• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Asking Her Dad's Permission

WFUWaldo

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Doing this tomorrow and am honestly much more nervous about this than popping the question. Give me some good stories (or horror stories) to calm me down.

Congrats! And good luck, I guess. I don't have any stories for you because I told HTTD not to do that. One of the many examples of why not: my dad asked me at some point before we were engaged if we were already.

Her dad died when she was in college. I took her mom and step dad out to dinner, and showed them the ring and said I intended to ask her. It wasnt as much of an asking for permission, but rather a statement of fact. They were really cool about it all, and had wondered why I didnt pop the question before then. As long as you're chill with her parentals, there's nothing to worry or get nervous about.

Doing this tomorrow and am honestly much more nervous about this than popping the question. Give me some good stories (or horror stories) to calm me down.

:rulz: there goes the surprise, now I know!

Congrats! And good luck, I guess. I don't have any stories for you because I told HTTD not to do that. One of the many examples of why not: my dad asked me at some point before we were engaged if we were already.

maybe your dad asked you that because he was hopeful that he would actually ask your dad first...

as for me, i asked my father-in-law at lunch during a workday and he was insistent that we commemorate the moment with beers. my boss didnt seem to care too much when i got back to work.

are you putting the ring in the middle of a snowball and mailing it to her?

It was actually much easier than I expected. He knew what I was going to ask so when we met up he just said to go ahead and ask, and as soon as I did he said of course you have my permission.

maybe your dad asked you that because he was hopeful that he would actually ask your dad first...

as for me, i asked my father-in-law at lunch during a workday and he was insistent that we commemorate the moment with beers. my boss didnt seem to care too much when i got back to work.

Haha nope, not even in the least.

I sat my IL's down and went into this sweet speech about how I'd always be there for their daughter. Eventually my FIL said something like are you saying what I think you are. I said, " yes I'd like permission to marry your daughter. "

He jumped back and said, "aw shit, of course you can marry her. I thought you were about to tell me she was pregnant."

star-wars-wedding-its-a-trap.jpg

It was actually much easier than I expected. He knew what I was going to ask so when we met up he just said to go ahead and ask, and as soon as I did he said of course you have my permission.

yeah, super-easy for me.

I asked my FIL to be when he was up at our house to watch the dog pack while we were going out of town to a rental cabin. I was planning on proposing that weekend on the trip so I had waited as long as possible to talk to the FIL about it. (He has a notoriously big mouth.) I figured if I talked to him just before we went up into the mountains he couldn't screw it up. He wouldn't have time.

He gave me his permission, with the caveat "You do know she can be a handful, right?" I was back to working when RDToy got home from work about 30 minutes after my conversation with her father. She walked into the room and he said to her, "Hey, how was your day? RD asked for your hand in marriage..."

I just looked up from my keyboard and the went right back to work. RDToy said, "Dad, I don't think you were supposed to tell me that."

I did use it to my advantage though, as I popped the question the next morning up in the mountains and I think she was in no way expecting me to do it RIGHT after her dad spilled the beans.

It all worked out, but Geez...

lol, RD that's terrible. 'shes a handful'... i wonder where she got that from!

If he likes you, it'll be really easy. I just asked my father-in-law while we were driving, and he said he couldn't be happier. It was nice.

We were visiting her folks back in Feb and on Friday night I asked if I could take them (mom and dad) out for breakfast on Saturday before my better half woke up. They said OK and once we got to the restaurant he said "Well.. it's your breakfast" with a big grin on his face since he knew what was coming. It was easy..

I was nervous as hell even though I'd known my in laws since high school. I took them out to dinner and asked them if they approved of my asking their daughter to marry me. It was something I will never forget, nor will you. Again, all the best!

Back