• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

Oh man. The libs run the prisons just like they run the schools.

"Is math racist" is now trending on twitter.

Congratulations, dipshits. Take a well-earned bow.

Maybe, just maybe, the dipshit here is who didn't even take a moment to see that it's not the mathematics, but how it's taught that's the issue.

You don't even have to read the article, it's in the last tweet of that thread:

That last tweet doesn't exactly clear things up. I was actually going to read the story, but LOL at paying $4.99 a month for USA Today.

Oh I definitely saw that. Fear not!!!

So you are on board with the idea that black, hispanic, and asian kids need to be taught math differently than white kids???

I broke my non-engagement policy for idiots/trolls already so I'll wrap this up.

I don't know. What I do know is that no one is saying "math is racist" but rather someone is saying "how math is taught is racist". Is it? Again, I don't know but it's worth listening to someone with expertise, like a Stanford math education professor, make their case.

Oh I definitely saw that. Fear not!!!

So you are on board with the idea that black, hispanic, and asian kids need to be taught math differently than white kids???

Are you Republicans *actually* blind to structural iniquities, or do you just have knee jerk dismissive reactions every time you see the word “racist”, without doing any further thinking?

Are you Republicans *actually* blind to structural iniquities, or do you just have knee jerk dismissive reactions every time you see the word “racist”, without doing any further thinking?

Further thinking? I'd settle for some initial thinking.

"System works for me. I don't see what those people are whining about! Bootstraps!"

It always blows my mind that people look at society and see people like them in charge, see people like them disproportionately thriving, and people not like them disproportionately struggling, and think “Wow, those people like me set up and are maintaining a fair system in which anyone can be successful, yet people who aren’t like me want to destroy it.”

I think it's more most white people don't see themselves as thriving. Most everyone is in the 99%, not the 1%.

I think it's more most white people don't see themselves as thriving. Most everyone is in the 99%, not the 1%.

Yet most white people align themselves with politicians in the 1% passing policies to benefit the 1%. They’ve been steadily dismantling the middle class by voting against the broader liberal consensus developed between the Great Depression and Civil Rights Era. Why vote for union busting politicians, for example?

Even if white people don’t see themselves as thriving, they understand white people thrive at a higher rate than other people. How can they attribute that to simply hard work without demeaning their own effort as well?

People are capable of understanding structural inequality. Look at the groundswell of support for Cincy football this season. People understood the CFP was set up to benefit the ruling P5 class particularly the SEC and G5 schools had a much lower chance of breaking through.

Yet most white people align themselves with politicians in the 1% passing policies to benefit the 1%. They’ve been steadily dismantling the middle class by voting against the broader liberal consensus developed between the Great Depression and Civil Rights Era. Why vote for union busting politicians, for example?

Even if white people don’t see themselves as thriving, they understand white people thrive at a higher rate than other people. How can they attribute that to simply hard work without demeaning their own effort as well?

People are capable of understanding structural inequality. Look at the groundswell of support for Cincy football this season. People understood the CFP was set up to benefit the ruling P5 class particularly the SEC and G5 schools had a much lower chance of breaking through.

From where I sit, asians are thriving at the highest rate. here in CA, they are close to 40-50% of the student body in the public colleges (the best public college system in the country) and they're taking over in the professional ranks. Whites are still dominating the C-Suite, but we're probably a generation or two away from asians dominating there as well. And it seems they are doing it from having strong demanding family structures instilling a strong work ethic culturally. Pretty much exactly what the jh's of the boards are advocating every day.

Asian Americans predominate at UC and are significantly overrepresented — making up 40.3% of in-state freshmen last year compared with their 19.9% share among California high school graduates eligible for UC admission. By comparison, Latinos made up 31.5% of UC freshmen and 44.7% of that qualified pool; whites were 20.6% at UC and 27% of eligible students and Black freshmen were 4.5% at UC and 4.2% of those who met systemwide admission standards.

Asian-Americans make up about 5 percent of the population of public high schools in the United States and were 22 percent of those admitted to Harvard's freshman class this year. Asian-Americans make up 26 percent of the undergraduate enrollment at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Of course, those numbers may not reflect the full extent of qualified Asian-American applicants. And there is no consensus on what data would actually demonstrate illegal discrimination.

That’s the model minority myth. There’s plenty to it but here are some basics:

The first round of Asian immigrant were low-wage labor and faced discrimination (see railroads, Yellow Peril, Chinese Exclusion Act, Japanese internment camps).

Current immigration laws prefer immigrants with higher education. “Asians are good at math” because the US disproportionately selects Asians who are good math to come to the country.

Obviously Asians are a huge group. Some groups are disproportionately higher educated like Chinese, Japanese, and Indian but other groups like Hmong, Laotian, and Vietnamese are not.

Shitty white people use this model minority myth to denigrate people of other races and also shut down Asians who advocate for anti-racism.

Here’s a good clip that helps explain it:

https://youtu.be/Pg1X1KkVxN4

The first round of Asian immigrant were low-wage labor and faced discrimination (see railroads, Yellow Peril, Chinese Exclusion Act, Japanese internment camps).

Current immigration laws prefer immigrants with higher education. “Asians are good at math” because the US disproportionately selects Asians who are good math to come to the country.

Obviously Asians are a huge group. Some groups are disproportionately higher educated like Chinese, Japanese, and Indian but other groups like Hmong, Laotian, and Vietnamese are not.

Shitty white people use this model minority myth to denigrate people of other races and also shut down Asians who advocate for anti-racism.

Yes, it's easy to see why asians are more likely to be successful coming over or immigrating only if you have a masters degree versus how blacks originally immigrated (and yes you can't loop all asians in the same bucket), but they're literally lapping white folks professionally at a rapid pace in CA. Making up 25% of Harvard and MIT, and 40% of Berkeley, UCLA, and having higher overall incomes than whites etc. are significant numbers that aren't a "myth". White people aren't willing to give up less money and access to the top universities to continue to trample on other minorities.

White people are lazy and increasingly becoming anti-intellectual. I worked for a Japanese guy for 5 years who hadn't taken a single day off in 20 years, it was nuts. That video was largely talking about discrimination from the 1880's and 1960's. Colleges are also feeding the beast with that sweet international tuition dollars. Although if the trend continues it wouldn't shock me to see more racism towards asians in the future if they continue to outperform white folk. Already the seeds started from the Coronavirus origin.

But math is racist!!!…or so I’ve heard.

I don't know. What I do know is that no one is saying "math is racist" but rather someone is saying "how math is taught is racist". Is it? Again, I don't know but it's worth listening to someone with expertise, like a Stanford math education professor, make their case.

Let's presume the Stanford professor is correct and "how math is taught is racist". OK - what's the solution from the titans of intelligence (like yourself) on the Tunnels?

All math teachers have to be certified with a high enough woke score to teach math?

Separate but equal math classes where students are placed solely by the color of their skin or background?

No longer teaching math?

Back