• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Austin Proehl

Here's your Austin Proehl story:

Despite some of the comments made on this thread, once Austin was offered, he was never "out-recruited" or "cooled-on." He received something daily from the WFU staff once he was offered.

Austin Proehl had an Ohio offer for months and nothing else. That was it. He daily begged the Wake Forest coaches for an offer. No other P5 school was going to offer a kid if the school where his daddy was a legend at wasn't going to. Wake eventually offered. When they did, Wake was going all "option-style" and that "scared" Austin a little. He didn't commit instantly as the staff thought he would (after all, the kid had been begging for it for a long time).

The biggest "problem" in Austin's recruitment was that his recruiting (or area) coach changed four times between Galloway, Duffie, Belin, and Stubblefield. After Duffie left, Belin + Stubbs split the recruitment as both had the Charlotte area (one north, the other south) - Belin has a tight relationship with the family and Stubbs was the WR coach. Regardless, Austin continually felt the love from the staff once he was offered. He was even pulled out of Wake's Elite Summer Camp to meet in Grobe's office for over 30 minutes.

He camped at VT and got an offer. He went to Fedora's Freak Show, mostly because Gunter Brewer got him an invite. UNC later offered, and Austin committed instantly.

When Clawson was hired, he tried to re-recruit Austin. It didn't work out. Ricky was annoyed he wasn't interviewed for the Wake HC job (I don't know if this had a role in Austin's recruitment, that's a story for another day).

Bottom line, the kid used Wake to get more offers. He saw the "big state school" and had a HS teammate committed to UNC. He saw a big boost in his twitter followers once he was offered by UNC (seems silly, but kids care about that).

I do think Austin is generally a good kid, but this was a punk move by him, and his "celebration" was another punk move last night.

As much as I'd love a truly "qualified" Wake legend coaching here, surely Ricky didn't think he could be a candidate with very little coaching experience ( at all) did him?

He's a spoiled jerk kid. I've known him for years. He was a punk in youth football but he was coddled because of his dad. His bad behavior was often overlooked.
He and the tar holes deserve each other. I've seen him be a flat out jackass to coaches and teammates. His dad is one of the Wake GOATs and I will always be a fan and respect his career, but I (privately) never wanted to see Austin in OG&B.

He's a spoiled jerk kid. I've known him for years. He was a punk in youth football but he was coddled because of his dad. His bad behavior was often overlooked.
He and the tar holes deserve each other. I've seen him be a flat out jackass to coaches and teammates. His dad is one of the Wake GOATs and I will always be a fan and respect his career, but I (privately) never wanted to see Austin in OG&B.

That being said, if I were a coach, I'd be furious if one of my players taunted another team's coach like Switzer did.

Hey now - there you go. Whatevs - looking forward to UNC being on probation. I might have made a couple "say it again in Swahili" jokes last night after a couple bourbons in that shit hole stadium.

A drunk UNC student sat right behind me and another WF fan/grad in section 101 ( the WF section) during the first half. First, he makes an issue of our gold helmets- said you need to be a great team to wear them. I reminded him that our school colors are gold and black. Next, he asks how far WF is from UNC. His sober GF wisely moved them to other seating for the second half. Many Walmart UNC fans sat in 101 as well. Miserable night for many reasons .

Too bad WF doesn't get them at BBT next year. Switzer and Proehl should count their blessings .

A drunk UNC student sat right behind me and another WF fan/grad in section 101 ( the WF section) during the first half. First, he makes an issue of our gold helmets- said you need to be a great team to wear them. I reminded him that our school colors are gold and black. Next, he asks how far WF is from UNC. His sober GF wisely moved them to other seating for the second half. Many Walmart UNC fans sat in 101 as well. Miserable night for many reasons .

The last time we beat them at Kenan was a miserable experience. Lots of BS went on during the game, but the best was having a drink thrown at our car as we were leaving and some drunk tar hole pounding on our hood screaming "overrated".

He made his decision and should expect the consequences. I will boo if ever given the chance. So sorry for his dad.

It is totally the kid's choice. Dad is coaching for the Carolina Panthers and will not be seeing many if any games. He most likely just wants what is best for his son. Big shoes to fill with a HOFer in his Dad so e may not have wanted to do it at Wake, who knows. But Ricky was one of the best receivers if not the best of all time at Wake.

UNC was selling special faculty/staff appreciation tickets at a reduced price in 101. Undoubtedly obnoxious, but not necessarily Walmart.

The last time we beat them at Kenan was a miserable experience. Lots of BS went on during the game, but the best was having a drink thrown at our car as we were leaving and some drunk tar hole pounding on our hood screaming "overrated".
2006?

It is totally the kid's choice. Dad is coaching for the Carolina Panthers and will not be seeing many if any games. He most likely just wants what is best for his son. Big shoes to fill with a HOFer in his Dad so e may not have wanted to do it at Wake, who knows. But Ricky was one of the best receivers if not the best of all time at Wake.
He and Camp are the top 2 I've seen.

I feel like Anderson never lived up to his freshman year though.
We had a heckuva streak of good wideouts going for a while there. Moore to Boldin to Givens to Camp and I probably left 1-2 out.

Back