• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Asking Her Dad's Permission

When I asked my future FIL, he responded, "Well, I don't think she can do any better." I am still not sure that was a compliment.

When my brother-in-law talked to my Dad about marrying my sister, the BIL came to the house wearing a bullet proof vest. My Dad had planned to give him a hard time but was laughing too hard to act mad!
That's great!

When I asked my future FIL, he responded, "Well, I don't think she can do any better." I am still not sure that was a compliment.

When my brother-in-law talked to my Dad about marrying my sister, the BIL came to the house wearing a bullet proof vest. My Dad had planned to give him a hard time but was laughing too hard to act mad!

I love this.

I would seriously be upset if my boyfriend "told my dad of his intentions" rather than asked him permission. Dude raised me, loves me, protects me, I'm his only daughter..it'd be really lame for someone to tell my dad what he is going to do.

I would seriously be upset if my boyfriend "told my dad of his intentions" rather than asked him permission. Dude raised me, loves me, protects me, I'm his only daughter..it'd be really lame for someone to tell my dad what he is going to do.

what if your dad wouldn't give permission to the man you love? then what? break-up?

hmm, i disagree with this. you're your own woman now, and i think the man-to-man telling of intentions shows more balls than asking permission, especially if you'd get married anyway if he said no (or would you?). obviously there's respect in asking permission, but there's also respect in bringing it up w/ dad ahead of time at all.

*ETA: to each their own. i'm just saying personally, i wouldn't be upset about not asking PERMISSION.

Last edited:

You get upset way too easily

I agree to an extent. I mean, initially, the talk should be about your intentions of asking for his daughter's hand. It is kinda implied that you are seeking approval (blessing is kinda secular). If a guy comes in and says he is marrying the man's daughter regardless, why even bother showing up for the talk. Symantics I guess, but still.

I called her dad, told her I planned on asking her, and asked if I had his blessing. She's a grown ass woman, not his possession. If we were 20 I might have done it differently

You sounds like quite the catch.

I agree to an extent. I mean, initially, the talk should be about your intentions of asking for his daughter's hand. It is kinda implied that you are seeking approval (blessing is kinda secular). If a guy comes in and says he is marrying the man's daughter regardless, why even bother showing up for the talk. Symantics I guess, but still.

What?

I generally think that somebody should be asked/told. However, if her parents are deceased or doesn't have brothers or anything like that, who do you ask?

my mom's dad died when she was 18, so my dad asked both her mother and her oldest sister's husband (who walked her down the aisle when my parents got married). kind of a random family member, but since he was significantly older than my mom (this sister was 19 when my mom was born), he kind of took on a patriarch role in the family.

By going to speak to dad/mom, you are seeking approval. Otherwise, why bother. You may indend to do what you want regardless of the parent response, but you are seeking approval. I say approval rather than blessing for those who are not down with religion. That is to say, some would not want a "blessing" regardless (in the religious sense, thus seeking "approval"). Hope that answers the What?

my mom's dad died when she was 18, so my dad asked both her mother and her oldest sister's husband (who walked her down the aisle when my parents got married). kind of a random family member, but since he was significantly older than my mom (this sister was 19 when my mom was born), he kind of took on a patriarch role in the family.

Yeah. Or if somebody was raised by grandparents or family members, I think you would ask that person.

Back