• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Purchasing a washer & dryer

I come into the house about once a year with the gas powered leaf blower and hold the dryer vent tube to the end of the blower, blowing all the accumulated lint out of the vent into the yard. Wife hates it when I do that because it makes the laundry room smell like gas exhaust.

fyi, you need to take the backs off your dryers and clean out the lint back there every six months or at least every year. otherwise it will eventually catch on fire. cleaning the lint trap isn't enough. no bueno if it happens when you're not home. happened to us a few months after moving into a new house. luckily we were home at the time and generally don't leave the dryer on when we go out. fire dept had to come though, and they said a ton of their calls are for dryer fires. if i can keep just one dwarf's tree-house from burning down, then this post was a success.

oayhwi.jpg
k703m.jpg

I come into the house about once a year with the gas powered leaf blower and hold the dryer vent tube to the end of the blower, blowing all the accumulated lint out of the vent into the yard. Wife hates it when I do that because it makes the laundry room smell like gas exhaust.

Our dryer is pretty old(we rent and it came with the place.) I put a load of towels in a few months ago and came back down two hours later and they were still basically wet, although it was hot inside the dryer. I knew it couldn't be good so I took off the vent. There wasn't much lint in it, so I figured it had to be somewhere else. I then took the lower portion off and removed the duct work that sucks air out of the dryer chamber. This appeared to be my problem. There was 1"x1" hole that the air was being sucked through. The rest of the duct was layered with about 2" lint that I had to scrape off with my vacuum attachments. I couldn't believe it hadn't exploded in flames yet.

Fast forward to today and I still have problems with the dryer. I think we just need to get a new one. I'm pretty sure that most of the problem lies in the dryer vent and the length that we have to have because of the placement of the dryer's electrical socket, but I'd feel much more comfortable with a newer model.

Found a picture. I had to remove the beige housing above the fan.

10578771-what-lurks-inside-your-clothes-dryer.jpg

I bought front loading LG Washer and Dryer and pedestals last year. They are amazing. I may be locked in to LG forever. I have had 0 problems. They are really great appliances.

Absolutely. We've had LG washer/dryer frontloaders for about 7 years and they haven't had so much as a hiccup. One thing: you do need to clean a front-loader washer and leave the door open after washes. The seal around the door is designed to hold water (i.e. no leaking) and that can get funky. We generally use Tide liquid (for HE's) and don't have any issues. We use the Tide HE washer cleaner and have been very happy with results. Low energy and water users. Definitely look into full stainless tubs, though. Much more rugged and don't show wear nearly as much.

As a follow up, I purchased the floor models right before they were going to move them. The W/D were originally $999 each with $200 pedestals. I bought the whole deal for $1,100, delivered and installed - like a boss. I really killed it on that deal. (Good thing the poor people tag is already on here).

Old dryers are really pretty simple machines and will last forever if you change the parts out. I had one that lasted about 25 years that my parents got when they got married.

Old dryers are really pretty simple machines and will last forever if you change the parts out. I had one that lasted about 25 years that my parents got when they got married.

Yeah, our landlord might decide to just get it fixed, but I doubt it. He is pretty lazy.

As a follow up, I purchased the floor models right before they were going to move them. The W/D were originally $999 each with $200 pedestals. I bought the whole deal for $1,100, delivered and installed - like a boss. I really killed it on that deal. (Good thing the poor people tag is already on here).

Whar???? We need to buy the W&D combo by May 31st as that's our move date. Maybe stores will have Memorial Day sales???

We bought a refurbished washer & dryer from a used appliance store three or four years ago. Relatively new models of both and they came with a decent warranty from the store. No issues to date and I think we paid about half of the new price.

bump! any suggestions for the best place to buy a basic washer/dryer in Winston? Knowledgeable salespeople but not pushy ones.

I don't think I can afford the fancy front loading ones, plus all the things I hear about the washer leaking and bad smell is not attractive. I'll probably just get a standard top loading washer. I'd like to spend around $1000 on the pair.

And I know lots of people suggest Craigslist and such but I really really want new ones so I can have paperwork and warranty and know exactly what I am getting.

bump! any suggestions for the best place to buy a basic washer/dryer in Winston? Knowledgeable salespeople but not pushy ones.

I don't think I can afford the fancy front loading ones, plus all the things I hear about the washer leaking and bad smell is not attractive. I'll probably just get a standard top loading washer. I'd like to spend around $1000 on the pair.

And I know lots of people suggest Craigslist and such but I really really want new ones so I can have paperwork and warranty and know exactly what I am getting.

We had good luck with the Lowes in the mall area a few years back. The sales person was very knowledgeable and walked us through options.

I've been to hhgregg and hated it. The sales people stalk you, which makes me want to not do business with them.

One word of advice. Be sure to look and see what type of plug you have for the dryer. There are 3 prongs and 4 prongs. You will then have to choose the appropriate cord.

We had good luck with the Lowes in the mall area a few years back. The sales person was very knowledgeable and walked us through options.

I've been to hhgregg and hated it. The sales people stalk you, which makes me want to not do business with them.

One word of advice. Be sure to look and see what type of plug you have for the dryer. There are 3 prongs and 4 prongs. You will then have to choose the appropriate cord.

Just tell them you are only looking and that you'll get them if they need anything. They will work with you on the price and sometimes they'll price match. Worth it in my book.

Just tell them you are only looking and that you'll get them if they need anything. They will work with you on the price and sometimes they'll price match. Worth it in my book.

We did that and then another started stalking. It was a miserable experience.

Lowe's actually price matched as well. They just don't advertise it. I know with lowe's, I've also convinced them to lower the price a few times too.

thanks. I'll also possibly be looking at financing it if there are 0% interest offers, so I may check out multiple places when it is time to buy, to see who has better deals.

I do absolutely despise stores with salespeople who don't leave you alone. If I can turn one person down and they stay gone until I need them, that's fine though.

Check with your real estate agent to see if they have any hookups with certain stores also. I know we used to get 20% off deals and other hookups to certain stores all the time for new buyers.

Check with your real estate agent to see if they have any hookups with certain stores also. I know we used to get 20% off deals and other hookups to certain stores all the time for new buyers.

Good idea. Also I should probably start looking at all the mail I'm getting. There are definitely coupons in there.

Add another vote here for the LG front loaders. We got ours on Black Friday last year. One suggestion I would definitely make is spend the extra money for the steam models. They're awesome. The steam washer gets rid of any and all odors when we wash the dog's bed and towels. The steam dryer is the best part though - I never need to iron anything anymore at all.

Got to an independent dealer and get a Speed Queen. It has everything you need minus the bells & whistles. All is does is wash and it does it quickly. Most dealers will work with you on price but I paid $480 for mine. You can thank me later.

http://www.speedqueen.com/

Oh and something I learned the other week, the new high efficiency washers have to be cleaned. There are tablets for it. You just pop them in and run a wash with no clothes. If you don't, the washer leaves this gunky film on your clothes, especially dark clothes like jeans!

images

Back