• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

There’s a reason this part of the story did not make it into school history books and pageants or get remembered on Thanksgiving.

“It’s not a fun story,” Peters said, but its telling brings the focus away from the white Europeans, the Pilgrims, and shifts the balance back to the people who were harmed. Its telling builds the empathy that has been sorely lacking when it comes to Native American lives.

“No one has acknowledged these atrocities happened,” Peters said, bringing up King Philip's War. “Yet when we talk about it, there’s zero empathy. The native life doesn’t hold the same value.

“I think if we can get people to come to terms with the history and the way it happened, they can start to look at Native American lives on the same plane as European lives,” he said.”

Or

Time to cancel Thanksgiving.

Maybe we can holidays without the lies to justify racial violence.

Who needs to acknowledge those atrocities happened for them to count because this stuff has been known for a long time?

Students and parents in Johnston County, Iowa, marched to protest the new school board signing the "1776 Pledge" to "restore honest, patriotic education" in the local public schools. According to the article in the Des Moines Register, the protest was organized "after comments made by observers, including Sen. Jake Chapman, an Adel Republican and the president of the Iowa Senate, at last week’s book reconsideration meeting. Chapman told those at the meeting that he intends to draft legislation that would make it a felony to distribute "obscene" material to students, specifically mentioning teachers."

The "1776 Pledge" taken by the new school board members pledges them to:

-Restoring "honest, patriotic education" that cultivates in children "a profound love for our country."

-Promoting a curriculum that teaches that "all children are created equal, have equal moral value under God, our Constitution and the law, and are members of a national community united by our founding principles."

-Prohibiting curriculum that "pits students against one another" on the basis of race or sex.

-Preventing schools from "politicizing education" by prohibiting curriculum that requires students to protest or lobby during or after school. (Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the Civics classes these students take, doesn't it?) "In a democracy you are free to peacefully protest - unless you happen to be doing it in this particular county."

Before taking the pledge, school board members had to "affirm that they share a set of beliefs, including that the United States is an "exceptional nation," that the founding fathers and other leaders were "among the greatest Americans to ever live" and deserve to be honored as heroes, and that young people should be taught to view each other as "individuals made in the image of God" and not by race or gender."

None of that, of course, has anything to do with CRT.

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/johnston-students-parents-protest-patriotic-122944550.html

Yep.

If only the “left” would just accept the reality of inferior races, systemic inequality/racism. Would be so much easier and more peaceful. For some.

You’re the one bringing up reality vs fantasy on the thread discussing conservative efforts to ban certain uncomfortable discussions and books etc.

Maybe we can holidays without the lies to justify racial violence.

When was the last time your family sat down at Thanksgiving and devoted time to analyzing the historical accuracy of the myth behind the holiday? Or do you just go on blissfully enjoying the time with family/friends, and subsequent commercial hellscape of black Friday like 99.99% of people do?

i mean, i celebrate Christmas but I don't give two fucks about jesus.

maybe we just acknowledge that the pilgrim/feast myth was sort of retroactively applied to a the general Harvest Feast concept that english colonists did and then jettison it so we can just have a Fall Harvest celebration and make it about being thankful and celebrating friends/family

maybe we just acknowledge that the pilgrim/feast myth was sort of retroactively applied to a the general Harvest Feast concept that english colonists did and then jettison it so we can just have a Fall Harvest celebration and make it about being thankful and celebrating friends/family

im good with this

Isn't that what it is?

Back