• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ari Stewart ineligible to play for USC

What was the other team featured? I barely remember the good mor ing America piece now.

I mean, you weren't the one who accused me of having some kind of agenda.

To part 2, once again you're trying to push arguments to extremes. Big difference between "things were perfect under Dino" - which I didn't say and nobody has said - and the idea that [Redacted] took over a program in excellent health, which many people have said and simply isn't true.

Dino inflicted damage, [Redacted] has inflicted damage, Wellman has inflicted damage, and we've been unlucky as hell. I have zero interest in getting into another "Dino left [Redacted] a tournament team and stellar recruiting class and he ran it into the ground" argument, so I'll leave it at that.

DC, how many coaches get to take over a team that just went to the tournament with a Top 15 or so incoming class? That was a great situation compared to what most new coaches get.

Man, those videos are depressing. We used to be fun to watch. We used to be on ESPN. We used to have prominent announcers like Mark Jackson and Van Gundy calling our games. We used to be so many great things. Just sad how far we have fallen.

I checked out on Buzz the first time I heard him speak.

Not only that, but they were best friends.

Ari was a good kid, but he was not very bright and struggled academically. Bz's first year, Ari tried to change his game to the way Bz wanted to play, which was very different from his skillset and the role he was recruited to play. Ari did not have even decent handles for this level, but was a good spot shooter. Bz wanted a perimeter movement offense that Ari just couldnt play well. Also, he had trouble learning the new offensive plays. The first year under Bz, he accepted the challenge to hit the boards because we were so weak in that area. The first half of the season, he did a credible job of it. The problem was, before Bz ever met him, he decided that Ari was a selfish player because he did not have many assists. He rode Ari hard, and by mid-season, Ari had checked out on him.

Ha, what's my "agenda?" What is this, the politics nutjob board?

I have no agenda outside of rational discussion of Wake athletics. I drove down to Winston and watched Ari in one of his first games as a Deacon. He was rising up and hitting gorgeous 3 pointers, then drove the ball and threw one down with authority. I remember thinking he was going to be great, and watching him piss away such obvious talent over the next few years while disparaging and embarrassing Wake made me sick. Posters saying he and JTT were going to drop 50 on us or Ari would be like CJ and get a look at the D-league because he left Wake, that he'd "explode" or help USC make the tourney before us... I get that we'll do anything to shit on [Redacted], but supporting the kid while he talked shit about Wake and ditched the team while predicting he'd be successful? Sorry, but yeah, when he gets routine DNP's coaches decision under two coaches then can't make grades to even stay on the team - the posters who chose to support Ari and predict great things for him - whether it was to stick it to [Redacted] or just mock the shit-show the basketball program had become - can eat some crow now. That's it.

This McCarthyism-like need to pidgeonhole anyone who says something that could possibly be construed as pro-[Redacted] is really getting old. [Redacted] was a crap hire, but he isn't solely responsible for every bad turn that Wake has taken since Dino's final season. Ari failing elsewhere is proof of that - which I assume rattles the ultra anti-[Redacted] folks by merely pointing it out since the "wake was in great shape with highly ranked recruits like Ari, JTT, and Ty in the program when he arrived" is a calling card for many of them. But relax. It's not a pro-[Redacted] "agenda" or whatever you seem to think it is. [Redacted]'s record speaks for itself, and after he gets his promised 4th year if we're still terrible we can hopefully all rest easy.

The best way I can put it is that once [Redacted] is fired - if all fans take away from the past few years is that we made one bad coaching hire and that's the end-all be-all of the problem - then you've missed a lot of what really happened here. It's ok to admit that and at the same time want [Redacted] gone.

Dude, I'm still not convinced that the Gaudio-era was that different. I grew up in WS, fairly close to the program, and close with several of the homegrown athletes that have played for Wake in various sports (knowing the charges levied at the guys in the Dino-era), and it's ridiculous to assert that crazy stuff wasn't going down during Skip's, GDO's, Staak's, etc. tenures. See, you're so eager to throw around "rational deliberation," but I think it's a bit naive to assume that Wellman in collaboration with other coaches have covered for far greater issues than in Wellman's cultural revolution.

I don't "support" Ari, but I'm also a grown man and life goes on. It's just silly that just constantly invoke a guy who is unexceptional at best to prop up your "rational discussion." We'll see how things shake out, but I still want to see JT play under Enfield or Carson play under Cooley before I'm willing to throw our players under the bus for Buzz or Wellman.

I never accused you of a pro-[Redacted] agenda. There's also a spectrum of anti-[Redacted] folks and a few people on here really gave the guy a chance. I asked what your agenda is because you have an awful lot of disdain for an inconsequential 22-year-old college senior. It's just weird, man.

I don't like being pigeonholed as McCarthyism-like or that anyone who disagrees with you thinks things were perfect under Dino.

Or, that those who disagree with DCDeac are not engaged with a rational position, that ironically (really) only he himself holds at this point... The Dino Utopia is a total straw man.

Those videos make me miss Ish and CJ, but not Ari. He was a good spot-up shooter, but after that, he wasn't that impressive. I, too, thought he would be a great player for us, but his effectiveness on the court dropped off considerably when Ish graduated.

Again, you can't bame Bz 100% for Ari's problems. Ari wasn't a good fit in the Bz system, and he did the right thing by transferring, but Ari is responsible for his actions and the choices he makes in life. He has had two chances to play D1 college basketball and earn a college degree from two excellent universities without ever writing a tuition check, and he blew it. Ari showed his true colors when he decided to quit on his team before the season ended.

I don't feel sorry for him in the least. His two wasted chances are two more than 99% of the basketball players in America ever get.

Those videos make me miss Ish and CJ, but not Ari. He was a good spot-up shooter, but after that, he wasn't that impressive. I, too, thought he would be a great player for us, but his effectiveness on the court dropped off considerably when Ish graduated.

Again, you can't bame Bz 100% for Ari's problems. Ari wasn't a good fit in the Bz system, and he did the right thing by transferring, but Ari is responsible for his actions and the choices he makes in life. He has had two chances to play D1 college basketball and earn a college degree from two excellent universities without ever writing a tuition check, and he blew it. Ari showed his true colors when he decided to quit on his team before the season ended.

I don't feel sorry for him in the least. His two wasted chances are two more than 99% of the basketball players in America ever get.

I don't feel sorry for him, either. I also don't think you're giving Buzz enough "credit" for Ari's problems, but that's another thing.

Read the posts I was responding to on here. I just find it odd the lengths folks go through sometimes...

Actually the McCarthyism shit is dead on. I obviously find real value out of this board. But there is a certain level of group think on here that can quickly turn accusatory and mccarthyistic.

For example, one insider has reported that only green is a bzd love disciple and the others think he knows basketball but might not give him a kidney should he need it Chen one schlumb said high and hungover he ran into cmm at some food place and point blank asked him if he was on board with bzd and what about everyone else. Cmm was basically muted and non responsive. Not a ringing endorsement but not full on loathing either. In fact far from it. That hasn't stopped expert pop psychologists like you and about three dozen others to proclaim the teams collective loathing of bzd - which is not exactly true.

For me that undercuts a lot of your great opinions and information. I have to view it through a prism of "I will not get a good night's sleep til this man is gone' which is unfortunate. You are only as strong ad your weakest position unfortunately.

I don't feel sorry for him, either. I also don't think you're giving Buzz enough "credit" for Ari's problems, but that's another thing.

Read the posts I was responding to on here. I just find it odd the lengths folks go through sometimes...

Oh, I think Bz played a part in Ari's problems, because Bz was a total asshead to Ari. I also think Ari probably would have flourished if had been able to play for Dino for four years.

I just can't give all the credit to Bz for Ari's problems. At some point, Ari has to be held accountable for something. If he had gone to USC and had a decent to great career, I would credit Bz a whole lot more for what happened at WFU.

Just to be clear, I am not basing this on the Bz and WFU statements to the media. Ari seriously did not take care of things on and off the court like he should have, and the Bz situation didn't help his attitude, but Ari made his on bed.

Jeebus, if you're only as strong as your weakest position, where does that leave Jaybone?

Oh, I think Bz played a part in Ari's problems, because Bz was a total asshead to Ari. I also think Ari probably would have flourished if had been able to play for Dino for four years. ....

So Ron Wellman literally destroyed Ari's career by hiring Buzz. Actually, that does not surprise me. Ron has destroyed the careers of several Wake basketball players with this crony hire.

Poor CJ. Poorer Travis.

It's hard to feel sorry for Travis.

I don't know about that. The dude was a pretty legit recruit that LOVED Wake Forest coming in and was supposed to be part of one of the nation's best recruiting class at a legit ACC contender. Then we stick him with [Redacted], drastically changing the premise on which he committed and he STILL played hard and loved Wake through what seemed like his sophomore year before he finally started to wear down from the grind of being awful.

His only real mistake was not transferring imo.

I can almost guarantee that [Redacted] will have the same impact on Devin by the end of this year.

Meh to Travis. If he actually gave a shit he'd have learn to play the 4 by now. Instead its all about him playing the 3 and making the league. He's no fucking CJ.

Wake fans should be more upset with the way administration handled the Dino situation - and its resulting chaos - than they should be with former players.

I don't feel sorry for Travis, either.

The only player I really have ever felt bad for was CJ. The guy was the student-athlete coaches want on their team, he was a good player, a leader, and he left nothing on the floor. All of his hard work for Wake Forest basketball certainly made him a fan favorite, but it did very little else in terms of team achievements.

Thank-you, Ron Wellman.

Meh to Travis. If he actually gave a shit he'd have learn to play the 4 by now. Instead its all about him playing the 3 and making the league. He's no fucking CJ.

he DID give a shit much longer than any of us did

Back