• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Austin, TX cops arrest female jogger for jaywalking

We all know from the voting threads that we can't possibly expect people to have ID.

Do you know how many runners you could arrest for not having ID! I don't run with ID. Probably not wise from a health perspective, but illegal?

These cops should be made to watch TAGS, and be told to be more like Andy and less like Barney. Heck, throw in the color season for punishment.

Security over freedom boys...security over freedom.

Anytime you are prone to take the "if you don't have anything to hide you don't have anything to worry about" stance remember that these guys are the ones in charge of determining if you have something to hide.

Well said.

You know things have gone crazy when a white girl in Austin is getting treated like a black man in LA.

Holy shit I run through that area all the time, its less than a half a mile from my apartment. Good thing I'm quick enough to get away from those pigs.

i thought chicks in austin were supposed to be hot.

my brother once got arrested for jaywalking when he crossed the street with out the walk sign in tampa. he was crossing from his high school to the chikfila across the street (pre-hate mongering). the cop tried to give him a stern talking to and didnt like his attitude. so he gave him a ticket, put him in handcuffs, and called my parents. there were less than thrilled with that asshole.

first off, every (super boring) run in I've had with a cop has been one where he was a total shithead, but it's pretty funny how every board story about a cop going overboard ends with, ".... I mean, I/my friend/those guys were being total assholes to him but he didn't have to arrest them or whatever"

first off, every (super boring) run in I've had with a cop has been one where he was a total shithead, but it's pretty funny how every board story about a cop going overboard ends with, ".... I mean, I/my friend/those guys were being total assholes to him but he didn't have to arrest them or whatever"

It's almost like jaywalking isn't against the law.

are you referring to my story about my 15 yo brother getting handcuffed for jaywalking as evidence of people "being total assholes" and thus deserving it or was it the girl running and blowing through a no walk sign?

are you referring to my story about my 15 yo brother getting handcuffed for jaywalking as evidence of people "being total assholes" and thus deserving it or was it the girl running and blowing through a no walk sign?

yep:

my brother once got arrested for jaywalking when he crossed the street with out the walk sign in tampa. he was crossing from his high school to the chikfila across the street (pre-hate mongering). the cop tried to give him a stern talking to and didnt like his attitude. so he gave him a ticket, put him in handcuffs, and called my parents. there were less than thrilled with that asshole.

I thought the case of the Beverly Hills Walker that went to the Supreme Court said you didn't have to give police ID just because they asked.

I'm not familiar with that case but I know cases like Atwater v. Lago Vista have held that the police can arrest you for essentially any misdemeanor offense. That is of course under the federal constitution and the individual states have likely adopted their own statutes/state constitutional provisions to limit this discretion.

It's not until after jaywalkers get killed (I believe Atlanta, while a city in decline, is also a leading US metropolis for pedestrian deaths) that people call for police to have done more and protect people from... themselves. As I said, that's only after, though.

I thought the case of the Beverly Hills Walker that went to the Supreme Court said you didn't have to give police ID just because they asked.

While that may be unique to CA, some states require you to provide your basic information to a police officer such as name and date of birth. I would imagine Texas is one of those states, well, because it is Texas.

While that may be unique to CA, some states require you to provide your basic information to a police officer such as name and date of birth. I would imagine Texas is one of those states, well, because it is Texas.

Texas requires it if you're being arrested, but not if you're just being detained.

Back