• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Appalachian State

Re: App moving up the conference ladder -- I will say the Sun Belt has been hugely rewarded for going after successful programs, whereas CUSA's idea of just going after schools that happen to be located in big markets hasn't exactly worked. So hopefully this will be taken into account more in conference expansion.

That said, based on the teams the AAC just added, it doesn't seem to have changed the approach much as of yet

Stopping in Boone for lunch on the way to Bristol for the weekend. This place is buzzing, and almost every business is slobbing GameDay's knob.
Those same businesses are just as hyped and buzzing over APP on a typical weekday even when is game is not in town, which is why APP State is such a good choice for GameDay. When you hit North Wilkesboro you're already entering APP Country with billboards, businesses, vehicles and residences showing APP colors and logos, while at Wake you'd have a hard time knowing Wake is even there when you get a few blocks from campus. And we're no different than NCSU and Duke and most other non-"flagship" state universities for the most part. If you're not familiar with Boone and how APP permeates the region's culture, you may want to check in with GD tomorrow.

To be honest is you asked the same 100 people about Wake the response would probably be identical.
I get a “that’s a great school” every time someone knows I went to Wake. Our name recognition destroys App State.

First, I have visited a lot of football stadiums and certainly appreciate enthusiastic support for the home team, however, I will neither forgive nor forget their obscene and drunken fans when I attended the Wake game in 2017. The vulgar references to WFU women in attendance demonstrated their absolute lack of class, even in the presence of their own children. The misogynist Neanderthals certainly set a great example for their children. After multiple complaints, the security staff finally bothered to address their juvenile behavior and threats of violence. I will always support any other team that plays against this despicable excuse for a university!

First, I have visited a lot of football stadiums and certainly appreciate enthusiastic support for the home team, however, I will neither forgive nor forget their obscene and drunken fans when I attended the Wake game in 2017. The vulgar references to WFU women in attendance demonstrated their absolute lack of class, even in the presence of their own children. The misogynist Neanderthals certainly set a great example for their children. After multiple complaints, the security staff finally bothered to address their juvenile behavior and threats of violence. I will always support any other team that plays against this despicable excuse for a university!
I hate app as much as the next guy, but let’s not pretend like Wake frat stars have a moral leg to stand on.

Fuck man, I think enough time has passed since 2017 and I'm pretty sure Ed Hardin published info about it in a column ...

Jaboree Williams got spit on going into halftime of the 2017 game up there. In retrospect, shocking that it wasn't more of a big deal. I don't even remember any kind of pushing/shoving going on. All we got from Clawson after the game was "Something happened at halftime that provided a spark that we’ll keep private." (something in the locker room?) "So we’ll keep it private." None of the players would elaborate on it. Ed secured the info but I can't find any mention of it.

I've got a handful of friends who went to and/or work at App and I'm happy for them when App is successful. But damn they've got some of the worst fucking people as fans.

Was at the game and experienced none of that. But that's just my experience FWIW.

Never known app fame to be overly vulgar or violent but Jesus they’re annoying and Boone on game day is one of the worst places on earth.

Does it make me weird that I watched most of that video?

App state fans are the most annoying fan base in the state. They think they are elite because of a fluke win 15 years ago and that they have the best "fall vibes." They will be humbled by JMU.

and Boone is a mediocre college town full of rich kids from Charlotte who want to pretend to be outdoorsy. Like cool, you have a Nalgene bottle with a Yosef sticker on it and take golden hour pics at grandfather mountain once a year in october.

App state fans are the most annoying fan base in the state. They think they are elite because of a fluke win 15 years ago and that they have the best "fall vibes." They will be humbled by JMU.

and Boone is a mediocre college town full of rich kids from Charlotte who want to pretend to be outdoorsy. Like cool, you have a Nalgene bottle with a Yosef sticker on it and take golden hour pics at grandfather mountain once a year in october.

Strong first post.

The Appalachian State thread on OGB gets posted earlier and earlier every year. Between week 2-3 is a new record!

Back