• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Andy Roddick to retire after US Open

I don't like him because he's always wearing that goofy hat to hide his baldness. Didn't someone yank his hat off at a bar in W-S causing Andy to flip out?

Had a great hosting effort on SNL back in the day. Was a jerk on the court, but carried US Men's tennis for the past decade. No other American man took over the title of best in the country during the past ten years.

Had a great hosting effort on SNL back in the day. Was a jerk on the court, but carried US Men's tennis for the past decade. No other American man took over the title of best in the country during the past ten years.

So he was best of the mediocre.

Again, top 10 in the world for 9 consecutive years is NOT mediocre. Only Federer and Sampras have accomplished that in the last twenty years.

No, he hasn't been completely dominant. No, he hasn't won the big one as much. But he does have 32 career titles.

It's ok if you don't like him personally or don't like his attitude, but he's far from a mediocre tennis player.

Again, top 10 in the world for 9 consecutive years is NOT mediocre. Only Federer and Sampras have accomplished that in the last twenty years.

No, he hasn't been completely dominant. No, he hasn't won the big one as much. But he does have 32 career titles.

It's ok if you don't like him personally or don't like his attitude, but he's far from a mediocre tennis player.

+1 His Davis Cup service over the years has been huge. Sampras played a few times and then blew it off later in his career. And he clearly has a lot of friends in the locker room and on the women's tour. He has been a great mentor to the young Americans like Isner, Querrey and Harrison.

Huge loss for American men's tennis. Glad to hear that he is excited about building a tennis center in Austin through his foundation.

Its one thing to a bitch on the court if you're actually good. Roddick was not.

He was the #1 ranked player in the world. It's a big stretch to say that he wasn't good

I'd like to see the list of people that played in 6 Grand Slam finals in their career. I imagine it's extremely short on players not currently in the tennis Hall of Fame. During the last ten years, on the men's side, I imagine that list might fit on one hand.

Andy only has 5 slam finals, but here is the list in the open era (and yes everyone on that list is a HOFer):

96i2ip.jpg

Thanks Couch. So, in the open era, Roddick is a top-20 all-time performer in terms of Grand Slam finals played, and the only member of that list not either already in the HOF or a lock for it when they retire. I'd say that takes Roddick out of the "is he mediocre?" conversation and starts the "is Roddick a HOF candidate?" discussion. (note: I say no)

Michael Chang was a 1st ballot tennis HOFer. He won the French Open and has 4 total GS finals. 34 titles overall. His highest career ranking is #2 and he is 12th on the adjusted career money list.

Andy Roddick won the US Open and has 5 total GS finals. 32 titles overall. His highest career ranking is #1 and he is 10th on the adjusted career money list.

Pretty easy HOF case.

what happened to fish? he withdrew?
He released a statement and said that it was medical condition and he was advised by medical personnel to withdraw. Likely related to his heart condition he had earlier in the year where his heart rate would just skyrocket while sitting around. He ended up having surgery and missed most of the year.

Lol at anyone who says Roddick is mediocre. Roddick's career results speak for themselves, he was a very good player. Couch's list shows that. He went 1-4 in finals, all 4 losses were to Fed, including an epic at the 2009 Wimbledon final. If you always pull for American tennis players then he was frustrating as hell to watch after 2003 when it seemed he might continue where Sampras and Agassi left off. Almost everyone thought he would win more slams 9 years ago, but no one predicted the dominance Fed, then Nadal, and later Novak would have.

The 2009 final was brutal. He was obviously very upset after the tournament. He did make a pretty funny comment to Fed about letting Roddick win, because Fed already had so many titles. Good guy. American men's tennis is brutal right now.

Back