• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Another Fucking Passenger Plane suffers an "accident"

Never attribute to malevolence that which can be ascribed to incompetence. The problem for the rebels is that they are engaged in a massive coverup that they won't get away with. Western intelligence has been keeping track of this area. It knows what was fired and is confident it knows who from Russia was overseeing the operation. Supposedly, the launcher has already been moved back to Russia.

Apparently this missile system is pretty complex and whoever operated it would have to be either Russian trained or actually Russian forces sent into the Ukraine. I say this because-- in today's day and age how does a passenger aircraft get shot down and Russia's prints are all over it, and they borderline get away with it?

Putin doesn't care and no one wants to go to war.

Putin doesn't care and no one wants to go to war.

Pretty much. He's got a pass from the international community if he wants to start a series of low intensity conflicts. Letting this happen is probably the single dumbest thing he could do, because it's most likely to make him look like the huge jerk he probably is.

It shows how much rope he has at his disposal since he basically supplied his bad guys with an advanced weapon system which was turned on an unarmed passenger jet full of Aids researchers, and people still DGAS enough to do anything about it. Scary.

BtHUQWnCUAErn4G.jpg

I have seen nothing from Putin in the several years that he has been running the show that would suggest he gives a fuck.

Time to reincarnate Reagan. If we're going to have massive debt, we might as well have a successful foreign policy.

Time to reincarnate Reagan. If we're going to have massive debt, we might as well have a successful foreign policy.

What, so he can give a medal to a ship captain for shooting down an airliner like he did for the Vincennes captain in the wake of shooting down Iran Air Flight 655 and killing 290 people - along with never formally apologizing or admitting fault? Not even Putin has the balls to pull that "fuck you" to the world off.

Sadly, nuclear armed super powers pretty much get to do whatever the fuck they want and they don't have to apologize for it. The USA does this all the time, and enjoys the privilege immensely. To quote G.H.W Bush (then the Vice President) after the Iran Air Flight 655 shootdown:

"I will never apologize for the United States — I don't care what the facts are... I'm not an apologize-for-America kind of guy."

I feel like Putin probably has that framed on his wall, as a reminder of how immune you are when you have a bunch of nuclear tipped ballistic missiles in your pocket and giant oceans of oil in your backyard.

Last edited:
Well not everyone can write off an airplane disaster as just being an example of American supremacy.

I'll never forget that summer day in 1983 when Flight 007, the Korean airliner, was shot down by the Soviets. I was on Cape Cod, where Secretary of State George Shultz called me at 7 in the morning. After telling me what had happened, he said he was sending down a plane to bring me to Washington for an emergency meeting at the White House.

"I'll be ready," I said. "But what does the President think about this?"
"He's still asleep," said Shultz. "He doesn't know about it yet."
"You've got to be kidding," I said. "You mean you`re calling me before you've even notified the President?"

"We'll tell him when he wakes up," said Shultz.
From Tip O'Neil's memoir.

CBS REPORTER DEBORAH POTTER: At the time, officials said, there were no plans for the president to cut short his vacation, and he went for his regular horseback ride on his mountaintop ranch. Aides said that anything he could do at the White House he could do there.
Potter went on to report that Reagan returned to D.C. because "officials here began to worry that, given the circumstances, it wouldn't have looked right for the president to stay on his ranch."

Ronald Reagan, everyone!

But before we go, let's read what Ronald Reagan himself said in his own diary about the incident (thanks Daily Show from Monday night!):

Friday, September 2nd.
The Soviets shot down a Korean airliner with 269 passengers, 53 of them Americans including Congressman Larry McDonald. We were due to return to Washington on Labor Day, but realized we couldn't wait. We left on Friday.

It was heartbreaking -- I really looked forward to those last three days.

That was the true tragedy of September 2nd, 1983. Ronald Reagan had his 25 day vacation cut short...by 3 days.

Update me...can a president take a vacation or not? Or does it depend if he is from your party?

Update me...can a president take a vacation or not? Or does it depend if he is from your party?

Of course.

However, a President shouldn't hint in their own fucking memoir that the worst part about the loss of 269 lives was that he was forced to give up the final 3 days of a 25 day vacation.

I haven't read his memoir as I am sure you haven't. I would bet there is more context than the daily show provided.

Back