• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Electric Vehicles

Got the BMW iX Xdrive50 this weekend. My wife and I test drove it last weekend and it blew our minds (mostly mine). They had a pretty good lease deal going on, and I can't believe she gave me the go ahead. It's so much fun to drive and the tech is ridiculous-- and has a range over 300. Couldn't wait for Kia EV9 after driving it.

Last edited:
Got the BMW iX Xdrive50 this weekend. My wife and I test drive it last weekend and it blew our minds (mostly mine). They had a pretty good lease deal going on, and I can't believe she gave me the go ahead. It's so much fun to drive and the tech is ridiculous-- and has a range over 300. Couldn't wait for Kia EV9 after driving it.

We got the iX a few months ago. I’ve never been a big car person (still have my 2003 Explorer) but I love the BMW. The acceleration is insane.

They left out the biggest reason: most EVs look like rolling eggplants. Car culture in the US is huge, and even non-car people still want their car to look at least somewhat stylish. I'm not paying $75,000 to drive in something that looks like an entry-level Mazda.

Make an electric Mustang that actually looks like a Mustang, for the price of a Mustang, and it will sell. And make a three-row EV that looks like a Tahoe, and not like a Pontiac Aztec, and it will as well.

Ugly cars sell because they are cheap. If they are charging out the ass for EVs, then they have to make them look nice.

i guess you haven't shopped for a car lately

plenty of evs look like regular vehicles

627ad07d8f41d500187aa9dc

Some are getting closer, yes. But most are not there yet. And the ones that are, like the Lightning, are priced way higher than its gas counterpart.

Finally got my lightning! Three weeks in - pretty good so far. There was a delay in getting home charger installed so first week was pain in the ass finding high speed charging stations (surprisingly few of them in Raleigh). Also the whole highway thing is taking some getting used to - so accustomed to making better mileage on highway with gas cars, and here it is complete opposite. I can barely get from Raleigh to CLT on a full 100% charge (Have the extended range battery). There a nice high speed station in Gboro off 85 so that’ll be good for road trips. And i think that huge buceees (holy shit that place is insnae) on 95 has a million plugs too.

Finally got my lightning! Three weeks in - pretty good so far. There was a delay in getting home charger installed so first week was pain in the ass finding high speed charging stations (surprisingly few of them in Raleigh). Also the whole highway thing is taking some getting used to - so accustomed to making better mileage on highway with gas cars, and here it is complete opposite. I can barely get from Raleigh to CLT on a full 100% charge (Have the extended range battery). There a nice high speed station in Gboro off 85 so that’ll be good for road trips. And i think that huge buceees (holy shit that place is insnae) on 95 has a million plugs too.
Use ABRP and it’ll show you best places to stop to maximize your time when road tripping

mrs diggs is going to test drive a mercedes EQB, EQE sedan, and EQE SUV. I haven't seen much commentary on these; any strong feelings about them?

The inside looks dope as hell, but I didn't like how the hood looks for the sedan. I'd probably wait a few months for the new Audi etron sedan, supposed to have 400 miles of range

mrs diggs is going to test drive a mercedes EQB, EQE sedan, and EQE SUV. I haven't seen much commentary on these; any strong feelings about them?
We drove them all - similar to what DnD said, the interiors look like a luxury spaceship if you are into that sort of thing. To me it was a little weird but I get how some people could really like it. And driving it was pretty cool as it pretty much drives itself and has a lot of torque. But another rolling eggplant exterior, and it doesn't actually feel like you are driving it, which to me is not what I'm looking for at that price point.

But if you want an electric car with a lot of comfort and technology, and don't care about the other driving aspects, then they have a lot of that.

These rules to qualify for the $7,500 rebate are fucking bullshit if they really want to change the makeup of America's cars on the road.

The IRS’ website has a full list of requirements for new EVs and FCVs that you should read carefully before buying a vehicle. Here’s a look at a few of the major requirements:

• Total annual adjusted gross income can’t exceed $300,000 for married couples, $225,000 for heads of household or $150,000 for single tax filers.
  • The vehicle must be for your own use and used primarily in the U.S.
  • The vehicle retail price cannot exceed $80,000 for vans, sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks, or $55,000 for all other vehicles.
  • The vehicle must meet various standards for weight, battery capacity and final assembly location, as well as where battery components or critical minerals are sourced.

Those numbers are too low.

$7,500 is barely enough to cover the cost of purchase and installation of charger in a home, though some manufacturers are including it in the sale of the vehicle

$7,500 is barely enough to cover the cost of purchase and installation of charger in a home, though some manufacturers are including it in the sale of the vehicle
I paid $350 for my level 2 charger and another ~$400 to an electrician to put in a new outlet on its own circuit for it. There's no reason for it to cost thousands unless you need the charger sited a really long way from your breaker box.

Priced it out recently and it was about a grand to put a charger on the outside of my house, and about 3 grand to run a 240 line to my detached garage and install a box there.

Agree the $7500 income limits are too low. Another reason not to vote for Republicans, Biff.

Last edited:
Back