• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Atlantic Division race, updated 11/7

Only way resume comes into play if we’re trying to get an at-large NY6- which given our fanbase size and history- is extremely unlikely unless we lost to a team in ACC CG that was making playoff - that ain’t gonna be Pitt even if they win out from here.

If we're 12-1, with the only loss being to Pitt in the ACC Championship game, we sure as hell better make a NY6.

If Wake goes 13-0 our resume will absolutely come into play if UC is also 13-0 and OU is 13-0, and UGA, Alabama, t-OSU, and Oregon are all 12-1.

yeah, unlikely by certainly plausible. there’s even an outside chance of us being in the discussion at 12-1 if enough breaks in our favor (although unc, uva and pitt all losing last week was a blow to that already tiny possibility)

If Wake goes 13-0 our resume will absolutely come into play if UC is also 13-0 and OU is 13-0, and UGA, Alabama, t-OSU, and Oregon are all 12-1.

Cinci struggled the last two weeks with 1 win Navy and 1 win Tulane. If we go undefeated they absolutely will not go ahead of us. There only chance of any more ranked games just lost in SMU as well.

Cinci struggled the last two weeks with 1 win Navy and 1 win Tulane. If we go undefeated they absolutely will not go ahead of us. There only chance of any more ranked games just lost in SMU as well.
SMU didn't drop out

Atlantic Division race, updated 10/31

SMU didn't drop out

And Houston got in. Cincy could get two ranked wins if they beat SMU and Houston win out to make the AAC Championship Game.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but only the CFP rankings matter after tomorrow, right? So SMU and Houston could be unranked by the committee, killing Cincy’s SOS?

Basically yes. SOS as a statistic shouldn't be based on the rankings, but if SMU and Houston are in the CFP then they will think more of Cincy for beating them. We want SMU and Houston to get left out and for State, Pitt, and UVa to be in.

Given that scenario...Oklahoma and Wake Forest are in as undefeated P5 champions. Georgia, Alabama, tOSU and Oregon fight for the other two berths. Cincinnati is SOL.

Wake will not be the first P5 team to go undefeated and miss the CFP. Our playoff has already started. Single elimination from here on out.

In that case I think we pass Oregon and Cincinnati, but no way we crack the top 4. UGA, Alabama and OU are ahead of us. Ohio State will have beaten Michigan and Michigan State and is in ahead of us and we're left out as #5. UGA 12-1 (only loss to Bama), Bama (they're already ahead of us and would have beaten Auburn and UGA, whereas we beat no one ranked) , OU (Similarly they'd have beaten 3 more ranked teams if undefeated). What's our argument other than being in the power 5? We need OU to lose to have an argument against Cincy and Oregon which I think we would, but certainly not guaranteed. I'd feel good if we also had UGA beat Bama or some round robin losses in the Big 10.

Last edited:
Given that scenario...Oklahoma and Wake Forest are in as undefeated P5 champions. Georgia, Alabama, tOSU and Oregon fight for the other two berths. Cincinnati is SOL.

If you don't think our resume will be debated you're nuts.

If we're 12-1, with the only loss being to Pitt in the ACC Championship game, we sure as hell better make a NY6.

The committee will help rank the teams in that final poll based on who they want to see in the NY6 games, some funny shifting around always takes place in that final poll. If Wake loses the ACCCG, the winner will almost certainly go to the Peach Bowl, which means Wake's only NY6 shot would be the Fiesta Bowl.....you think the Fiesta Bowl would rather have 12-1 Wake or 10-2 Michigan/11-1 Notre Dame? It would be unjust, but it happened to UNC back in 2015 (lose the ACCCG, get jumped in the final rankings by FSU who had an identical record - they play the Peach Bowl vs. Houston, UNC goes to the Russell Athletic Bowl to play Baylor).

The fact that the Orange Bowl is a semi-final this year actually hurts the chances for ACC at-large teams to make a NY6 bowl.

In that case I think we pass Oregon and Cincinnati, but no way we crack the top 4. UGA, Alabama and OU are ahead of us. Ohio State will have beaten Michigan and Michigan State and is in ahead of us and we're left out as #5. UGA 12-1 (only loss to Bama), Bama (they're already ahead of us and would have beaten Auburn and UGA, whereas we beat no one ranked) , OU (Similarly they'd have beaten 3 more ranked teams if undefeated). What's our argument other than being in the power 5? We need OU to lose to have an argument against Cincy and Oregon which I think we would, but certainly not guaranteed. I'd feel good if we also had UGA beat Bama or some round robin losses in the Big 10.

OU is going to lose at least once, maybe twice. They have their 4 toughest games ahead.

Of course, if everyone ahead of WF runs the table (UGA loses only to Bama), unbeaten WF is not getting in the CFP. History tells us that never happens. FWIW, think that the Big 10, Pac 12 and Big 12 champs will all have 2 or more losses.

I feel very good about WF to the CFP at 13-0

I feel very bad about WF to the NY6 at 12-1 and not the ACC champ

I feel very good about WF to the CFP at 13-0

I feel very bad about WF to the NY6 at 12-1 and not the ACC champ

Yep. The major bowls will only take Wake when they are forced to do so. If we don't win the ACC Championship, the best we are looking at is the Cheez-It Bowl.

I remember back in 06 all the grousing from the Gator Bowl about potentially having to take us. I might be misremembering, but the ACC CG loser couldn't fall past them at the time?

I remember back in 06 all the grousing from the Gator Bowl about potentially having to take us. I might be misremembering, but the ACC CG loser couldn't fall past them at the time?

Gator bowl campaigned HARD with the ACC to include our assumed loss in the ACCCG as a regular season game, which would have given them wiggle room to select someone else. Instead (surprise!) they were forced to take GT and the Gator Bowl was poorly attended

Hence the move the CLT. That, and the fact that the dreamed of annual UM-FSU Florida showcase has not happened

Yep. That is what happened. They whined like a bunch of babies over the idea of having to pick us. And around that same time, the Peach Bowl director said something to the effect that they would NEVER choose Wake Forest.

Back