day free shipping when I've ordered early enough the day before.

doesn't seem to work with my Wake alumni address

How is the free video-on-demand selection? Have they expanded it a whole lot in the past few months?

I posted the same thread on the Quad a couple of years ago; My opinion of the service certainly hasn't diminished any...

I've since moved to a bigger town (Richmond) and am amazed how often the items that I order are 'locally available' and the 'Free Prime Shipping' option is Next-Day.

In the past week; I've ordered two pretty sizable items (lounge chairs) that were in-stock (through Amazon) but both shipped from Seattle, WA.

I placed each order between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m., and in each case, I received them by 3 p.m. the next day. That's really just incredible efficiency on a couple of different fronts (UPS gets a nod along with the distribution center).

There are so many times when I need something, and it's sadly true that I can get it quicker using the Amazon 2-day shipping than I could by making time and energy to get off my ass to navigate the hells of Walmart.

You do know you can add up to 5 people to your list who get Prime as well. Not a bad deal if you divide it by 5.

Is there a way to sign up for a second free year of Prime? I have a second .edu address with my new job.

Or is my only option to open another account?

Is there a way to sign up for a second free year of Prime? I have a second .edu address with my new job.

Or is my only option to open another account?

I was able to add my @wfu.edu to an existing account to get Prime, then changed my email address afterwards. I wouldn't be too surprised if you can use your new email address.

Back