• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are we living in a simulation?

No. It doesn't prove that we are living in a simulation.

Maybe.

Solipsism and Nihilism stocks are going through the roof.

This has some parallels to a god or religious connotation, but if we were living in the Matrix would there be distinguishable things within our simulation that would be identifiable to us as glitches? I tend to think there wouldn't be.

I don't think the Oscars "proved" anything, but I tend to lean yes on this question... don't think it particularly matters though

What if rjk simulated taking a rancid, black peanut filled dump and then posted it on biff tannen's Facebook page?

Did the Oscars Just Prove That We Are Living in a Computer Simulation?

Inspired by this articular, discuss.

There does seem to be a lot of weird stuff happening. If we end up making the Final 4 at some point in my lifetime, then we'll know the Matrix is real.

Wow, that is really bending over backwards to explain why Trump won. It can't be that the other candidate was, as incredible as it seems, even more flawed. No, no, that's not it. Let's see - oh, I know, our whole universe is a simulation being run by future versions of ourselves, or aliens or something, and they are just having fun with us... Yea, that must be it.

I think you missed the point of the article.

Well, I thought the point was that stuff has been happening that is so weird and unexplainable that we must be living in a simulated universe where someone is messing with the parameters - or something in the structure is screwed up. And that one big example of this (along with others) is the election results in the US. If it was something else please enlighten me.

Well, I thought the point was that stuff has been happening that is so weird and unexplainable that we must be living in a simulated universe where someone is messing with the parameters - or something in the structure is screwed up. And that one big example of this (along with others) is the election results in the US. If it was something else please enlighten me.

Yes, and Trump getting elected clearly bucked the norm of what is expected within our social parameters. It's one of many things that was listed.

It's a flawed article, but the point isn't a list of seemingly impossible things that have happened... It's a theory based on the idea that we agree that AI will eventually be developed (which would appear to be an inevitability at this point, right?), then simulations will necessarily follow. From there, the likelihood that we're the "original" universe, rather than one of the literally infinite simulated ones, is infinitesimal.

Yes, and Trump getting elected clearly bucked the norm of what is expected within our social parameters. It's one of many things that was listed.

That, and the theory was around long before Trump was elected. That, and based on the tone of the article it was clear that the author's tongue was firmly planted in his cheek. That, and there is no way Clinton is a more flawed simulated human than Trump.

That's like people who don't understand statistics being amazed when a coincidence occurs. Like being in a room of 25 people and being amazed when you talk to someone that has the same birthday as you.

The Super Bowl result? Why was that so unlikely? Because it had never happened before? How did those earlier games impact this one? If you play enough Super Bowls there is bound to be a big comeback at some point.
The election results? Instead of saying the result 'bucked the norm of what is expected within our social parameters' maybe we should just admit we didn't really understand 'our social parameters' like we thought we did. Occam and all that...

It's a flawed article, but the point isn't a list of seemingly impossible things that have happened... It's a theory based on the idea that we agree that AI will eventually be developed (which would appear to be an inevitability at this point, right?), then simulations will necessarily follow. From there, the likelihood that we're the "original" universe, rather than one of the literally infinite simulated ones, is infinitesimal.

I understand the theory, I just thought the examples chosen to 'prove' it were not great.

Back