• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are Clawson and Ed Hardin right? Wake Football needs ASU series?

If we can't beat App State, we probably aren't minor bowl worthy anyway.

We could be good enough to beat them at home and go to a minor bowl but have the whole thing go down the drain because we agreed to play them away in ambush city.

Never should we play in Boone.

Yes we need this series. Glad it's back on especially since App. has moved up. Good article.

Always fun to object to playing App or a FCS teams or whomever, but here are the realities:

- WF has to play 4 OOC games
- WF must play at least one OOC game against a Power V school
- Every FBS team (but 3 - ND, USC and UCLA) plays FCS teams (that includes Bama, FSU, Clemson, tOSU); those games serve specific purposes (guaranteed home game, break in a brutal 3 month stretch, likely win); WF is going to play FCS teams get over it;
- FBS Football is business, and selling tickets matters (and helps the program and the Athletic Department)
- The rules have changed: MOST FBS SCHOOLS LIKE APP INSIST ON HOME AND HOME's (so saying "I'm OK with playing App, but only at Groves" just is not reality; Miami played at App last year; UNC played at ODU last week; Ok State played at South Alabama this year)

Given those realities, anyone claiming WF shouldn't play App or play home and homes with App, who do you want WF to play?

Given that WF is in the same division as Clemson, FSU, L'ville, WF can't schedule more than two OOC games against other Power V schools. Just not in WF's interest to over-schedule; it's an quick path to disappointing seasons.

IMO, WF gets close to nothing playing against remote FBS schools that have no connection to WF (e.g., Utah State, UL-Monroe).

So, that doesn't leave a ton of alternatives. IMO, in a perfect world, WF OOC schedule should look like this:

1. A home FCS game (preferably against a NC/VA/SC team; the closer to W-S, the better)
2. A home and home against a reasonably high profile Power V team (ND, any SEC team, almost any Big 10 team)
3. Home and home or 3 for 2 against a regional FBS team (App, ECU, ODU, maybe Charlotte, Coastal)
4. Another FBS opponent that WF should beat more than it loses to (Army, Navy, Marshall, Rice, UCONN or another random American Conference or Sun Belt team - the closer the better)

I was initially opposed to starting this series back up, but I have come around. I'll be in Boone on Saturday tailgating with a mixed group of Wake and App friends. Should be a great time.

Glad to see that all Wake alums and reps aren't cowards like Biff and crew

I'd glad the series is back. Fan apathy is contagious and the football team needs all the local goodwill and attention it can get these days.

No matter what you say, it's a bad loss for an ACC team! An expected win and a bad loss.

No matter what you say, it's a bad loss for an ACC team! An expected win and a bad loss.

Yeah it would be, but if we're going to hold ourselves out to be an ACC team and an improved program, we should be able to go play a Sun Belt team and win. If we can't then it shows we're not close to where we need to be.

0376_highlight-512592969a584.jpeg

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BiffTannen again.

I like the games with App State because it's a fun game day atmosphere. At the end of the day, for me, that's what college football as a Wake Forest fan is all about, as opposed to folks who really give a shit about jeopardizing our chances of going to the Sheinhardt Wig Company Bowl in Detroit on Christmas Eve.

+1

I'm looking forward to staying in the mountains, tailgating this fucker, and hopefully leaving with a convincing win.

I want to go bowling, too.

0fc.gif

You want to play school that didn't even field a team in 2016 but fret about playing Presbyterian ? And how many players do we get from Alabama anyway ?

Also, based on that schedule, we would have had to win three out of those four games to make a bowl last year.

I don't fret playing Presbyterian. They are the equivalent of playing a HS team. UAB plays in an FBS conference so they will be far superior to Presby in terms of competition. Also, Birmingham is only an hour and a half from Atlanta. We recruit Georgia heavily. I just don't believe we should ever play an FCS school. It does nothing for us.

In the first few years under Clawson, our talent level was terrible so it might have been okay to schedule a high school game or two. We're not there any more. The schedule should reflect that.

In regard to making a bowl game, if we are relying on a victory over a high school level team to get to a bowl, then we have bigger problems. We just need to get better as a program and we are well on our way. Scheduling FCS schools doesn't make us better and we are ill prepared for actually playing real competition. We've got to challenge ourselves without going crazy.

Last edited:
Every team in the country almost plays an FCS team.

I don't fret playing Presbyterian. They are the equivalent of playing a HS team. UAB plays in an FBS conference so they will be far superior to Presby in terms of competition. Also, Birmingham is only an hour and a half from Atlanta. We recruit Georgia heavily. I just don't believe we should ever play an FCS school. It does nothing for us.

In regard to making a bowl game, if we are relying on a victory over a high school level team to get to a bowl, then we have bigger problems. We just need to get better as a program and we are well on our way. Scheduling FCS schools doesn't do that for us and we're ill prepared for actually playing real

Funny, the fact that all but 3 FBS schools scheduled FCS schools seems to not support your position. I doubt that many schools would be scheduling games that in your words make them "ill prepared for actually playing real competition." Again, I'm fine with playing an all FBS schedule if it's a subdivision wide policy. If it isn't, there is no reason to put us behind the 8 ball compared to other schools when making a bowl game, even a "crappy" one, is a big advantage for the program.

Funny, the fact that all but 3 FBS schools scheduled FCS schools seems to not support your position. I doubt that many schools would be scheduling games that in your words make them "ill prepared for actually playing real competition." Again, I'm fine with playing an all FBS schedule if it's a subdivision wide policy. If it isn't, there is no reason to put us behind the 8 ball compared to other schools when making a bowl game, even a "crappy" one, is a big advantage for the program.

Sadly, I must agree with you on this point. But these FCS games still suck.

Playing FCS game every year gives us scheduling flexibility. That way we can play ND in Charlotte and still have at least 6 home games every year, and it allows us to have 7 home games once in a while. Wake is enough behind the 8 ball with size without putting a self imposed limitation that nobody else follows.

Back