• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Austin package bombs

A rube is someone who has been duped by the GOP since the inception of the Southern Strategy and the marriage of the Moral Majority with the GOP - in concert with the supply side con - into voting against their own self interests time and time again

A rube is someone who has been duped by the GOP since the inception of the Southern Strategy and the marriage of the Moral Majority with the GOP - in concert with the supply side con - into voting against their own self interests time and time again

This is not totally true and, rube, in the context it is used a lot here is just for average lower middle class white people, that like lower middle class white people things. Like olive garden, or coors light, or flying an american flag outside their house, or country music, or anything else poor whites like.

Rube on the tunnels does typically have more of a political lean to it, but that does not apply to the rest of the boards or internet in general.

This is the urban dictionary definition.

rube
A derogatory term for a southerner; a redneck; white trash

Fair enough. But by that definition, we are both right. :)

The GOP has done a great job over the past 50-60 years taking them from the Democrats by distilling politics down into oversimplified "Us vs Them" binary choices trumped by the wedge issues of abortion, sex, guns, and race.

rube, n. and adj.

Origin: From proper names.
Etymology: < Rube (also Reub), pet-form of the male forename Reuben (see Reuben n.1).
colloq. (orig. and chiefly N. Amer.). Mildly derogatory. A. n.
Thesaurus »
Categories »
An unsophisticated person from the country; a yokel, a hick. Cf. Reuben n.1

1891 L. Hawkins Boom Ta-rah! in Delaney's Song Bk. (1892) No. 1. 8/2 The Rube at me four aces flings.
1896 G. Ade Artie i. 8 If I had time I'd go over to that church and make a lot o' them Reubs look like thirty-cent pieces.
1923 M. Sadleir Desolate Splendour 33 A girl rube from the Canadian backwoods.
1956 W. R. Bird Off-trail in Nova Scotia iii. 69 Don't try to talk down to someone you meet in those places no matter if they look like rubes for ten to one they've seen more of the world than you have.
1973 J. Gores Final Notice xxiv. 158 The rube who wanders into the pool hall and loses a few games... Then the bets get bigger and he..starts clearing tables.
2006 Independent 29 Nov. (Extra section) 6/2 Just as rubes want..to see if The Big Apple is as fabulous as they say it is, urbanites like me want to see if the Grand Canyon is as deep as reported.

B. adj. (attrib.).
Of or relating to a rube or rubes; of the nature of or characteristic of a rube; unsophisticated; countrified.

1898 Si Stebbins' Card Tricks: Supplemented 24 One morning during the Garden engagement I started from 30th St. and Broadway dressed in my rube togs, and walked to the post office.
1900 G. Ade Fables in Slang 10 Alas, the Rube Town in which she Hung Forth was given over to Croquet.
1956 H. D. Wade Establishm. Texas Technol. Coll. viii. 108 There were Boy Scout bands from Plainview and San Angelo,..and a rube band from Big Spring.
1976 Time 20 Dec. 17/1 They were an unsolemn pair, the young man who likes his rube image and the impeccably dressed man.
2000 Country Music People May 5/2 A black-toothed rube comic, garbed in a yellow checkered suit, green derby and high-buttoned shoes.

Apologies for the formatting -- very difficult to manipulate and impossible to edit.

The term "rube" has been around for a long time.

Apologies for the formatting -- very difficult to manipulate and impossible to edit.

The term "rube" has been around for a long time.

Yeah, but in context of this here OGBoards, it’s clearly aimed at those, wherever they may live, who have been duped by Donald.

Yeah, but in context of this here OGBoards, it’s clearly aimed at those, wherever they may live, who have been duped by Donald.
You're not wrong about this. It's interesting how the "unsophisticated" and "countrified" tendencies tend to be expressed by the Trumpkins

Back