• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

America Is Not For Black People - Greg Howard

I'm not sure you can say something is harmless when people feel harmed.

And you can't really compare white people dressing up to make fun of black people with white people dressing up to make fun of white people. The underlying race factors at Wake and campuses around the country are what make those parties appealing.

Last edited:
i guess i should have said "relatively" as i was comparing it to "the underlying race factors" i mentioned in my post if you had kept reading. the problem with the rap video party isnt the party; it's the attitude of the attendees.

I don't have to go to a rap video party and meet the attendees to be offended by it.

And I obviously read what you said about the "underlying race factors" considering I quoted it in my post.

i think it's pretty racist to assume people werent going to show up like this:

thrift-shop-macklemore-ryan-group.png

or the issue is, like i said, the underlying race factors on campus make what should be an innocuous party an issue.

i guess my point is i was on campus for a "rap video party." i didnt know anyone that thought of it as a "dress like a black person party." granted i didnt hang out with that many shitty dbags. i do remember a lot of folks debating nelly bandaid or lil john braids. maybe the issue doesnt only lie with white sheltered kids thinking its a fun party (innocuously) but also with rap video being ubiquitous as black as questlove put it. or also that the black folks on campus feel so segregated that an innocuous theme party causes such divisiveness that idiots bust out "sheets and crosses" comments.

It's not an innocuous party theme.

is an 80s music party offensive? a soul music? disco? grunge rock? etc. etc.

the point of the party is the "materialism and braggadocio." that's what makes it fun and gets people there. it isn't the racism. the problem is the racism and the segregation of minorities at the school. perhaps you should check back in on thsi thread to get a better understanding of my point:

http://www.ogboards.com/forums/show...-Black-America-quot/page2?highlight=questlove

but hey i'm just a white dude, so feel free to brush it off and remain #undefeated.

the point of the party is the "materialism and braggadocio." that's what makes it fun and gets people there. it isn't the racism. the problem is the racism and the segregation of minorities at the school. perhaps you should check back in on thsi thread to get a better understanding of my point:

http://www.ogboards.com/forums/show...-Black-America-quot/page2?highlight=questlove

but hey i'm just a white dude, so feel free to brush it off and remain #undefeated.

Is this for real? I have no idea what you're trying to say, either, if that makes you feel any better. But hey, I'm just a white dude who knows that a majority of rap videos historically do not feature white dudes (and who watches music videos anymore?), so on a campus that is predominately white dudes who also grew up around predominately white dudes, it might end up a bit fucked up (or, to invoke Ph, less than "innocuous") to throw a party that has a theme invoking cultural production and artistic display that is predominately curated, produced, and performed by non-white dudes. Seeing as most campuses with racist party incidents feature similar demographic and social profiles, I'm just not sure what point you're trying to make.

There is a universe of acceptable party themes. In that universe, this one just sucks, has sucked, and always will suck.

When I was in college, a bunch of dudes once threw an underwear party...craziest shit I've ever seen. Basically a giant open door orgy with a DJ.

I don't think that has much to do with this thread, but this thread reminded me of it. :noidea:

I knew Joe Leduc in passing circles (he was a freshman when I was a senior) and he's probably one of the smartest people I've ever met. Side note but interesting - he's always been a big critical theory guy and is a mainstay on the debate team (or was).

Also I didn't even have to look what frat this was to know who was throwing this party.

you're being an idiot right now

Why wasn't everybody dressing like Iggy and Macklemore?

Why is rap a necessary theme for materialism and braggadocio? That was pretty common at Wake when I was there anyway.

What is sad to me in a lot of these incidents is the "this incident offends me as a person and member of a demographic group vs. I enjoy doing this" argument seems to be tilted in favor of the latter.

Why wasn't everybody dressing like Iggy and Macklemore?

Why is rap a necessary theme for materialism and braggadocio? That was pretty common at Wake when I was there anyway.

seriously, based on that description i thought the dress code would be this:

frat-guys.png

And you can't really compare white people dressing up to make fun of black people with white people dressing up to make fun of white people.

where does black people dressing up to make fun of white people rank?

where does black people dressing up to make fun of white people rank?

Is that how they commit voter fraud?

Nobody plays the hypothetical white victim card like Milhouse.

In all seriousness, dressing up like white people and acting like white people is what white people want us to do in order to get jobs.

Back