• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Another face of those on Food Stamps -a US Olypmian

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...r-emily-scott-has-large-support-team/4242901/

Even an Olympic athlete had to use them. But they are just for slackers.

Yes, Paul Ryan, other Republicans and many here, we should cut food stamps. But NOOOOOOO we shouldn't cut subsidies to oil companies who are making tens of billions each year in profits.

Cutting oil company subsidies would more than cover all the cuts to food stamps.

I think if any adult decided that they were going to spend all day every day working out and ice skating, the general consensus is that they would be on food stamps. Usually that isn't something someone gets paid to do. If you want to talk about whether we should use tax dollars to support US Speedskating (or pay our Olympic hopefuls) then I guess that is a valid discussion, but that has nothing to do with cutting foodstamps.

Olympic athlete and slacker aren't mutually exclusive

anigif_enhanced-31461-1392413583-33.gif

$350 car payment? That seems like a lot for someone who doesn't have a real job.

I'm supposed to have pity for, and subsidize, someone who willfully chooses a career path with little to no income?

HEY RJ, SHE'S NOT ON FOOD STAMPS.

When she talked about filling out the food stamps application this summer, she had tears in her eyes.

When the funding arrived, Scott didn't have to follow through on the application and she was able to quit her part-time job.

If anything, this article seems to champion private fund raising/charity efforts and it's ability to respond efficiently and effectively to specific needs over broader, less efficient government entitlements.

Before USA TODAY Sports published her story in July, Scott had raised $190 in two months on the crowdfunding site gofundme.com. By August, she had raised $48,425, with 689 people donating. Many sent $5, some sent several thousand dollars. Donations came from as far away as Norway and as close as her hometown of Springfield, Mo.

There were numerous donations from military members who posted comments such as, "The honor I feel every time I put on my country's uniform is more than I could ever explain. You deserve to experience that feeling representing our country in sport." Others sent messages of support: "I saw you in the paper, wanted to help a little. Give 'em hell" and "Never give up!"

"It saved my career without a doubt," Scott says. "Obviously I was able to continue to skate and pay rent, buy healthy food and survive. ... I feel like I have this huge family that actually cares about me and what I want to do and accomplish. Saying thank you wouldn't be enough. My dad told me the best way to thank them is making the Olympic team and showing them it was worth the money they spent on me."

Thanks to the support from 689 family members she will never meet, her father, Craig, will be able to see her compete for the first time in two years.

Mainly the donations allowed Scott to focus on training. When her stipend was cut to $600, she didn't think that would be possible, given her rent is $500, car payment is $350 and she spends $50 a week on gas, going to training six days a week. When she talked about filling out the food stamps application this summer, she had tears in her eyes.

When the funding arrived, Scott didn't have to follow through on the application and she was able to quit her part-time job. The financial support provided a huge emotional relief, which was evident in her performance on the ice.

Hell, not only was she able to train worry-free, but she didn't have to sign up for entitlements, she quit her job AND she has enough money to bring her dad along with her.

RJ, shooting yourself in the foot is no way to further your own skating career.

Last edited:
I'm supposed to have pity for, and subsidize, someone who willfully chooses a career path with little to no income?
Isn't that a large part of what the Dems are saying when they talk about freeing the Job-locked? Nancy Pelosi thinks these programs are great because the recipients can go be poets if they choose.

LOL RJ believed the liberal media again, and ended up getting publicly embarassed. Facts suck, don't they buddy?

Isn't that a large part of what the Dems are saying when they talk about freeing the Job-locked? Nancy Pelosi thinks these programs are great because the recipients can go be poets if they choose.

If someone wants to try to make money by being a poet but they're stuck as a pencil pusher to get health benefits, we are better off if he can pursue his dream. We waste a lot of human capital by tying affordable health care to employment.

The moral of this story is that thanks to the social safety net and kindness of strangers, a great athlete got to fully utilize her talents to benefit her country. What can we do to make that happen for all Americans?

Last edited:
If someone wants to try to make money by being a poet but they're stuck as a pencil pusher to get health benefits, we are better off if he can pursue his dream. We waste a lot of human capital by tying affordable health care to employment.

The moral of this story is that thanks to the social safety net and kindness of strangers, a great athlete got to fully utilize her talents to benefit her country. What can we do to make that happen for all Americans?
I didn't realize having an actual job prevents one from being an artist and all American's can't "not work" to enable the non-income producing dreams of all Americans (slight logistic problem there).

But.....just to clarify, you think Americans should feel like this:

I didn't realize having an actual job prevents one from being an artist and all American's can't "not work" to enable the non-income producing dreams of all Americans (slight logistic problem there).

But.....just to clarify, you think Americans should feel like this:

No. I explained how I feel. If someone wants to start a small business, it sure helps to not have 40 hours tied down just for affordable health insurance.

And what do you mean by "non-income dreams?" Isn't that for the free market to decide? Don't we want to encourage Americans to take risks and use their talents rather than cram them into convenient cubicles working for the man?

No. I explained how I feel. If someone wants to start a small business, it sure helps to not have 40 hours tied down just for affordable health insurance.

And what do you mean by "non-income dreams?" Isn't that for the free market to decide? Don't we want to encourage Americans to take risks and use their talents rather than cram them into convenient cubicles working for the man?

I want to encourage people to support themselves. Cubicle or cotton field....doesn't really matter.

The king of apologies.

"I am sorry someone else was wrong."

Lol.

It's something you've never done towards me even when shown to be wrong many times.

My bad, you don't have to admit it.

Back