• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Electric Vehicles

I just looked at the EA charging station map. They are wayyyy behind Tesla. Whatever people want to say about the actual cars, refueling a car is a big component of owning one. And Tesla knew that early on and invested in its own network, which just makes the experience so much better.
Sure, but unlike a gas car you can refuel an EV easily at home.

Non-Teslas can use Tesla superchargers now, right? There's zero chance I'm buying a Tesla, and I think it will be very rare for me to take an EV on a long road trip. Currently looking at the Cadillac Lyriq, Electrified Genesis GV70, and the Audi Q4 Etron. Probably at least a year out from getting my hands on any of them though. There are a lot of ID.4's where I live for some reason, and they seem pretty nice -- the Audi is just a luxury-ized version of the ID.4.

However, there are seven gas stations within within two miles of my house.
I was responding to the phrase "refueling a car is a big component of owning one"

My point is that "refueling" an EV can be done at home for the vast majority of an average person's daily driving miles.

I was responding to the phrase "refueling a car is a big component of owning one"

My point is that "refueling" an EV can be done at home for the vast majority of an average person's daily driving miles.
Yes, of course it can, and that is a huge advantage of owning an EV. I own one, I charge it daily. It's great. And going to a gas station feels dirty and like something from yesteryear.

But ultimately, you will likely drive a car to places where you can't charge at home. For example, let's say you need to make a roundtrip trip to a city 2 hours away in a day. You may need to charge a little on the way back. Having a robust fast charging network is key to that ownership aspect.

I mean I'm not going to argue that Tesla does not have a much better and more reliable charging network than anyone else.

But I have owned a non-Tesla EV for 4 years now and have not ever not been able to get somewhere I wanted to go, just takes a little advance planning.

In fact I bought my current car from a dealership in Mobile Alabama and drove it through Deep South states back home to NC.

As you point out, for early adopters like you (or me) there's no real issue of where can't you go in your EV. You can go everywhere. You just have to plan.

And that's kind of the rub for people like my wife. She didn't like the planning and she didn't like being locked in to stopping at certain locations. And no matter how many arguments I made about the amount of time we saved daily by refueling at our house as opposed to going to gas stations, she would focus on her annoyance on the few road trips.

As the "one level 3 charging spot every 50 miles of interstate" part of the infrastructure plan gets built out properly, this will become less and less of an issue. But for now, in some parts of the US, it is a real issue. If I were in charge of solving the problems, though, I would focus first on increasing reliability of existing non-Telsa chargers, then focus on adding additional stalls at existing locations, and finally add existing locations.

How much time were you spending at gas stations every day ?

You don't realize how annoying having to get gas all the time is until you no longer have to do it.

"Oh I have to be at this meeting in 30 minutes. Shoot I need gas!"
"Well I better get gas on the way home so I don't have to worry about it when I'm short on time."

Biff on this thread:
But seriously, if if have to drive to Fayetteville and make a couple of stops and then drive home, that would be a greater range than most EVs (not accounting for the highway miles). So I would have to go sit in the Walmart parking lot in Fayetteville or something for 30 minutes before I drive back. That is not at all efficient for me professionally or personally. And that's why my buddy with the e-Tron Audi SUV drives his wife's gas powered vehicle from the Triangle to Charlotte for day or overnight trips.

And I don't know if it's a consideration or not currently, but do you ever have to wait for a charging port ?

Also Biff on this thread:
Lol. You people drive too much.

I didn't say I never go anywhere dipshit. but I'm sure as hell not filling up twice a week driving back and forth to the office and the golf course.

Let's say you fill up once a week and you get an oil change every 3 months. If we assume getting gas takes 15 minutes out of your day (driving there, parking, filling, paying, driving home) and an oil change takes an hour, then you save 1,020 minutes or 17 hours a year by driving an EV.

As Mich mentioned, you don't notice this time until you don't have to spend it.

What kind of rural hellscape do you live in where you need to travel to the gas station as well as pay inside. Getting gas takes like 5 minutes.

How the fuck dose it take you 15 minutes to put 18 gallons of gas in a car ? I have two gas stations within 1.5 miles of my house and pass one of them on the way to work.

I drive 11,000 miles a year and get two oil changes a year that take way less than an hour.

Do you not notice that you're sitting in a Walmart parking lot with your thumb up your ass for half an hour ?

I don't have a problem with EVs but it's not like I spend my life pumping gas or being stressed out about getting my oil changed.

Back