• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Amazon Prime

Is there a way to sign up for a second free year of Prime? I have a second .edu address with my new job.

Or is my only option to open another account?

I need to figure out how to this in a couple of months. Baptist is still going through their name change so MS1s all got wfubmc.edu addresses and wakehealth.edu addresses. hopefully this gives me two more free years of prime if I play my cards right

I just got an Kindle Fire HD which comes with a month of Amazon Prime. How is the movie/Tv show selection? Also, can you stream Amazon movies and shows through a BluRay player with WiFi capabilities? Thanks!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

I know you can stream through the PS3. I know The West Wing is available to stream. That is all I know.

XBox does Amazon prime too. The movie selection is ok, but the real value for me is in free shipping and free book rentals from the lending library.

I just started Prime, and I was looking at the Lending Library today, and it looked like a bunch of crap. What is the most effective way to sift through the crap?

TV selection is pretty good. I've got Star Trek TNG, The West Wing, Arrested Development, and the X-Files in my queue at the moment.

I was about to start a thread about Amazon in general... those who use it frequently, is it your main source for shopping? Why do you like it so much? What do you use it for (household necessities vs. toys)?

I love Prime for the shipping. When I realized I had access to Amazon's streaming service I was pretty excited - until I went and looked at the crap selection. It's far worse than Netflix, and Netflix isn't all that hot to start with.

Better selection of things to buy, which don't interest me in the least.

I love Prime for the shipping. When I realized I had access to Amazon's streaming service I was pretty excited - until I went and looked at the crap selection. It's far worse than Netflix, and Netflix isn't all that hot to start with.

Better selection of things to buy, which don't interest me in the least.

This. Did it for the free shipping and then browsed the movie/tv collection before I realized it sucked.

I was about to start a thread about Amazon in general... those who use it frequently, is it your main source for shopping? Why do you like it so much? What do you use it for (household necessities vs. toys)?

With the exception of clothes, I buy pretty much everything from Amazon. They usually have at least decent (sometimes great) prices, the free two day shipping, and it means I don't have to ever enter a store...which is a big win for me because I hate shopping in a store.

but do you get things like peanut butter and toilet paper from amazon?

shipping is great (saved close to 200 bucks on delivery of my tv a year or so ago). free movie/tv selection is not great but it has come in handy with my 3 year old at times so that's nice. i've rented a few movies to stream through them and that has worked well.

i no longer have a book store near me so almost all of my books come from amazon. everything for christmas last year was sent to family via prime. you can order one item at a time and they all arrive in two days.

this was my first year (try the 30 day free trial if you want) and i am going to re-up in january.

With the exception of clothes, I buy pretty much everything from Amazon. They usually have at least decent (sometimes great) prices, the free two day shipping, and it means I don't have to ever enter a store...which is a big win for me because I hate shopping in a store.

I buy a good majority of items from Amazon (Prime). Got a free prime membership when wife was preggers. We get diapers, formula, wipes. Also, Tvs, mounts, other electronics. I also got a garbage disposal. They offer just about everything in one place and the price is usually cheaper, no tax, and free shipping.

hm, i think w/ babies and such i could see the advantage (for diapers, etc) but i feel like for just two people right now, our purchasing varies enough that it doesn't make sense to order online for things that we DO buy in bulk and could get at costco.

I have never looked for things like that on Amazon, but I buy most everything else there, or at least give them first dibs. It is my go to place for:
1. Video game pre-orders - They ship so you have the game on launch day if you have Prime and you almost always get some Amazon specific promotion for pre ordering through them
2. Eye drops for our rescue dog - Yep, she produces no tears so we have to lube up her peepers
3. Shampoo and Conditioner
4. Camera and Laptop accessories - just bout a microSD card for my phone and a laptop battery through them.
5. Razor blades - Make sure you don't order them all near Halloween though. Space it out through the year to avoid the FBI list.
6. Accessories for my Jeep - Although their selection here is lacking, so I usually end up elsewhere.
7. Almost all birthday and Christmas gifts.

The fact that prime gives me free two day shipping puts me in the same camp as Deadbolt. I will almost always use Amazon first, if possible, because I know my stuff will be at my door in two days.

hm, i think w/ babies and such i could see the advantage (for diapers, etc) but i feel like for just two people right now, our purchasing varies enough that it doesn't make sense to order online for things that we DO buy in bulk and could get at costco.

Nice thing about Prime is that you buy what you want rather than buying to cater to shipping costs.

I haven't bought these things, but I totally would. In a lot of cases the prices are so much better than in a store. If you buy a few items per year, Prime pays for itself in shipping alone.

I don't buy groceries and staples, but I do buy electronics, birthday/christmas gifts, etc. It's worth it around Christmas alone.

Back