• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Electric Vehicles

Sure, adjust the amount of time however you would like. The point is you're not doing those two things in an EV.

And, Biff, if you actually read the thread, I've mentioned the time spent charging on road trips many, many times. The point is that the time spent on basic refueling/maintenance is very different for the two types of cars. It's hard for non-EV owners to understand the time savings, while it's easy for them to imagine the time spent charging on road trips.

Depending on your trip you might not need to do the full 30 minute thumb in ass stop. Could just need a few minute top off if your destination has an outlet to plug into.

Depending on your trip you might not need to do the full 30 minute thumb in ass stop. Could just need a few minute top off if your destination has an outlet to plug into.

Also true at a gas station.

Do you think im arguing with you or something.

EV people insisting that charging isn't a hassle is never going to work.

it's like telling red america that using shitty paper straws is going to solve climate change

honestly it can be a hassle. I’m pretty much willing to do a longer trip if it only requires one stop, since we have little kids and/or dogs. But trips any longer than that are like…once a year? Maybe less. So it’s our primary commuter instead.

Seems like the price disparity has only grown worse since I last checked (from about 10k to 13-15k). Battery life has improved, which is a positive. But financially, it still makes no sense for me unless I were living in a place with perennially high gas prices (California, for example) and had to commute every day. With the proliferation of telework, the incentive to go electric is even less. Less mileage equals less maintenance and less gas expenses. The tax incentive will offset some of that, assuming that the vehicle qualifies. There are, IMO, too many qualifiers. If the whole intent of switching to EVs is to save the world, etc, then it shouldn't matter where the car is assembled and it shouldn't matter how much money you make.

And electrics still, IMO, have not been around long enough to provide viable estimates for costs and maintenance. I may get nickel and dimed to death paying for upkeep on my gas guzzler, but when do I have to drop a bunch of $ down for a battery replacement on an EV? Or do I just go to a new EV at that point? When is that point and would I still be driving a gas guzzler had I gone that route instead?

I have had my gas guzzler for more than a decade, FWIW. Less than 80k miles, and it has been driven to the east coast and back a couple of times. I figure it would be good for another five years if I didn't have to pass it on to my kid.

All you have to do to get started in the exciting world of electric vehicles is hire an electrician to install a new plug in your garage for $2,500.

You just plug it into a regular outlet biff.

You just plug it into a regular outlet biff.

yeah but come on; real life you're going to want that faster charge

but $2500 soiunds high; my friends all got them installed for half that including the charger. B

a place with perennially high gas prices (California, for example)
just off the cuff with no #analysis it feels like gas prices have been high on average for the last two years at least

I have an ev and regular outlet is totally adequate for home charging.

And yeah if for some reason I really needed the home charger I’d install it myself just like I change my own oil like a gd man.

just off the cuff with no #analysis it feels like gas prices have been high on average for the last two years at least

They have been, but it seems to me that there is a breaking point with gas prices where most people start to seriously look at EVs. We were there about a year ago, but not so much now. California has been there forever.

I wish there were more options for PEHVs. I love ours, but don't see very much advertising outside of all electric. The PEHVs are the best of both worlds IMO, because we have the battery for short trips around town, but have the automatic conversion to gas for longer trips that prevents the need for constant stops. The maintenance is still needed comparable to a ICE, and the lack of storage space is annoying due to the larger battery, but it suits our needs quite well for the most part.

i don't feel like "time saved from not sitting at the pump vs time lost sitting at a charging station" is a persuasive argument here.

I wouldn't mind taking a 20-30 minute break to charge a car and check up on my phone addiction during a long drive. But the hotel we stayed at the other weekend was a tesla charging station and there was a solid line waiting for it which would annoy me to no end.

What is the expected service life of an EV - is it based on battery cycles or some other metric?

Back