• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Atlanta Dining

Hit up Sobban again last night. KFC Wangs were excellent as usual, but the entrees always leave something to be desired. Service kinda spotty as usual. This place stays packed though.

Brick Store is wildly overrated esp for its location where you can get much better food just steps away in Decatur.

BTW...I'm prepared to make a statement on Atlanta BBQ. Fatt Matt's then everyone else. Fox Bros has the cool tot apps that are delicious, DBA has great pulled pork and Community Q has some nice features but is there a better plate than the "Combo" at FM's? 1/4 slab of their delicious ribs and 1/4 dark/white meat bbq chicken? Plus two slices of white bread, a thing of optional sauce (which I personally love) and their bauce sides including legendary rum baked beans. Throw in a good beer selection and great sweet/unsweet tea. Also the only place in town that serves legit "Real" Brunswick stew and not some yankee version.

Next time someone asks what is Georgia BBQ, tell them its Fatt Matt's.

Brick Store is wildly overrated esp for its location where you can get much better food just steps away in Decatur.

BTW...I'm prepared to make a statement on Atlanta BBQ. Fatt Matt's then everyone else. Fox Bros has the cool tot apps that are delicious, DBA has great pulled pork and Community Q has some nice features but is there a better plate than the "Combo" at FM's? 1/4 slab of their delicious ribs and 1/4 dark/white meat bbq chicken? Plus two slices of white bread, a thing of optional sauce (which I personally love) and their bauce sides including legendary rum baked beans. Throw in a good beer selection and great sweet/unsweet tea. Also the only place in town that serves legit "Real" Brunswick stew and not some yankee version.

Lol wut?

Fatt Matt's is not Barbecue. Nothing they serve there has been barbecued.

Fox Bros is probably the best overall resto..they have solid, consistent pork, brisket and chicken (great wingy too) and they have a bunch of redneck gutbomb menu items that can be fun to throw in the mix, plus a full booze menu. The negatives are that their bar sucks, and it's not place fit to watch sports.

I hit up DBA quite a bit. The cue is a step below Fox's but they have the best bar and booze of any ATL cue joint. Great place to watch a game as well.

Community is solid but not spectacular, and no booze is a deal killer.

Dave Poe's might have the best pork in town, but in Mayretta and also no booze so unless I'm at the Cobb courthouse around lunch, I'm not going there either.

Last edited:
OK, so we just got back last night from the ATL & watching my Phillies sweep the Braves - not hating - I was there last year when Chipper went yard in the bottom of the 9th against my boys, and I loved the energy and noise in the place. Cannot believe that the Bravos will be leaving downtown in a few years....

Anyway, thanks for the recs. I have to admit that I thought that going to 6 Feet Under & a graveyard (Oakland Cemetery) would have any appeal to a 10 year old, but I was SO wrong. He loved both! Of course, we watched Brazil and Mexico in the World Cup at the Puberia, and the toured the cemetery between rain showers. Food was good, but definitely a fish place. great ambience and everyone enjoyed their meal. However, the highlight was the cemetery... My son, really got into the confederate graveyard section and looking at all the states the soldiers and slaves were from, as well as, the statue of the lion of that watches over the soldiers. We saw Bobby Jones gravesite (a must for golfers), Margret Mitchell's, etc.

I NEVER would have gone there w/out the recommendations from the board and am so appreciative! One can only do the World of Coke so many times... : )

P.S. We also went to Noah's Ark where they have the only BLT (bear, lion and tiger) that live together. The "Zoo" is about 40 minutes south of Atlanta and free (they accept donations.) My kids LOVED it! They felt like it was like the movie "We Bought a Zoo." The place is only open from 12 - 3 but kids will never forget the experience and the fact that their donations will sustain the zoo's existence.

P.S.2: We stayed at the Marriott Concourse Renaissance in ATL and the boys loved watching the all the planes coming in and out of Atlanta. I felt like I was on the tarmac... A great hotel that really went out of there way to ensure a good stay!

Also not hating, but Chipper retired in 2012.

Fox Bros is probably the best overall resto..they have solid, consistent pork, brisket and chicken (great wingy too) and they have a bunch of redneck gutbomb menu items that can be fun to throw in the mix, plus a full booze menu. The negatives are that their bar sucks, and it's not place fit to watch sports.

I hit up DBA quite a bit. The cue is a step below Fox's but they have the best bar and booze of any ATL cue joint. Great place to watch a game as well.

Dave Poe's might have the best pork in town, but in Mayretta and also no booze so unless I'm at the Cobb courthouse around lunch, I'm not going there either.

Sam Huff and Dave Poe have some great BBQ. I've always been a fan of BBQ-1 in East Cobb (right by my grandmother's house), but haven't been over to BBQ-2...been wanting to since Poe took over a few years ago.

Last edited:
Sam Huff and Dave Poe have some great BBQ. I've always been a fan of BBQ-1 in East Cobb (right by my grandmother's house), but haven't been over to BBQ-2...been wanting to since Poe took over a few years ago.

I've never liked their places. Some of the stuff is good but meh.

I would put DBA's pork above Fox Bros. Fox has better Brisket but we ain't in Texas so that doesn't qualify as BBQ.

Fox/Community Q have good ribs I just prefer the ribs at Matt's. I also love their BBQ chicken.

I was underwhelmed by the DBA smoked fried chicken.

The Meat Sampler at DBA is quite a feast, I forgot about their pastrami.

and ho-lee-fuk,

I went to General Muir on a whim for breakfast. Wasn't impressed my first time (went in late 2013, thought their Matzo ball soup sucked and everything was overpriced for normal brunch stuff), so I knew I needed to give them another shot. A bagel w/ their caper cream cheese and a side of pastrami, my GOODNESS. So good. Terrible for me, but so so good. its on my list to hit up for dinner some time soon.

DBA is right by my crib, so I hit it up probably 2-3 times a month, even though I probably like Fox better overall. Their problem is consistency. Their pork is great most of the time, but I have had really dry pork and ribs on multiple occasions. Not inedible, but something that has been sitting under a heat lamp all day.

Muir is pretty great most of the time. Love their bagel variations for bfast, and Todd's burger he brought from Bocado is of course excellent.

Speaking of, Bocado is still really solid as well. They have a bunch of really good summer veggie small plates going on right now.

I forget that we are neighbors.

Fixing to move closer to Ansley than we are right now in Midtown. Be there in the Fall.

DBA is right by my crib, so I hit it up probably 2-3 times a month, even though I probably like Fox better overall. Their problem is consistency. Their pork is great most of the time, but I have had really dry pork and ribs on multiple occasions. Not inedible, but something that has been sitting under a heat lamp all day.

Muir is pretty great most of the time. Love their bagel variations for bfast, and Todd's burger he brought from Bocado is of course excellent.

Speaking of, Bocado is still really solid as well. They have a bunch of really good summer veggie small plates going on right now.

Almost went to DBA tonight. Was down in that area but ended up going to El Taco instead. The last time I went to DBA was probably 2010ish (went a few times back then when my brother lived in VH), and I thought it was very average BBQ...a lot of that had to do with what you mention above - seemed as though things had been sitting under a heat lamp. Given the love on here I'll probably give it a try at some point, but I had written it off as nothing special.

Last edited:
Moonz really knows his stuff when it comes to Atlanta dining. I'm going to let him pick the restaurant when I take my wife on our next date night to see The Hundred-Foot Journey.

what the heck is 100 foot journey?

"Hassan Kadam is a culinary ingénue with the gastronomic equivalent of perfect pitch. When Hassan and his family, led by Papa, move to a quaint village in the South of France with the grand plan of opening an Indian restaurant in the picturesque countryside, they are undeterred by the fact that only 100 feet opposite stands a Michelin starred classical French eatery. However upon encountering the icy proprietress, Madame Mallory, the Kadam family realise they may have bitten off more than they can chew. Outraged by the new arrivals, Madame Mallory is determined to have their business shut down. As cultures clash and food flies, an all-out war escalates between the two establishments -- until, that is, Hassan's passion and talent for French cuisine begin to enchant Madame Mallory and even she can't deny this young chef could have what it takes to garner even more acclaim for her beloved restaurant. This, along with his new-found friendship with her beautiful sous chef Marguerite, starts to weave a magic between the two cultures and, despite their different tastes, they discover an unlikely recipe for success that surprises them all."

Back