• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Another freshman dorm

JonasDeac

Reaction score
Just saw the news hit Facebook. Taking out more parking by Collins. Where on earth do kids park now? Are freshman even going to be allowed to bring cars soon?

"A new residence hall for first-year students is being planned for the south side of campus next to Collins Residence Hall, on the current site of Parking Lot H.
"The as-yet-unnamed residence hall, projected to open early 2017, includes most of the same amenities as South Hall which opened in fall of 2010."

http://news.wfu.edu/2015/07/17/more-space-for-living-and-learning/

Just saw the news hit Facebook. Taking out more parking by Collins. Where on earth do kids park now? Are freshman even going to be allowed to bring cars soon?

"A new residence hall for first-year students is being planned for the south side of campus next to Collins Residence Hall, on the current site of Parking Lot H.
"The as-yet-unnamed residence hall, projected to open early 2017, includes most of the same amenities as South Hall which opened in fall of 2010."

http://news.wfu.edu/2015/07/17/more-space-for-living-and-learning/

When I was a freshman, first year students were not allowed to have cars.

They will never ban cars completely because they have plenty parking at the football stadium and they make $TEXAS off the registration fees. Freshmen already have to park over there and sophomores have to park in the lot next to the DKE house on Polo where the freshmen used to have to park.

Maybe now they will shove the sophomores off to BB&T Field too and make the juniors park on Polo

The scary thing is thinking about how many new freshmen they must plan on adding if they already need another building for them. Have to think it would house about ~200-250. Multiply that by four years and the enrollment has increased by another 1,000 students

The scary thing is thinking about how many new freshmen they must plan on adding if they already need another building for them. Have to think it would house about ~200-250. Multiply that by four years and the enrollment has increased by another 1,000 students

hopefully it's partially so they can renovate some of the older dorms.

They aren't adding more freshmen. They are likely going to convert Luter to upperclass housing. Upperclassmen have a major squeeze on space as many more than anticipated are choosing to stay on campus for their 4th year. The past few years lounges and open spaces have been converted to triples to create space. Now those spaces can return to their intended purpose.

RTQ is also correct. They want overflow space in case the quad renovations don't get completed each summer.

They aren't adding more freshmen. They are likely going to convert Luter to upperclass housing. Upperclassmen have a major squeeze on space as many more than anticipated are choosing to stay on campus for their 4th year. The past few years lounges and open spaces have been converted to triples to create space. Now those spaces can return to their intended purpose.

RTQ is also correct. They want overflow space in case the quad renovations don't get completed each summer.

sorry man -- mo' freshmen for sure

sorry man -- mo' freshmen for sure

If that's the case we're going to need another new dorm after this one. And the administration is just full of liars. As recently as last fall provost said no intention to add to enrollment. Really disappointing.

Yeah, I know about the renovation plan, but don't think for a minute that the idea of having more space for freshmen at some point down the road after those renovations are done isn't in the back of their minds.

That area always seemed like the most logical place for a parking deck.

Sorry to see more green space bite the dust. Pretty soon Wake will be a concrete jungle.

If that's the case we're going to need another new dorm after this one. And the administration is just full of liars. As recently as last fall provost said no intention to add to enrollment. Really disappointing.

They've got a waiting list of people willing to throw down up to $60K a year. Makes business sense to make more room for them. Not educational sense, but definitely business sense.

Last edited:
Also, I think students now are required to live on campus for their first 3 years, so that adds more bodies needing rooms.

I know that some juniors coming back from abroad have been forced to live off campus second semester in recent years because there was no place on campus to put them. So in that respect, maybe they need more space. I always liked that Wake guaranteed you housing for four years, and I don't know if they do that any more.

That said, it's scary in that it easily enables them to increase enrollment significantly. All they have to do is change the three-year residency requirement back to two years and all of a sudden they have a ton of space to fill on campus

They can just park in all the dead business parking lots around Deacon Blvd.

so I'm totally disconnected from actual student life at Wake for the past, like, 10 years. How do kids get to and from their cars at the football stadium? They run a shuttle I guess? How often does it run? Where do the cars go on game day (as if our giant parking lot was ever 100% filled on game day, but still)? So many questions #oldswanttoknow

What renovations are planned for the dorms on the quad?

so I'm totally disconnected from actual student life at Wake for the past, like, 10 years. How do kids get to and from their cars at the football stadium? They run a shuttle I guess? How often does it run? Where do the cars go on game day (as if our giant parking lot was ever 100% filled on game day, but still)? So many questions #oldswanttoknow

+1

I didn't have a car til soph year, but from then on it was always pretty easy to park in Q and then up by Polo. In retrospect that was great. And freshman year I lived in Piccolo, so even though I didn't have a car, all my friends that did got to park like 10 ft away from our dorm.

Back