• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Amazon Prime

I usually do just about all my holiday shopping on Amazon as well. No reason to enter a store when you combine that it's usually cheaper, definitely more convenient, saves time, and I can get reviews of the product before I buy.

Between SlickDeals (and a couple other deal sites) and Amazon, the time I have to shop in person is clothes, groceries and other everyday supplies.

I was about to start a thread about Amazon in general... those who use it frequently, is it your main source for shopping? Why do you like it so much? What do you use it for (household necessities vs. toys)?

It's certainly my main source for gifts and some other assorted items (homebrewing supplies, books, music, movies). You can get almost anything at a comparable or cheaper rate than the store, and they ship it to you for free in two days.

I have a kindle, too, and the instant accessibility and cost-factor of e-books is great.

If you're looking for the newest releases in movies or tv shows, you won't get them for free on prime, but their selection isn't that bad, imo (see previous post).

I'd say 90% of my shopping is at the grocery store or amazon. The other 10% is clothes and specialty stores/boutiques.

i guess my spending caters itself mostly to stores right now, plus i don't get much that can't be bought at REI (discount FTW) or the grocery store.

once we figure out our Christmas lists for other people it will probably be something to check out, free shipping and all...

I noticed all the old RW/RR challenges were only available through Prime. Worth it for someone who came late to the party on that front alone.

but do you get things like peanut butter and toilet paper from amazon?

We get things like TP and paper towels from Amazon. I think the wife likes being able to buy a case of them and not having to cart them home from the grocery store. The downside to me is that it is more of a pain in the ass for me to break down the boxes for recycling than it is to carry the stuff home from the store. Plus the UPS guy refuses to get out of his truck to walk the boxes up the driveway despite the width of his truck, so he drives over my grass and tears up the lawn weekly.

My main complaint with Prime is that the free shipping often doesn't apply to what I need to buy. I've gotten the no dice result on a couple things I've tried to purchase from there in the last week or two (5-gal jug of marine engine oil; bounce-house for my kid for Christmas). Disappointing.

We get things like TP and paper towels from Amazon. I think the wife likes being able to buy a case of them and not having to cart them home from the grocery store. The downside to me is that it is more of a pain in the ass for me to break down the boxes for recycling than it is to carry the stuff home from the store. Plus the UPS guy refuses to get out of his truck to walk the boxes up the driveway despite the width of his truck, so he drives over my grass and tears up the lawn weekly.

My main complaint with Prime is that the free shipping often doesn't apply to what I need to buy. I've gotten the no dice result on a couple things I've tried to purchase from there in the last week or two (5-gal jug of marine engine oil; bounce-house for my kid for Christmas). Disappointing.

So in a bit of meta revenge, you should order these from Amazon and then put them out before his next trip.

http://www.amazon.com/ASR-Tactical-Puncturing-Security-Devices/dp/B0038ZTGZ4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1352933782&sr=8-3&keywords=spike+strip

Prime is worth every penny.

I guess so. Two years ago I was still in grad school, so I was able to jump in and get Prime for free for a year (any students should definitely do this). Then the deal was you could renew for $40 for every year after the first as long as you are still in school. I was hoping to be able to do that again even though I've graduated, but it appears they finally wised up and are requiring some kind of proof that you are actually in school to get the discount. I think $40 feels like about the right price for Prime, while $80 seems like a little too much (and I order a lot of shit from Amazon).

Of course just now reading this whole thread I realize there is a bunch of stuff I didn't even know you could get from Amazon. I'm definitely re-upping, obviously I just preferred the price of $0 instead of $40 or $80.

hm, i think w/ babies and such i could see the advantage (for diapers, etc) but i feel like for just two people right now, our purchasing varies enough that it doesn't make sense to order online for things that we DO buy in bulk and could get at costco.

AMZN sells more diapers than Kroger, the 5th largest retailer in the world.

I happened to sign up for Prime yesterday, simply because they had Fringe available for streaming and Netflix doesn't. Anyway I expect I'll get my money's worth over the Christmas holiday.

Same thing as mentioned - got the free Prime when wife was pregnant, now get a lot of stuff from them. In most cases, the 2-day shipping will get it to my door quicker than me getting off my ass and finding time to get to the store during the week. In fact, I'm about to order some Tums in preparation for Friday night.

I calculated it out, definitely have saved like $500 this year through free shipping (super saver excluded) and streaming movies. Not sure who says the movie selection is bad but I always can find something to watch that's interesting.

Of course just now reading this whole thread I realize there is a bunch of stuff I didn't even know you could get from Amazon. I'm definitely re-upping, obviously I just preferred the price of $0 instead of $40 or $80.

Back when I joined it was free for students for the first year, and then $30/year for like three years afterwards, so I think I'm still only paying $30/year currently since I used my .edu email address when i signed up.

Back when I joined it was free for students for the first year, and then $30/year for like three years afterwards, so I think I'm still only paying $30/year currently since I used my .edu email address when i signed up.

I did as well, but then I changed over to a different email address at some point and they still offered me the school rate for another year. Now they require evidence that you are still in school to be able to get the deal (want a transcript or acceptance letter or something)

I did as well, but then I changed over to a different email address at some point and they still offered me the school rate for another year. Now they require evidence that you are still in school to be able to get the deal (want a transcript or acceptance letter or something)

same, same

Happy to see some shows on Amazon Prime that I've been wanting to check out (Downton Abbey, Parks and Rec) as well as a show that I planned on re-watching (Arrested Development).

Also, I was a little disappointed to learn that you couldn't download Amazon Prime movies and shows to your Kindle (streaming only). I love the concept of the lending library though, and I just rented Hunger Games last night. I have the free trial version for right now, but will buy it and add Mrs I/O (assuming you can't add a user to a trial version)

Back