• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Appalachian State

Wake should play Appalachian every year in football. Preferably at the end of the year. I know they used to play a lot.

I looked it up because I wasn't aware of the exact history: Wake played App every year between 1979 and 1996, all in Winston-Salem.

Deacs went 77-121-2 from 1979-1996, but specifically 13-4-1 against App.

Last edited:
Amazing that people still respond and fail to realize that he’s a troll

As an App grad (1989) and longtime Wake fan, I will give my opinion. 25 - 30 years ago Wake was the team that ASU fans really wanted to be our in state rival. Wake fans disagreed. We knew Wake was from the mighty ACC and felt like we had a chance for national exposure and felt like we had a fighting chance to win. Wake fans had no interest because there was little to no upside. Wake beats ASU? So what, you beat a Southern Conference team. Wake is supposed to beat Southern Conference teams. Wake loses (and they did a few times) and it really hurts their bowl chances, national ranking, etc. No upside. Understandable opinion. Obnoxious ASU fans fanned the flames and Wake fans dislike of ASU grew. Most Wake fans wanted ASU off the schedule and that eventually happened. I think most of the current fans that really have a problem with ASU lived through those times.

Since those times both Wake and ASU have experienced some great football achievements. Most of the younger Wake fans that I talked to have a different viewpoint than the Wake fans from my generation. Wake's football success has allowed their fans to focus on much bigger goals. I'm sure many are tired of the national exposure (especially the last few weeks) ASU has received but overall it appears to me that currently both Wake and ASU have much more in common. Wake is obviously still much more dominant overall in athletics as well as academically. I think many Wake fan's continued dislike of UNC and State and the obvious media bias towards those schools has reduced the fan friction between Wake and ASU. I'm not suggesting any rivalry because it is still one-sided but less so than in the past.

Back