• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Help Me Move to San Fran

id love a good tasting where i dont have to make decisions with pairings. like $200 per person for food/wine pairings?

If you're going to drop that much cash, why don't you try to sneak into Gary Danko and be done with it?

You could also do Acquerello, Benu, Kiss, La Folie, Quince, Spruce? All those places are way too rich for my blood.

Plaj is supposedly pretty cool, but I'm not sure Scandanavian is for a celebration. State Bird might be too much of a hassle.

I really like Dosa, and the one on Fillmore is supposedly more upscale than the one in the Mission I normally go to. I've had good experiences at Cotogna, too. Those two places are probably better values.

Why not do French Laundry if you're already in the $200/range, especially if you've never been.

was thinking maybe gary danko. i mean i'd prefer to spend less. that's a max out. what would you do for less pricey options?

That's an impossible turnaround in two weeks. Most places that will charge you $200 a head that are worth eating at are.

Don't dine on Mondays. That's when they get rid of all the leftovers. Wednesdays are where it's at.

was thinking maybe gary danko. i mean i'd prefer to spend less. that's a max out. what would you do for less pricey options?

Cotogna is really nice, kind of cozy, very good food, relatively affordable for what you get. It's like Quince Lite. They have a good wine list where every bottle across the board is $40.

La Folie will do like 4-5 courses for under $100. Michelin star. Very french.

Frances in the Castro is supposed to be really, really great. Might run into reservation issues there, too. More rustic.

You could also look at Aziza, Baker & Banker, Bouche (Morrocan), Kokkari (Greek), or L'Ardoise. Also, if you're still in Bernal, La Ciccia is supposed to be really excellent, too. And close to home.

am still in bernal.

ugh... the lady just told me she's on travel for her current job the day of closing. hopefully when she puts her 2 weeks in they'll take her off the project that starts that week. reservations on hold for now. thanks for the info, though.

be so glad when she's not travelling so much because there is so much good food in this city we havent been able to check out yet because when she's home we just tend to to cook and hang.

Have you been to Angkor Borei, Emmy's, ICHI, Taqueria Cancun or Blue Plate? Besides La Ciccia, those are the places on my list for Bernal, but it's a pain in the ass for me to get down there to eat, and if we're in that area of the city we're generally going to eat in the Mission rather than keep going up to Bernal.

been to all of them but ichi. the line's been hellish every time we've thought about going. angkor is a big go to. fresh and somewhat healthy and we love asian, so...

got any insight on good restaurant blogs or folks to follow on twitter?

I used to be a lot more into the blogs when I first got here, but it got to be overwhelming. I subscribe to 7x7, Eater and Tasting Table, and that tends to cover things pretty well. Inside Scoop SF is decent, too.

Chronicle's Top 100 Bay Area Restaurants and Top 100 Bars apps aren't 100% infallible, but are good quick and dirty references for cuisine, ambience, and geography.

Back