• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Atlantic Division race, updated 11/7

Every year people on this board freak out about getting bad bowl games. When was the last time a Wake team who didn't sneak into a bowl got shipped to a "bad" bowl location? If anything, it seems like we punch above our weight class in bowl selection. However, of course that could all go out the window in the world of NY6 at large bids.

If we don't make the CFO Orange Bowl, we want the Peach at 12-1. Fiesta Bowl is not a good fit for us. After that, we deserve a Florida bowl game.

So . . . pack your bags for the Sun Bowl.

No help yesterday. There are 3 paths for WF to win the Atlantic:

1. Beat NC State AND one of (Clemson, BC) - would be the only 7-1 team in the Atlantic

2. Lose to NC State, beat Clemson AND BC AND NC State loses once between (Syracuse, UNC) - WF would be the only 7-1 team in the Atlantic

3. Lose to NC State, beat Clemson, lose to BC AND NC State loses to BOTH Syracuse AND UNC - WF would be the only 6-2 team in the Atlantic

Obviously the clearest path is #1. Huge game next Saturday.

1. Beat NC State AND one of (Clemson, BC) - would be the only 7-1 team in the Atlantic

2. Lose to NC State, beat Clemson AND BC AND NC State loses once between (Syracuse, UNC) - WF would be the only 7-1 team in the Atlantic

3. Lose to NC State, beat Clemson, lose to BC AND NC State loses to BOTH Syracuse AND UNC - WF would be the only 6-2 team in the Atlantic

Path #4. Beat NCState, Clemson and Boston College. Finish 8-0 in ACC.

Yesterday was a non-conference game.

Yesterday hurt so bad because it was UNC, had we lost a non-con game against Kentucky for instance it still would've sucked, but not as bad. Yes it takes us out of CFP talk, but that was not a realistic goal anyway. Record wise we are still in great shape, the problem is can we beat anybody left with this defense?

Yesterday hurt so bad because it was UNC, had we lost a non-con game against Kentucky for instance it still would've sucked, but not as bad. Yes it takes us out of CFP talk, but that was not a realistic goal anyway. Record wise we are still in great shape, the problem is can we beat anybody left with this defense?

I'm very confident Clawson is going on about 2 hours of sleep today and will be doing one of two things this week: (1) Fire his inept DC; (2) Be up the DC's ass 7x24 for the next five days.

He's proven he's not afraid to pull the trigger. I totally trust that Dave will work on things. He's too competitive and shown to be a winner.

I'm very confident Clawson is going on about 2 hours of sleep today and will be doing one of two things this week: (1) Fire his inept DC; (2) Be up the DC's ass 7x24 for the next five days.

He's proven he's not afraid to pull the trigger. I totally trust that Dave will work on things. He's too competitive and shown to be a winner.

He’s not firing anyone with 3 regular season games left.

But he should've been all over this a year ago. We literally just experienced a carbon copy loss to an arch rival with even more on the line this go-round. Some of this could've been done before now.

But he should've been all over this a year ago. We literally just experienced a carbon copy loss to an arch rival with even more on the line this go-round. Some of this could've been done before now.

No disagreement from me. It's been an issue for 3+ years now and appears to be getting worse.

State is playing well, and we are not. State pummels us and puts up 50.

State is playing well, and we are not. State pummels us and puts up 50.

State also lost a heartbreaker to Miami on road and responded with a great game against LVille. Not saying they’re not playing well but they’re not invincible either. How we start in first 5 minutes of the State game will show if we’re hungover from this week or not.

Screw all of the national rankings talk, our main objective is the ACC Championship. I care more about bragging rights in North Carolina than I do in the state of Washington, etc. Win and the national stuff will take care of itself.

The State game is THE SEASON. Beat the Wolfies and all we have to do to make it to Charlotte is beat Clemson or BC.

I have a feeling Clawson was in the office early and I also have a feeling he met with a few employees. Just a hunch.

What is the tiebreak scenario if we beat State (and then they win their remaining two against Cuse and UNC) but lose to Clemson and BC? We'd be in a three-way tie with Clemson and State at 6-2 in the ACC, with head-to-head win over State and head-to-head loss against Clemson...each team would have a 1-1 record in head-to-heads against the other two. Where does it go from there?

What is the tiebreak scenario if we beat State (and then they win their remaining two against Cuse and UNC) but lose to Clemson and BC? We'd be in a three-way tie with Clemson and State at 6-2 in the ACC, with head-to-head win over State and head-to-head loss against Clemson...each team would have a 1-1 record in head-to-heads against the other two. Where does it go from there?

record within the Atlantic Division, which in that scenario would be:

NCSU 5-1
Clem 5-1
WFU 4-2

Then NCSU and Clemson revert to a 2-team tiebreak which gives the division to NCSU

Pretty clear from here. Is it right that if L’ville didn’t step on its dick with a first goal from the 2 we’d already be division champs?

Yep. We’d be up 3 games on Clemson and 2 plus a tiebreaker on State with two games to go.

Correct. If my math is correct, it's pretty simple from here. If we beat (at least) one of Clemson or BC, we're in. If we lose both, we're out, either because Clemson will beat us head-to-head with both teams at 6-2 (because NCSU lost to UNC and/or Syracuse), or because both of our losses will have been within the division, knocking us out of a 3-way tiebreak with NCSU and Clemson. NCSU then beats out Clemson based on the head-to-head.

Just win, baby

Correct. If my math is correct, it's pretty simple from here. If we beat (at least) one of Clemson or BC, we're in. If we lose both, we're out, either because Clemson will beat us head-to-head with both teams at 6-2 (because NCSU lost to UNC and/or Syracuse), or because both of our losses will have been within the division, knocking us out of a 3-way tiebreak with NCSU and Clemson. NCSU then beats out Clemson based on the head-to-head.

Just win, baby

This is correct, and also correct re: Louisville losing to Clemson preventing us from celebrating already

UVA @ Pitt huge next weekend in Coastal

Back