• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

These people are genuinely dumb and they're mad that everyone else is finally figuring out just how dumb they are. They are getting shoo-level mad about that fact.

These people are genuinely dumb and they're mad that everyone else is finally figuring out just how dumb they are.

Yup - Just shocking to see this level of stupidity from the party of the big brains. Shocking, I tell 'ya

They are getting shoo-level mad about that fact.

200.gif

Yup - Just shocking to see this level of stupidity from the party of the big brains. Shocking, I tell 'ya

200.gif

I look at the link you provided, because I had not heard of it. It is entitled, "Stamped (For Kids): Racism, Antiracism, and You." I read the book summary - it's not about critical race theory, it's about racism and how to be anti-racist. Teaching about racism and how to be anti-racist is something I think most support. I'm not sure what the issue is with this book.

These people are genuinely dumb

Not dumb at all, they are backed into a corner and scared. Democrats serve two masters, racist “moderate” white voters, and Black voters. When I was growing up in Sunday school we referred to such people as “denyin’ peters” As much as they love Jesus, they are more scared of the Romans.

I look at the link you provided, because I had not heard of it. It is entitled, "Stamped (For Kids): Racism, Antiracism, and You." I read the book summary - it's not about critical race theory, it's about racism and how to be anti-racist. Teaching about racism and how to be anti-racist is something I think most support. I'm not sure what the issue is with this book.

The children's version of Stamped calls math "a racist weapon" and claims racism was born in western Europe in the 1400's and traveled to colonial America.

"Most" does not include 72m trump voters. They are scared and angry. Sad.

Republican attacks on education, intellectualism, and expertise are all part of their fear-based, grievance, white nationalist style of politics to keep wealth and power at the top and a permanent underclass in line propping them up.

The children's version of Stamped calls math "a racist weapon" and claims racism was born in western Europe in the 1400's and traveled to colonial America.

Have you read the book? I obviously have not. Can you share a passage or several passages from the book regarding math?

There is no compromise between antithetical viewpoints, the only options are to do nothing, or to play both sides until either catches wise

Republican attacks on education, intellectualism, and expertise are all part of their fear-based, grievance, white nationalist style of politics to keep wealth and power at the top and a permanent underclass in line propping them up.

That sounds much better than "Yeah, the market place has passed on our product."

Have you read the book? I obviously have not. Can you share a passage or several passages from the book regarding math?

I did some searching and could not really find anything. The closest I could find was this section from a study guide, "Reynolds demonstrates how racist ideas in the fields of science and mathematics—from eugenics to the creation and purposes of IQ and standardized tests—have been created and used to oppress Black and Brown people. How do we decide what to believe about a scientific claim?" This book appears to teach about racism and anti-racism. If you can find something different, please post it.

That sounds much better than "Yeah, the market place has passed on our product."

Someone dig up Theodore Parker and tell him the arc of justice ended at 2021 Virginia when Glenn Youngkin was elected.

Chapter 7. Page 40: https://diversebooks.org/read-an-excerpt-from-stamped-for-kids-by-jason-reynolds-and-ibram-x-kendi/

With antislavery books and ideas getting more popular, White people who were proslavery got busy spreading even more hate. They’d used literature and storytelling as a racist weapon by the invention of the “enslaver are do-gooders” narrative, and used math as a racist weapon in the past (remember that three-fifths of a person nonsense?), and now they would use science. Or fake science, anyway.

It's in the paragraph just below the discussion on how Uncle Tom's Cabin is filled with "a bunch of racist ideas".

You're welcome.

I did some searching and could not really find anything. The closest I could find was this section from a study guide, "Reynolds demonstrates how racist ideas in the fields of science and mathematics—from eugenics to the creation and purposes of IQ and standardized tests—have been created and used to oppress Black and Brown people. How do we decide what to believe about a scientific claim?" This book appears to teach about racism and anti-racism. If you can find something different, please post it.

It is not al all surprising that this kind of assertion, e.g., "Eugenics was racist", gets reduced to "CRT claims that science is racist" by conservative talking heads and that people like Angus lap it up and regurgitate.

Chapter 7. Page 40: https://diversebooks.org/read-an-excerpt-from-stamped-for-kids-by-jason-reynolds-and-ibram-x-kendi/

It's in the paragraph just below the discussion on how Uncle Tom's Cabin is filled with "a bunch of racist ideas".

You're welcome.

Thanks Colonel. I appreciate you posting that. I just read the passage and don't see anything wrong with it. Do you, and if so, what? Here's the passage:

"White people were writing stories about slavery, too. One fictional narrative, titled Uncle Tom’s Cabin, became one of the most popular books ever. Some of you may even have to read it in school at some point. The author, an abolitionist named Harriet Beecher Stowe, wrote the tale of an enslaved man who befriends a young White girl and holds tight to his Christian faith even as he is mistreated. The book was Stowe’s attempt to use fiction to change White people’s views about slavery. To try to help them understand its horrors. Still, there were a bunch of racist ideas in this story. So even while it inspired many readers to join the abolitionist movement, it also helped to strengthen ideas that Black people couldn’t be as smart or as human as White people.

With antislavery books and ideas getting more popular, White people who were proslavery got busy spreading even more hate. They’d used literature and storytelling as a racist weapon by the invention of the “enslaver are do-gooders” narrative, and used math as a racist weapon in the past (remember that three-fifths of a person nonsense?), and now they would use science. Or fake science, anyway.

Yep, even scientists joined in on the racism and were now working to justify slavery. One scientist claimed that White people had bigger skulls than Black people and therefore more intelligence. A report claimed that free Black people had more mental health challenges than enslaved Black people, and that biracial people had shorter life spans than White people. Of course, none of this was true! But these racist lies were hidden behind “science” and used to support and spread fake ideas about Black people. Anything to justify supremacy and slavery. Anything to stop ideas about freedom."

This book appears to teach about racism and anti-racism.

Exactly. This is what they don't want, because they want children to be taught what they believe -- either racism is good because it helps them (white people), or racism isn't a thing anymore. Again, this isn't CRT, it's just about not being racist or being ant-racist, and teaching all the racist shit that has happened in our country. They do not want that.

Derp derp derp, them here books say math is racist, everyone with a brain looks at the passage, sees it’s talking about how the mathematical concept of fractions was used to make black people less than, in the context of moving towards talking about science used also for justifying racism, derp derp point stands book bad!

Back