• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

At least 25 wounded in New York City blast

beatrix is a perfect example of the extremism of the gun folks. Virtually no one (especially not Hillary Clinton) is talking about any outright ban of guns.

neither was beatrix

then I stand corrected.

mulderokay.gif

Well we won't be categorically safe, but we will be safer. There is no doubt in my mind that at least some people who would have carried out a sexual assault of a minor child won't be able to do it if they don't have access to a public bathroom. Is this really that bold of a proposition?

I'm not arguing with you, but it's important for you to know how this sounds.

Yeah except that I don't buy your premise at all. There is nothing inherently dangerous in letting predators in bathrooms, as opposed to other public places, and the way HB2 is now, people who look exactly like a stereotypical man are mandated to use women's rooms if they have a vagina, so unless we're going to make people pull down their pants before they walk in, I'm not sure how you can tell whether someone who looks like a man in a bathroom should or should not be there under HB2.

But I'm excited to hear how you think we can

This election comes down to two very different visions of America. On the one hand you have the Hillary voters who are living in la la land and want to pretend Islamic terrorism is not really a problem and the American people aren't being harmed by our immigration policies. Frankly, these people are divorced from reality and represent a danger to the future of the nation. On the other hand you have the sensible Trump voters who realize that Trump, while far from perfect, is the candidate who genuinely loves America. Most Americans are sensible people, which is why I'm convinced goodness will prevail. MAGA

This post sums up this election.

I would imagine most Americans, myself included, feel like radical islamic terrorism is a really big problem. And as a long-term global threat it is problem our leaders should be working to solve. But only some Americans seem capable of willing to reconcile that feeling with the fact that radical Islamic terrorism presents very little immediate threat to the average American.

Some Americans feel like the American People (as a whole) are being hurt by immigration. And certainly on the micro level some Americans are economically hurt by immigration. But only some Americans accept the fact that on a macro level immigration is at worst a wash economically and perhaps a benefit.

If la la land is one where knowable, proveable facts are accepted as true and used to inform one's opinions then I'm happy to be in it.

The scariest thing about Trump and his supporters is that they seem to have completely abandoned rational debate.

It's one thing when a republican and a democrat look at the same set of facts and come to different conclusions about what those facts mean and what we should do about them. That makes for healthy political debate.

It's quite another when a republican looks at a set of facts, decides he doesn't like them, and then makes up his own set of "feelings" (if he even looked at the set of facts in the first place). That's a dangerous road to go down.

This post sums up this election.

I would imagine most Americans, myself included, feel like radical islamic terrorism is a really big problem. And as a long-term global threat it is problem our leaders should be working to solve. But only some Americans seem capable of willing to reconcile that feeling with the fact that radical Islamic terrorism presents very little immediate threat to the average American.

Some Americans feel like the American People (as a whole) are being hurt by immigration. And certainly on the micro level some Americans are economically hurt by immigration. But only some Americans accept the fact that on a macro level immigration is at worst a wash economically and perhaps a benefit.

If la la land is one where knowable, proveable facts are accepted as true and used to inform one's opinions then I'm happy to be in it.

America First Nationalism and Populism (Trump and his supporters) vs. NAFTA loving Globalists (Hillary and her supporters)

The scariest thing about Trump and his supporters is that they seem to have completely abandoned rational debate.

It's one thing when a republican and a democrat look at the same set of facts and come to different conclusions about what those facts mean and what we should do about them. That makes for healthy political debate.

It's quite another when a republican looks at a set of facts, decides he doesn't like them, and then makes up his own set of "feelings" (if he even looked at the set of facts in the first place). That's a dangerous road to go down.

I feel this way about you people who feel immigration in recent decades has represented a net positive for native born Americans. Both sides can point to research to support their position, not surprising given most economists are globalists, but inevitably you folks are far more likely to massage the facts.

I feel this way about you people who feel immigration in recent decades has represented a net positive for native born Americans. Both sides can point to research to support their position, not surprising given most economists are globalists, but inevitably you folks are far more likely to massage the facts.

I'll give you that the data on whether Immigration has been a net economic benefit is less clear cut than the Islamic terrorism example. And I have no problem with people using data to argue against immigration vs. what Trump is doing right now.

I will say that you dismissing data that suggests immigration has been a net positive as necessarily biased because "most economists are globalists" kind of proves my point.

inevitably you folks are far more likely to massage the facts.

This used to be claimed by people on both sides. When you interpret facts you always think your conclusion is the natural one while the other side is massaging facts to reach their conclusion.

It's better to massage the facts than to ignore them altogether.

That's a good point. You are right, some people (overwhelmingly men who dress and look like men) who would have carried out a sexual assault on a minor female child won't be able to do so if we ban men who dress and look like men from female bathrooms.

We should immediately repeal any laws which make it easier for men who look and dress like men to enter female bathrooms.

If you are a white person who's family after a 250 year head start in the greatest country in the world, is still going to lose a job to a mexican who has been here for a day, then fuck you, you had your chance, get out of the way, you are a waste of space.

You need only look at China's aging population and labor supply shortage to know how important immigration is to growing and sustaining a nation's economy. No idea if the IMF is a liberal rag to BSF4L (probably, since they use terms like "empirical analysis"), but here's a good report - https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2015/wp15151.pdf

Questions about migrant labor participation vs native labor participation are what we need to pay attention to.

If you are a white person who's family after a 250 year head start in the greatest country in the world, is still going to lose a job to a mexican who has been here for a day, then fuck you, you had your chance, get out of the way, you are a waste of space.

lol yes

And suddenly America is a land of opportunity where you're expected to try your best and provide for yourself and your family. Well, apparently only if you're white.

You boys on the left ever think of sharing that expectation with people who don't look like you?

And suddenly America is a land of opportunity where you're expected to try your best and provide for yourself and your family. Well, apparently only if you're white.

You boys on the left ever think of sharing that expectation with people who don't look like you?

you've conveniently glossed over 250 year head start if you're making the insinuation i'm pretty sure you're making

Back