• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bald Eagles are F-ing Boss

What's the eagle doing in France? Probably searching for some freedom fries, amirite?

Cool video. Saw one for the first time a couple months ago in the NC mountains. It flew about 50 feet off the ground right up our driveway. Had no idea how big they were! Watched him swoop and soar along the ridge for about 10 minutes. Was hoping he was looking for a nesting spot so he would be around more, but haven't seen him since.

saw this earlier and put it on fb. pretty great vid.

many thanks to the guy who first thought, "maybe I should strap a GoPro to a GODDAMN EAGLE."

I once attended this leadership class and some cheesedick bro was telling us about the bald eagle and how it broke its own beak off at 30 years old so it would grow stronger by slamming it repeatedly into a large rock. Also it plucked its own feathers out so they would grow back capable of better flying. Essentially he was saying that we all needed to understand we could make ourselves better blah blah blah. Honestly within a minute of this drivel half the folks in the class are googling this shit knowing there was no way it was true. And of course it's not.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/eaglerebirth.asp

That said, 'Merica, Fuck Yeah. Bald Eagles are boss as shit without all the fabrications that some Mark J. Cundiff wannabe tried to spew at a leadership seminar.

Was in Alaska a little over a year ago and saw a Bald Eagle fly down to try and grab this fish out of the lake. It hit the water hard and kept trying to fly away but the fish was too big (he'd get a foot of two out of the water, but not be able to take off, especially with the fish flailing around). So the eagle just decided to swim to shore...probably about 150 yards (was about 100 yards from me when he got to shore). Once it got to shore, it dragged that fish up and ate the shit out of it like a boss. I bet that fish weighed every bit of 10 lbs

We all know owls are cooler.

Owls are like the apache helicopter of birds. You don't know they're coming, but when you see them, it's too late.

Cool video. Saw one for the first time a couple months ago in the NC mountains. It flew about 50 feet off the ground right up our driveway. Had no idea how big they were! Watched him swoop and soar along the ridge for about 10 minutes. Was hoping he was looking for a nesting spot so he would be around more, but haven't seen him since.

It is the fucking worst that I am a freaking DR. OF BIRDLAW and I have never seen a bald eagle in the wild. Raptor migration is pretty intense right now and I am DYING to look up and spot one.

Chic, you probably would have stroked out if you had been sitting in my class and listened to that guy tell the story of the bald eagle.

Chic, you probably would have stroked out if you had been sitting in my class and listened to that guy tell the story of the bald eagle.

yeah, people perpetuate myths about birds all the time that drive me crazy...for example...NOTHING happens if you touch a nest/baby bird in terms of its mother abandoning the nest.

yeah, people perpetuate myths about birds all the time that drive me crazy...for example...NOTHING happens if you touch a nest/baby bird in terms of its mother abandoning the nest.

For example, here I am reaching into a nest box and then holding the baby (I would never have done any of this if there was any risk to the babies, I may not be the kind of Dr. who has to take a Hippocratic oath, but I am at least kind of responsible)
t9jj1x.jpg

kco485.jpg

Last edited:
For example, here I am reaching into a nest box and then holding the baby (I would never have done any of this if there was any risk to the babies, I may not be the kind of Dr. who has to take a Hippocratic oath, but I am at least kind of responsible)
t9jj1x.jpg

kco485.jpg

That owl is awesome.

It is the fucking worst that I am a freaking DR. OF BIRDLAW and I have never seen a bald eagle in the wild. Raptor migration is pretty intense right now and I am DYING to look up and spot one.

You need to make a trip to Alaska. They are all over the place.

For a spot where there are a lot of eagles, but closer to Alaska, try the Susquehanna River around Conowingo dam in northern Maryland (north of Baltimore). Eagles feast on the fish injured coming through the power plant turbines at Conowingo. On some days there may be as many as 20 eagles.

The country's second largest population of Bald Eagles is in Alton IL...did I see one? nope. they are taunting me.

Back