• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Electric Vehicles

Not what they're limited to, but a common parameter for charging. What's the best EV charging time you know of?

More to the issue, are there any that come close to ICE refueling time? 10 minutes for 500 miles range.

I’m not sure what the best charging time conceivable would be but your “common parameter” of an hour for 100 miles is so far off that I’m wondering why you’re posting it on the thread.

long trip fueling convenience doesn’t come near gas cars but to willis’ point you’re generally stopping within that range anyway to take a leak or whatever.

Personally I take maybe long car 3 trips a year where the fueling stops might become a nuisance so I take a different car if I feel like it. The other 99% of my driving is short range so overall it’s a non issue for me.

Last edited:
Did a lot of reserch on EVs a year ago, then drove the Tesla Model 3, Polestar 2 and Mach E. Supply was limited and VW/Kia were just coming out with their EVs. I wasn't interested in the BMW i3 and didn't want to pay for an eTRon.

Tesla was good. Really liked the Mustang driving experience, but it simply wasn't available and dealers were price gouging. Polestar was just boring. I chickened out and got a used Tesla for the SuperCharger network. Also bought a Tesla wall charger for my garage.

The Tesla has exceeded expectations. Driving exeperience has been better than expected, and technology is excellent.

Only problems so far: (1) groaning noise when steering at low speeds and needed to replace front control arms, (2) flat tire and going to tire shop rather than having Tesla service come fix it, and (3) really slow charging speed when I needed to use the only operational unit at a ChargePoint station in a small town.

Well, I did a thing today. I no longer have the Ram with a Hemi, but didn't buy an electric vehicle. I bought something to carry me over until the tech improves even more.

Anyone have experience with the Tesla Y long range versus Performance?

Long story short. I got a new to me car recently that I really like (BMX x3m) But. I'm over the initial excitement and have some regret I didn't get electric. Prices have come way down on Tesla so I'm reconsidering- even thought Musk is a DB.

We bought our first minivan back in April. Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. Not a huge car guy, but not really ever been a fan of Chrysler. But I love this thing. First 32 miles are all electric. With our driving being largely local, we have each put one tank of gas in the car in 5 mos (outside of one road trip). Took it to Tennessee and had good gas mileage even when switching to gas/hybrid. Some of those mountain roads gave a pretty good break re-charge while breaking. Filled the ev past 50% over a 20-30 min mountain treck.

Long story short. I got a new to me car recently that I really like (BMX x3m) But. I'm over the initial excitement and have some regret I didn't get electric. Prices have come way down on Tesla so I'm reconsidering- even thought Musk is a DB.
So many other options now. I absolutely refuse to buy anything that puts money in that Nazi's pocket. You can call it virtue signaling if you want, but that guy is an absolute piece of shit.

What do you recommend in the medium SUV range? Me. Wife. Six and nine year old. We Use my wife's van for road trips

In talking with the folks at Carmax, their CEO is convinced the car price bubble will burst around the first of 2024. The salesman claimed used car prices will fall 20-30%.

I drive a Model Y LR and my buddy drives a YP. Both options are solid.
I wanted to buy a Mach E back then but they raised the price.

I drive a Model Y LR and my buddy drives a YP. Both options are solid.
I wanted to buy a Mach E back then but they raised the price.

You ever drive his? Can't decide if I need the performance for the price point. Would the size of car easily manage a family of four- At least on short day trips?

You ever drive his? Can't decide if I need the performance for the price point. Would the size of car easily manage a family of four- At least on short day trips?
Yes. I also drove a YP loaner for two weeks.
YLR is a bit more comfy and less bumpy than YP. I chose YLR because I need a longer range.
The space in the back is about the average. It can handle four average-size passengers for sure. Tesla is never known for the comfortable seats but comfort is a subjective thing. You should probably take a test drive to find out.

Back