• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Andre Washington

But really, of all the recruiting sites to subscribe to who the hell chooses Scout...

To be fair, it was clearly the best basketball recruiting site when both Telep and Daniels were there. Obviously losing Telep has caused them to fade a bit the last couple years.

He should of redshirted last year

Absolutely. With further development and game experience, he could anchor our defense and cover up a lot of deficiencies on that side of the ball.

Absolutely. With further development and game experience, he could anchor our defense and cover up a lot of deficiencies on that side of the ball.

You may be getting a bit carried away here. He seems like a good kid and hard worker and has already progressed more than I thought he would. But his hands are suspect and he doesn't get off the floor quickly. He is physically weak and may not be able to get stronger. As a result he is not a good rebounder even at 7 feet. Just gets pushed around too much. I don't think the decision not to red shirt him was wrong, based on what I've seen so far. I hope he makes us live to regret it--just don't see it yet.

Does Roanoke have home boys?

My kids go to the school he went to, and I've met him a number of times. He's a great young man. I think Bz was planning on playing him a couple of minutes, but left him in after seeing him do battle with Raines. Raines looks like a defensive end, and AW went toe-to-toe with him. I was at the game, and I could really see a lot of passion from AW. I hope this performance leads to more good performances in the future.

Washington was the only guy who had half a shot against Stainbrook in the Xavier game...Once Bz took him out the small sliver of light we had at getting back in the game was gone.

I think he can be a good to very good defender for whomever coaches us next year. He can get some junk points too.. I don't think 8 and 6 is out of the realm of possibility.

You can't teach somebody to be seven feet

Washington has something most big men do not. He has touch and can nail the jump shot. He has to put on some lower body strength so he can hold his position. Wish he would have redshirted last year.

The question is can he replace Haas as a jr. Sr. Vs. him as a fresh. That hurt losing that committ.

A new coach next year will add energy, bit whether many like or not this staff is developing players.

My kids go to the school he went to, and I've met him a number of times. He's a great young man. I think Bz was planning on playing him a couple of minutes, but left him in after seeing him do battle with Raines. Raines looks like a defensive end, and AW went toe-to-toe with him. I was at the game, and I could really see a lot of passion from AW. I hope this performance leads to more good performances in the future.

The school in Roanoke?

Washington is just as productive as walker was as a sophomore. He could become a decent big off the bench. The idea that he could become a dominant big man in the ACC is laughable.

Right now he is not a contributing factor off the bench for any team worth its salt.

He has mediocre talent. 7 feet doesn't mean jack squat. If he continues to work hard I think he could be worthy of being the 7th or 8th man off the bench on a good ACC team.

Which means for us he could be a very important piece by his senior year because we still have zero post depth (thanks [Redacted]).

This

He needs work on his footwork and strength. If that improves, he could really contribute next year.

What seems promising to me is that he has actually changed his (upper) body from frosh to soph year. He is noticeably more muscular in the arms/shoulders than last year. Much more so than players like Devin/McKie--who to my eye haven't changed much. To me this means he is willing to put in the work. IF that level of improvement continues (particularly lower body) I think he can be a solid contributor. For basically a "scrub" off the bench, he tends to noticeably affect games both on offensive and defensive standpoint. He does have a lot to learn regarding movement/rotations on the defenisve end but some of that will come with playing time.

Washington already reclassified in high school. Redshirting a year would just likely tie up a scholarship for 5 years that you should be able to easily replace after year 4.

What seems promising to me is that he has actually changed his (upper) body from frosh to soph year. He is noticeably more muscular in the arms/shoulders than last year. Much more so than players like Devin/McKie--who to my eye haven't changed much. To me this means he is willing to put in the work. IF that level of improvement continues (particularly lower body) I think he can be a solid contributor. For basically a "scrub" off the bench, he tends to noticeably affect games both on offensive and defensive standpoint. He does have a lot to learn regarding movement/rotations on the defenisve end but some of that will come with playing time.

Cav Moto and Devin are all better than Washington and all have just as much upside. A common mis-evaluation technique is mistaking height for upside. Moto and Cav 's upside is just different, but not necessarily lower than AW. Washington will nver become the passer or shooter that Cav could become, and Washington will never become the slasher or rebounder that Moto could become. They just have different skills and gifts. What matters is where they are now, and where they will be in 1 year and 2 years.

Washington should honestly transfer to a mid major. Red shirt a year and have 2 years to really contribute big minutes at a program more appropriate his skill level. He is the exact type of guy I would be targeting as a mid major assistant if I am scouting teams for possible transfers.

Last edited:
Back