• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Another freshman dorm

Found this on the WFU site. I imagine they are going to do about the same thing to all the quad dorms. http://rlh.wfu.edu/kitchin-hall-renovation-project-update/

The Kitchin Hall Renovation Project will take place in two phases; a partial renovation this summer and then completion will take place Summer 2016. The major refurbishment and improvements include: new doors, windows, floors and ceilings. The bathrooms are being gutted and remodeled. A new HVAC system, adding a fresher make-up will be installed.

Closets in the rooms are being removed and will be replaced with wardrobes that have built-in drawers; this will assist in providing more livable space and give the rooms more furniture configuration options. There will be all new furniture that is more versatile and will resemble furniture in the newer residence hall’s furniture; desks will be narrower.

New beds will be installed that are able to be adjusted to a reasonable height that will allow dressers underneath. These beds will also allow more flexibility to be bunked and unbunked as roommates wish.

Much of the work to Kitchin Hall will take place this summer and the project will be complete in Summer 2016. The next phase of the work during Summer 2016 will include building an overhang to shield the top floor walkways from inclement weather. The Kitchin Hall courtyard will also be renovated.

As an aside, I was hall director for a quad dorm for 2 years in law school. Those things were built to house 1950s tech (i.e. each student MIGHT have brought a clock radio and a hairdryer to school). The amount of rewiring done over the years to incorporate ever-escalating electrical loads and then computer networking is amazing. There are some closets totally given over to wiring space. As a non-electrician they looked terrifying to me, just massive tangles of wiring and fuse boxes everywhere. Don't get how the whole place didn't short out and burn down long ago.

Not having the overhang was the best part of living on the 4th floor. Just sit out front with some cocktails and play some music through the window.

Why don't they just build a six story Georgian parking deck?

so I'm totally disconnected from actual student life at Wake for the past, like, 10 years. How do kids get to and from their cars at the football stadium? They run a shuttle I guess? How often does it run? Where do the cars go on game day (as if our giant parking lot was ever 100% filled on game day, but still)? So many questions #oldswanttoknow

They run shuttles fairly frequently over to BB&T, but a lot of the freshmen will do the $5 Uber ride if they don't want to wait. There are also shuttles to the major apartment complexes (Deacon Ridge, Crowne Polo, etc.) and a shuttle that runs to downtown on Thursday-Saturday nights - they are really trying to decrease the need for people to have cars on campus.

Students have to move their cars on game days, not a big deal since there are only six of them a year. Most of them are obviously Saturdays, when anyone is allowed to park on campus anyway, or for a Thursday game I think they can move them to the church parking lot on Polo.

They run shuttles fairly frequently over to BB&T, but a lot of the freshmen will do the $5 Uber ride if they don't want to wait. There are also shuttles to the major apartment complexes (Deacon Ridge, Crowne Polo, etc.) and a shuttle that runs to downtown on Thursday-Saturday nights - they are really trying to decrease the need for people to have cars on campus.

it's a sad day when thurston has to take the uber to his tahoe so he can pledge drive.

i just hope that they're as strict on tickets as they were when i was there. nothing like paying 30k a year to employ a bunch of a ticket writers to patrol q.

actually i guess thats what the $500 parking pass bought you... or the $300 in tickets.

it's a sad day when thurston has to take the uber to his tahoe so he can pledge drive.

Are the Uber drivers the poors and middles who can't pay $60K a year?

Wake could build some parking decks if they wanted. One could go in the lot beside Worrell and they could build one on the side of Q beside Scales. The lot beside student apartments is another option. Why don't they build new dorms over a two level parking deck?

Why don't they just build a six story Georgian parking deck?

SMU has four-story, Georgian parking decks and they actually look fine and blend in with the rest of the campus well.

Wake could build some parking decks if they wanted. One could go in the lot beside Worrell and they could build one on the side of Q beside Scales. The lot beside student apartments is another option. Why don't they build new dorms over a two level parking deck?

That would make sense.

i just hope that they're as strict on tickets as they were when i was there. nothing like paying 30k a year to employ a bunch of a ticket writers to patrol q.

Not only are they as strict, the tickets are like 4x more expensive.

Parking decks do cost an ungodly amount of money to build but Wake could afford it. I think President Hearn was opposed to one maybe for aesthetic reasons, but I don't know why a deck has apparently remained a non-option, especially considering the massive parking shortage on campus.

Parking decks do cost an ungodly amount of money to build but Wake could afford it. I think President Hearn was opposed to one maybe for aesthetic reasons, but I don't know why a deck has apparently remained a non-option, especially considering the massive parking shortage on campus.

Probably because they can run a shuttle to BB&T for 1,000 years for the cost of building a deck, combined with the fact that people are apparently lining up to pay $65,000/year without demanding the building of a deck,and the fact that there are no big donors lining up to put their name on the Deacon923 Class of 1998 Parking Structure. It's a very expensive solution looking for a problem.

That said, if I was WFU I would definitely have put two stories of parking under each of those new upperclassmen dorms. They could upcharge the aforesaid $65,000/year students for the parking sticker required to park there and make the money back fairly quickly I think.

Do parking decks cost that much more than any of the new construction on campus?

Back