• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are you a better QB than Mitch Griffis?

Are you a better QB than Mitch Griffis?

• Yes

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • No

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • Who isn’t?

Votes: 19 29.7%

• Total voters
let's chill out on crapping on a 22-year old kid

he's trying his best, and i'm sure this season isn't easy on him either

let's also keep in mind he's a better and more accomplished athlete than anyone on these boards
I just don’t agree with this. Once you start being paid to play then you are basically a semi-pro athlete. Are we allowed to criticize 22-year old pros?

let's also keep in mind he's a better and more accomplished athlete than anyone on these boards
Mrs Griffis, we wish your son the best. But he sucks ass at the position he is paid to play and is an embarrassment to watch.

I just don’t agree with this. Once you start being paid to play then you are basically a semi-pro athlete. Are we allowed to criticize 22-year old pros?
They were getting a free education worth around $300K well before NIL. I doubt he's making that much in NIL, probably less than a public school teacher. But to your point, people feel its permissible behind a pseudonym to go on social media and throw insults at teachers who are fully professional educators (not semi) , so maybe you're right.

after this debacle, how could you trust Mitch Griffis with ball security in any inclement weather game?

They were getting a free education worth around $300K well before NIL. I doubt he's making that much in NIL, probably less than a public school teacher. But to your point, people feel its permissible behind a pseudonym to go on social media and throw insults at teachers who are fully professional educators (not semi) , so maybe you're right.
He’s getting about 30k from the wake fund according to board sources.

Nahhh if he’s “Money Mitch” and the fan base is expected to give to NIL now, he deserves to be criticized.

Oh I agree. I always considered that income too which is why it has always been fine to criticize the scholarship players.

I have small hands (no jokes please) and played HS QB and a ton of rec league games. I threw plenty of picks and fumbled a handful of times, but never had the ball just slip out of my hands with no defender around. Having that happen twice in one game on critical drives is just insane.
I don't think I've ever seen it happen once in a game let alone twice

Oh I agree. I always considered that income too which is why it has always been fine to criticize the scholarship players.
Yeah the idea that you can't criticize p5 players on scholarship playing on national TV and competing to play in the NFL because they were also students was always silly.

But now with NIL money it's even more silly

Yeah the idea that you can't criticize p5 players on scholarship playing on national TV and competing to play in the NFL because they were also students was always silly.

But now with NIL money it's even more silly
Imagine telling a fan of LSU, Bama, Georgia, etc that you shouldn’t criticize any players who mess up. We aren’t even close to big boy football on the field or in the fan base.

There's a difference between criticizing and being a dick

I'm just saying that some of you may want to reflect and chill out on the juvenile thrashing of a guy not set up to succeed by his coach at a school we all love

I'd tell the same to grown men on message boards crossing the line on college kids at their schools too

Look - I'm probably guilty of it too at some point, I'm sure

I'm just saying that some of you may want to reflect and chill out on the juvenile thrashing of a guy not set up to succeed by his coach at a school we all love
Can you talk more about why you don't think he has been setup to succeed by Clawson?

In my view, I would think he has been given tons of opportunity to prove his detractors wrong. He has been in the same system for 4 years. He has been getting first team reps since last January. He has NFL talent at WR and RB. He hasn't been asked to throw more than 20 times in the last couple games. He isn't getting pulled after every mistake. The Oline looked fine last night, they don't seem to hamper our running backs too much. Fumbling snaps under center, diving into defenders leading to a fumble, an inability to grip the ball in key moments, those aren't coaching issues.

It's a message board? We aren't picketing the Quad or DM'ing him on social media talking trash. Message boards are for airing grievances

Can you talk more about why you don't think he has been setup to succeed by Clawson?

In my view, I would think he has been given tons of opportunity to prove his detractors wrong. He has been in the same system for 4 years. He has been getting first team reps since last January. He has NFL talent at WR and RB. He hasn't been asked to throw more than 20 times in the last couple games. He isn't getting pulled after every mistake. The Oline looked fine last night, they don't seem to hamper our running backs too much. Fumbling snaps under center, diving into defenders leading to a fumble, an inability to grip the ball in key moments, those aren't coaching issues.
The game plan was been INCREDIBLY simplified for Griffis to succeed. It worked well some last night but he ultimately made costly mistakes, which isn't on the coaching staff (fumbles, picks). The Oline played well last night and he still was undecisive and decided to run too late/too early at times.

If Mitch was an average FBS starting QB, we'd be 8-1. If he was in the 10th-40th percentile of starting FBS QBs, we'd be at least 7-2. Instead, he's in the bottom 10th percentile, probably in the bottom 3rd percentile.

I don't think the coaching has been particularly good at all this year, but he's still been given so many chances to succeed, or at least be decent, and lead a top 25 team. He has failed miserably. I've personally moved past the anger phase and into the mostly sad phase, but also the comical phase with some of the mistakes he makes.

Back