• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

any word on Daniel Green

They can't even answer Dan's question honestly. The incompetence in our AD has moved beyond stunning...

Just as long as we are thinking from the neck up this season. That will really demonstrate that we've improved our minds.

Do not count on much from DGreen this year. Dont know why they havent released the info yet.

This article makes zero sense to me. I'm a musculoskeletal radiologist. Can't think of any reason why you would wait a week, much less three to do an MRI. Surgery maybe, but imaging no. The only reason I can think of to wait on swelling would be if it affected positioning for the acqusition of images. This is a nonissue with a knee. I trained at a place that covered a lot of prominent athletes as well as several college teams. If players had any kind of pain or injury to a joint, even minor, they were usually immediately MRI'd the next day as a safety procaution. If he hurt his knee and failed to have an MRI for three weeks it would be a beyond pathetic incompetent Bush league move on WFU. Given the current state of the WFU AD I have to assume this level of mismanagement is possible, but not probable.

More than likely he had the MRI done and there is some kind of badness there (which goes along with what Baby said). Why Buzzy won't be forthright and honest about the status of a backup center on a terrible team is beyond me. Not sure what he is trying to hide unless he is waiting to hold on to the losing Daniel Green excuse card to play closer to the season opener thinking that it would carry more value then.

I am no musculoskeletal radiologist (say that 3x), but I would hazard to guess he has strained or partially torn the repaired ACL. When they do that knee looseness ACL test though - the one anyone can do by sitting on the foot and pulling up and down on the joint, his knee seems stable so they need to wait to determine how much looseness he has in his knee when he has no swelling.

If he needs surgery again, there is no harm in waiting now because he could wait for months to have that and he'd be "ready" for October 2014. Since he has already sat out a year for this, maybe you want to give the kid a chance to heal the partially torn ACL (8 weeks? 10?) and see how much he can give between now and December before you pull the plug and re-operate - and the assumption he knows the risks.

I partially tore a previously reconstructed ACL at the beginning of the summer and it has been totally different than the original injury in that I have total stability in the knee - until I corkscrew it swinging my kid around or something and I know it's not fully healed (and may not heal). The original injury, it was really unstable from the get go until I got the reconstruction surgery.

More than likely he had the MRI done and there is some kind of badness there (which goes along with what Baby said). Why Buzzy won't be forthright and honest about the status of a backup center on a terrible team is beyond me. Not sure what he is trying to hide unless he is waiting to hold on to the losing Daniel Green excuse card to play closer to the season opener thinking that it would carry more value then.[/QUOTE]

I feel for the kid, but the fact is all he likely would have given us this coming year is 10-15 minutes and a few rebounds. He wasn't going to be a difference maker. When you have Bzdelick as a coach, nothing really matters anyway. It's all bad.

Well, partially torn ACLs can heal or they cannot heal, so there is some wiggle room to the prognosis. He might heal up and be good for the year. He might partially heal up and be able to play but be vulnerable to another re-injury in the season. He may not heal up and require another surgery and miss the year.

That's how I'm looking at it, but I do come at this on the assumption that our basketball staff and athletic department are not the evil empire.

Well, partially torn ACLs can heal or they cannot heal, so there is some wiggle room to the prognosis. He might heal up and be good for the year. He might partially heal up and be able to play but be vulnerable to another re-injury in the season. He may not heal up and require another surgery and miss the year.

That's how I'm looking at it, but I do come at this on the assumption that our basketball staff and athletic department are not the evil empire.

Makes sense. Maybe that is why Buzz was so cryptic in the interview.

Bz could have just said this.

MRI's on recently repaired ACL's, depending on how the procedure was done, can be very misleading. Just the surgery itself leaves MRI noise for 12+ months. While it's uncommon to wait on an MRI immediately after an initial injury, it's very common to delay or avoid one in the event of a rehab injury. In some cases they'll just scope it without even bothering with the MRI in repaired ligaments.

MRI's on recently repaired ACL's, depending on how the procedure was done, can be very misleading. Just the surgery itself leaves MRI noise for 12+ months. While it's uncommon to wait on an MRI immediately after an initial injury, it's very common to delay or avoid one in the event of a rehab injury. In some cases they'll just scope it without even bothering with the MRI in repaired ligaments.

Not trying to argue and don't know your background, but the radiologist above didn't really seem to agree with this.

Not trying to argue and don't know your background, but the radiologist above didn't really seem to agree with this.

I basically cut and pasted that from my orthopedic surgeon's emails. I've had two ligament repair surgeries.

True. Not sure why Dan didn't talk to the medical staff.

Does Wake allow access to those people? Or is that one of those things where if someone like Dan digs too deeply they get excommunicated?

There is a little truth to this, but they are still going to get an MRI even with the recent repair. There is a difference (like it or not) in how they are going to treat Daniel Green's knee vs. DCDeac's knee. The "common man" is worked up in very different manner than the collegiate or professional athlete. Yes, there may be some artifact and the results MAY be inconclusive especially with a partial tear, but chances of seeing a full tear are pretty good, even with the artifact. Even if there is artifact localized to the ACL graft, the surgeon will still want to evaluate for other injuries (meniscal tear or MCL) which could also have occurred at the same time. Sure, they may scope a "normal person" knee blind in the case of high suspicion of reinjury...but trust me, they are going to do an MRI on an athlete like this before cutting simply to have all the information they possibly can before going in.

Last edited:
There is a little truth to this, but they are still going to get an MRI even with the recent repair. There is a difference (like it or not) in how they are going to treat Daniel Green's knee vs. DCDeac's knee. The "common man" is worked upi n very different manner than the collegiate or professional athlete. Yes, there may be some artifact and there results MAY be inconclusive especially with a partial tear, but chances of seeing a full tear are pretty good, even with the artifact. Even if there is artifact localized to the ACL graft, the surgeon will still want to evaluate for other injuries (meniscal tear or MCL) which could also have occurred at the same time. Sure, they may scope a "normal person" knee blind in the case of high suspicion of reinjury...but trust me, they are going to do an MRI on an athlete like this before cutting simply to have all the information they possibly can before going in.

Actually because I had an inside track, my guy was the Atlanta Hawks guy. My first injury was during my senior year of high school basketball and I had an outside shot at playing in college depending on where I went. Obviously not at Wake. But my treatment wasn't much different than a scholarship college player. I can rattle off a dozen examples of professional - not even college - athletes that had knee scopes without MRI's with significant previous damage, but it doesn't really matter.

The main point here is that it's ridiculous to act like all the Wake doctors are idiots and [Redacted] is a liar or whatever other inane assumptions are being drawn from simply waiting on an MRI that will very likely be non-conclusive.

I think it's pretty odd that a radiologist would critique other doctors without knowing the details of the patient outside of messageboard rumors. But hey, maybe they are just all liars and morons.

Or BabyDeac is just wrong. Buzz isn't being cryptic and it truly was just a tweak injury.

Given BabyDeac's track record, it's not likely.

Green is rehabbing now though so that's good, whatever the injury is in the first place.

Back