• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Purchasing a washer & dryer

captruss24

Did I mention I'm a South Carolina fan? You know,
Reaction score
We're looking to replace our existing W&D combo with either a new front-loader or top-loader (high efficiency) combo. I've heard good things about both front and top loading, but just as many bad things. Has anyone experienced leaking with the front loading washer? Top loader clothes ultra wrinkled b/c spin cycle too fast? We've looked at Samsung, LG, and Whirlpool combos. We were told by a store rep that the front loader leaking problems were fixed with newer models, and we would need an agitator to solve the wrinkling problem with top loaders. And what's the deal with a pedestal for the front loader costing $229? Would prefer to keep this purchase under $1,600 for the combo. Any feedback would be appreciated.

We recently got Whirlpool Cabrio HE washer/dryer set from Lowes, I don't recall the model number off hand. We got them for $500 each on sale, normally $600 each. It's only been about a month, but so far so good. It's a top load washer, no agitator, but I don't notice any wrinkle problem, but then again, we dry most stuff and that takes care of wrinkles. But I don't recall ever finding lots of wrinkles in the things we've line dried. We don't have the pedestal, I think it's just for looks and storage space, seems pretty unnecessary to me. I had asked around before buying and heard good things about the Whirlpool brand.

I think front load is the way to go nowadays, especially w/ energy savings you'll get from that (less water, bigger loads, etc.). I'm no expert though.

My parents got a new LG front load W&D a couple years back and it's a pretty bauce set. Hasn't given them any problems afaik, definitely no leaking issues.

We're looking to replace our existing W&D combo with either a new front-loader or top-loader (high efficiency) combo. I've heard good things about both front and top loading, but just as many bad things. Has anyone experienced leaking with the front loading washer? Top loader clothes ultra wrinkled b/c spin cycle too fast? We've looked at Samsung, LG, and Whirlpool combos. We were told by a store rep that the front loader leaking problems were fixed with newer models, and we would need an agitator to solve the wrinkling problem with top loaders. And what's the deal with a pedestal for the front loader costing $229? Would prefer to keep this purchase under $1,600 for the combo. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I bought front loading LG Washer and Dryer and pedestals last year. They are amazing. I may be locked in to LG forever. I have had 0 problems. They are really great appliances.

Front loaders are definitely the way to go.

I sell them over the summer and have no complaints over them leaking.

They lock in very well and you can't open them when they are running, so there's no real issue at all.

LG, Whirlpool/maytag (same parts different names), GE are the way to go.

Samsung is fairly new to the game, so they haven't really been tested

Bought a HE Whirlpool set from Sears back in July. It's a top load washer. Nothing too fancy, uses very little water, clothes are not wrinkled, and cleans well. I spent right at $1,000 for the pair.

We've got a Maytag HE front load combo that we've had for a few years and does a really good job cleaning. No leaking problems, but you do have to leave the door to the washer slightly open when not in use or you will get a mildew smell from water collecting in the front. Not a big deal at all, so long as you have enough clearance with the laundry room door to close with the open washer door behind it. You also have to pull the gasket every once in a while (maybe twice a year) to check for kids' socks and other small things that will occasionally work their way in there and get caught in the trap. Again, not a big deal and you usually know if you are missing something.

My one real complaint is with the sensors for the digital timer. It won't complete a wash cycle until it senses that it has spun the clothes relatively dry. So it will get down to like 1 minute left and then pause while it checks the moisture level, and then spin again if the level is too high. It will repeat that process until the moisture falls below the cutoff level. But that isn't built into the timer, so half the time it seems like the last 2 minutes on the timer actually lasts about 15 minutes. Which is a pain in the ass if you are waiting to put something in the dryer before leaving.

I'll give you a good deal on my W&D combo, feel free to send me a PM for details. I'm in CLT.

We bought a Whirlpool Cabrio top loading pair 25 months ago and had nothing but problems with them. The dryer kept blowing the fuse link - a known problem that Whirlpool refuses to acknowledge. The dryer lasted 15 months and we gave the washer to our daughter (washer lasted a total of 23 months). We replaced them with a LG high efficiency front-loading pair with pedestals 10 months ago and are amazed at how great they are. No leaks, very little lint and you could arguably hang dry the majority of the clothes in short order.

From the research I did, I recommend LG or Samsung. I think we spent around $1600 on the pair, including 10% off and $100 off each pedestal. Lowes and Home Depot have regular sales, so pick the one you like and wait for it to go on sale. If you have a local dealer that carries what you want, see if they'll price match the big box store.

We've had a LG front load set for a few years. They do a good job, but as 2&2 stated, the washer does involve more "maintenance" than a top loader. In addition to keeping the door open and wiping the seal to prevent mildew, we drain it on a weekly basis (only takes a couple of minutes) and run a tub cleaning cycle w/ bleach once a month. When doing research b/f we bought, we saw that lots of people were ending up with a buildup between the tubs after about 6 months or so due to liquid fabric softener not fully rinsing out, resulting in a bad odor. We don't use liquid fabric softener or liquid detergent and have had no issues w/ mildew or odor. The biggest cost savings we've noticed is on detergent usage. A full load only needs a couple of tablespoons of HE power due to the lower water consumption.

On the dryer side, I wouldn't pay extra for the steam feature. Tried it a couple of times, and it didn't make any noticeable difference. Seems like more of marketing gimmick.

Also didn't see the need to pay $100 each for pedestals. No big deal bending a few inches more.

I just wipe the rubber gasket with a Clorox wipe every month or so. Cleans it as well as any store-bought cleaner.

We bought a Samsung set (front-loading) about a year and a half ago. No problems at all. The main reason I like the pedestals is because otherwise the washer and dryer sit very low to the ground.

I have a top loader HE Whirlpool (I think). Went with top loader because I had read the same negative reviews about the front loading machines, but I made my purchase a long ago. I haven't had issues with wrinkling. My one complaint with HE machines in general is that the washers seem to have ridiculously long cycles. It takes forever to do a single load of laundry.

If you can delay your purchase until the fall you can take advantage of the sales tax holiday for energy star products.

We recently got Whirlpool Cabrio HE washer/dryer set from Lowes, I don't recall the model number off hand. We got them for $500 each on sale, normally $600 each. It's only been about a month, but so far so good. It's a top load washer, no agitator, but I don't notice any wrinkle problem, but then again, we dry most stuff and that takes care of wrinkles. But I don't recall ever finding lots of wrinkles in the things we've line dried. We don't have the pedestal, I think it's just for looks and storage space, seems pretty unnecessary to me. I had asked around before buying and heard good things about the Whirlpool brand.

This is basically what we got a year ago. I love it. I didn't like the front loader, so I was very adamant that it had to be a top loader. It has been over a year and we have yet to find a negative.

We bought a Samsung HE set last year. They have been awesome. The washer is a toploader as we had concerns about front loaders getting mildew if the door is not kept open. Our unit now has a ton of settings including "ecowarm" which is basically using water just warm enough to activate enzymes in detergents without wasting a bunch of hot water. The dryer has the steam function so that it basically irons during the cycle. Both have been durable and can even handle multiple weekly loads of cloth diapers!

We've had a LG front load set for a few years. They do a good job, but as 2&2 stated, the washer does involve more "maintenance" than a top loader. In addition to keeping the door open and wiping the seal to prevent mildew, we drain it on a weekly basis (only takes a couple of minutes) and run a tub cleaning cycle w/ bleach once a month. When doing research b/f we bought, we saw that lots of people were ending up with a buildup between the tubs after about 6 months or so due to liquid fabric softener not fully rinsing out, resulting in a bad odor. We don't use liquid fabric softener or liquid detergent and have had no issues w/ mildew or odor. The biggest cost savings we've noticed is on detergent usage. A full load only needs a couple of tablespoons of HE power due to the lower water consumption.

On the dryer side, I wouldn't pay extra for the steam feature. Tried it a couple of times, and it didn't make any noticeable difference. Seems like more of marketing gimmick.

Also didn't see the need to pay $100 each for pedestals. No big deal bending a few inches more.

Thank-you!! We have had the worst mildew odor in our new LG's for the last 6 months and I could not figure it out. It has been driving me nuts. I will have to try this and see if it fixes it.

I bought front loading LG Washer and Dryer and pedestals last year. They are amazing. I may be locked in to LG forever. I have had 0 problems. They are really great appliances.

Absolutely. We've had LG washer/dryer frontloaders for about 7 years and they haven't had so much as a hiccup. One thing: you do need to clean a front-loader washer and leave the door open after washes. The seal around the door is designed to hold water (i.e. no leaking) and that can get funky. We generally use Tide liquid (for HE's) and don't have any issues. We use the Tide HE washer cleaner and have been very happy with results. Low energy and water users. Definitely look into full stainless tubs, though. Much more rugged and don't show wear nearly as much.

Last edited:
fyi, you need to take the backs off your dryers and clean out the lint back there every six months or at least every year. otherwise it will eventually catch on fire. cleaning the lint trap isn't enough. no bueno if it happens when you're not home. happened to us a few months after moving into a new house. luckily we were home at the time and generally don't leave the dryer on when we go out. fire dept had to come though, and they said a ton of their calls are for dryer fires. if i can keep just one dwarf's tree-house from burning down, then this post was a success.

oayhwi.jpg
k703m.jpg

Back