• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Andy Roddick to retire after US Open

The 2009 final was brutal. He was obviously very upset after the tournament. He did make a pretty funny comment to Fed about letting Roddick win, because Fed already had so many titles. Good guy. American men's tennis is brutal right now.

Compared to our historical level of play it is. American tennis basically has several "almost great" players. Fish, Isner, Querrey all have the skills to get to the top 10 when healthy but that is their limit. Isner won't go any higher until he develops a return game and finishes off best of 5 matches in 3 sets. Fish may be playing doubles with Andy against the McEnroes for exhibitions before long with his heart issues. Querrey is still young, but probably will be a career #15-20 player at best.

Jack Sock has some promise... kind of Roddick-y as a 19 year old.

Jack Sock has some promise... kind of Roddick-y as a 19 year old.
Agreed. I saw two of his matches in Winston and he does play a lot like Roddick. Heavy forehand and serve. He looks a little heavy for a tennis player, but at 19 lots of people still have some baby fat on them.

steve johnson the two time ncaa champion played well getting to the third round before losing yesterday.

ryan harrison seems like a headcase and acts similarly dickish as roddick on the court

steve johnson the two time ncaa champion played well getting to the third round before losing yesterday.

ryan harrison seems like a headcase and acts similarly dickish as roddick on the court

Harrison is even more volatile than Roddick. Steve Johnson fits into the volatile boat too

Better carrer: Hewitt vs. Roddick?

Better carrer: Hewitt vs. Roddick?

Good question. Very similar statistically. I'd give a slight edge to Roddick given his longetivy of relative success. Hewitt did most of his damage the first 5-6 years of his career, but has been largely irrelevant since 2005. Roddick has at least been somewhat of a factor the last 7 years.

I think del Potro wins in 3 tonight...perhaps 4 if Roddick can muster one final flourish on emmotion. Regardless his career ends tonight. (Although they did mention that Roddick has never lost a 4th round match at the USOpen and is a perfect 8-0 in his career there when given the opportunity to make the quarters.)

My respect/disrespect for anyone starts with who they've fucked and ends with who they are fucking. By any [my] measure, Roddick has earned my respect.

No comments during this match. Roddick came very close to going up 2 sets to 0, but lost the 2nd set tie breaker and is currently down 2 sets to 1 in the fourth.

Clearly playing his heart out now but even if he gets this to 5 sets, I'm not sure if he is going to have enough gas left.

I think Hewitt's wife is SMOKING hot. Not quite Brooklyn Decker, but seems like she is not far behind iirc.

My respect/disrespect for anyone starts with who they've fucked and ends with who they are fucking. By any [my] measure, Roddick has earned my respect.

Roddick down 5-3 in the 4th. Worth turning on ESPN right now to watch the probable end of Roddick's career.

He's having trouble keeping it together.

I'm at the age where this is the first star player I remember watching from the beginning of his career to the end. Definitely going to miss looking for him in draws and having that small hope he could pull through each time.

Lost 4 grand slam finals to Roger. That's pretty rough.

2nd most single wins in Davis Cup history.

McEnroe says he's first ballot HOF.

Del Potro showing some class there as well. Basically giving Andy his interview time and getting out of the way. Always liked that guy. Would love to see him take down the Djoker.

This is what retirement looks like:

brooklyn-decker-sports-illustrated-si-2.jpg

Brooklyn-Decker-bikinis-28273598-670-463.jpg

2010-03-19-BrooklynDecker.jpeg

Back