• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anyone still wear neck ties?

There is a Brooks Brothers outlet 10 minutes from my apartment.

the Brooks Brothers outlet is different from the one at the actual factory. the regular outlets sell their outlet brand, 346, which isn't near the quality of the regular stuff, which you can find at the factory.

JCrew has the same deal with their factories in Asheville and Lynchburg. I've found tons of great stuff in the Lburg store -- like $200 sweaters for $20, $400 blazers for $50, etc. Some things have holes, missing buttons, or stains, but on most other stuff it's indistinguishable, you just have to inspect stuff like a hawk.

If you like Brooks Bros., be sure to hit up theri outlet store in Garland, N.C. (they have a shirt factory nearby); not too far out of the way for most people going to the Wilmington-Myrtle Beach area on vacation. For the most part these are actually factory seconds and not discontinued/overruns, so you can get some great deals on ties that for the most part you have a hard time finding the defect. I've only bought a few things in the shirt/sweater line from there and never had any problems, but whenever I go I see a lot of exec/politician/judge-types walking out with suits and telling the ladies at the counter "see you next time", so all of their stuff must be of o.k. quality.

This place is legit

If you like Brooks Bros., be sure to hit up theri outlet store in Garland, N.C. (they have a shirt factory nearby); not too far out of the way for most people going to the Wilmington-Myrtle Beach area on vacation. For the most part these are actually factory seconds and not discontinued/overruns, so you can get some great deals on ties that for the most part you have a hard time finding the defect. I've only bought a few things in the shirt/sweater line from there and never had any problems, but whenever I go I see a lot of exec/politician/judge-types walking out with suits and telling the ladies at the counter "see you next time", so all of their stuff must be of o.k. quality.

I used to go there when I was in med school down east. They do have good stuff. Not everything is worth it, but a lot of it is. It's very different/cheaper than the "outlet" stores at Tanger or whatever.

I have some BB ties but I think the way I tie them the knot ends up too small for my taste. I prefer Michael Kors, DKNY, etc. Seem to tie better (i.e bigger knot and still hang the right length) for me and look better. Not sure of the quality to be honest.

Does anyone purchase from Paul Fredrick, shirts or ties? They have some really strange styles.

Do you need to have the sleeves shortened? I find that a strange concept. All of the catalogs that I have received show all the shirts on sale at good prices; but I would require having the sleeves shortened at something like $12 per shirt...just seems weird.
I have never had to have a sleeve shortened. I have been ordering a lot more of the shirts ready for cuff-links because the price is the same. I just like them better. I would also recommend getting the neck 1/2 more than your regular size because the neck will shrink tilt deac noted. If I was buying a Brooks Brothers shirt I would get 16/32, but with CT I will order 16.5/33. Also, if a front pocket is important to you, don't order from them because the shirts don't have one. It took me a month to stop trying to put a pen in to a front pocket that did not exist.

Does anyone purchase from Paul Fredrick, shirts or ties? They have some really strange styles.

I've often thought about ordering a shirt from Paul Frederick because their special in Esquire appears to be a steal. I'm just skeptical about buying something before trying it on.

Brooks Brothers all cotton shirts shrink unpredictably in my experience. I have to buy a half inch larger in the neck and hope the sleeves don't shrink.

I've ordered just a couple ties from thetiebar so far. Pretty high quality IMO, and for $15 you can't go wrong. The silk one I bought feels really well built and ties a nice knot.

I'm outfitting my groomsmen next month in linen ties from thetiebar (a little thinner with not as nice a knot, but it's linen so that's probably why) and plain white shirts from Paul Fredrick using the $19.95/shirt special. I've ordered from them before, they're decent for a $20 shirt -- better fit and more size options than anything you can get at a department store -- but not as nice as Brooks Brothers.

TJ Maxx or Marahall's. $15 max. Tommy, Brooks Bros, Burberry, etc. I wear ties everyday though, and try to keep my repeats low, especially in front of juries, etc.

The Garland outlet has started carrying the outlet ones as well as the factory ones. Not a trend I want to see continue.

Stein Mart used to be a great source for decent quality ties and occasionally shirts also.

I've often thought about ordering a shirt from Paul Frederick because their special in Esquire appears to be a steal. I'm just skeptical about buying something before trying it on.

I've bought some basic blue/white dress shirts from them. Good value, hold up well, have always fit well as delivered. But stick to the basics with them. They have good value on cuff links too if you're so inclined. Their ties suck though, thin material so you end up with tiny retro 80's style knot even in a double windsor.

And I only wear ties to funerals now. Sole reason I started my own company.

I used to be a shirt snob. I started with custom shirts but I realized they sucked and couldn't hold up to the dry cleaner. So I switched to Brooks Brothers and have bought probably 30 or so over the years. The real deal for shirts, however, is Costco. I like them every bit as much as my Brooks Brother shirts. And something like $17.00, FTW.

I used to be a shirt snob. I started with custom shirts but I realized they sucked and couldn't hold up to the dry cleaner. So I switched to Brooks Brothers and have bought probably 30 or so over the years. The real deal for shirts, however, is Costco. I like them every bit as much as my Brooks Brother shirts. And something like $17.00, FTW.

I was in Costco today and noticed the $17.00 shirts. Would never have thought to buy one. I'll have to give them a try.

I ordered a brooks brother tie on rue la la.

It's a fucking skinny tie.

You're better than that brooks brothers.

Family friend started the business. They have good quality stuff. Also will embroider cuff links. Definitely some good inexpensive dress shirts.

Family friend started the business. They have good quality stuff. Also will embroider cuff links. Definitely some good inexpensive dress shirts.

That is good to know. I have ordered several items and, apart from their $20 promotional shirts (what can you expect for $20), I have found their quality to be quite good. They have a remarkable range of shirt styles and sizes.

TJ Maxx or Marahall's. $15 max. Tommy, Brooks Bros, Burberry, etc. I wear ties everyday though, and try to keep my repeats low, especially in front of juries, etc.

The Garland outlet has started carrying the outlet ones as well as the factory ones. Not a trend I want to see continue.

This. I always check out the tie selection at these places. Half the time I won't find anything, but when I do it's totally worth it.

Oh. And no self-respecting professional wears a skinny tie to work.

Back