• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

would be curious to hear how Lindsey arrived at the conclusion (from the beginning of the clip) that CRT necessarily forecloses on one's agency, that's a really strange leap

How does reducing individuals to "Whiteness" or "Blackness" and claiming "all white people are racist" enhance one's agency?

No one on this thread is arguing that we shouldn't teach the history of slavery in this country or otherwise whitewash history. The prohibitions in these so-called anti-CRT laws are very narrow. Again, from the OK law:

No teacher, administrator or other employee of a school district, charter school or virtual charter school shall require or make part of a course the following concepts:

a. one race or sex is inherently superior to another race or sex,

b. an individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously,

c. an individual should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment solely or partly because of his or her race or sex,

d. members of one race or sex cannot and should not attempt to treat others without respect to race or sex,

e. an individual’s moral character is necessarily determined by his or her race or sex,

f. an individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, bears responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex,

g. any individual should feel discomfort, guilt, anguish or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race or sex, or

h. meritocracy or traits such as a hard work ethic are racist or sexist or were created by members of a particular race to oppress members of another race.

This is what we are arguing over. Address the problems you see in these prohibitions--if you have any--and don't make up allegations like I don't want slavery to be taught.

How does reducing individuals to "Whiteness" or "Blackness" and claiming "all white people are racist" enhance one's agency?

the critical race theory texts I've read don't (1) reduce individuals to whiteness/Blackness or (2) advance reductive arguments like "all white people are racist"

i don't even think many who work within the afropessimist framework (arguably a part of CRT?) would argue that Black people have no agency, just their fundamental abjection has always structured/continues to structure whiteness

there are even separate schools of thought within that framework though - maybe some that argue Black social death forecloses on agency

No one on this thread is arguing that we shouldn't teach the history of slavery in this country or otherwise whitewash history. The prohibitions in these so-called anti-CRT laws are very narrow. Again, from the OK law:

This is what we are arguing over. Address the problems you see in these prohibitions--if you have any--and don't make up allegations like I don't want slavery to be taught.

Yet they’ll be applied broadly because even if the law isn’t violated, conservatives will claim that a teacher told them to be guilty for being white.

That clip is exactly what conservatives want. Reasonable thinking people see a dumbass trying to step to someone who knows what he’s talking about. Their base sees one of their own being talked down to by an intelligent Black man which will trigger them even more.

and those are the pessimists of CRT!

safiya noble isn't out here saying that because Google fills in your search recommendations differently for "why do white people..." and "why do Black people..." is a form of algorithmic oppression that (1) individuals are reducible to their whiteness/Blackness or (2) "all white people are racist"

Yet they’ll be applied broadly because even if the law isn’t violated, conservatives will claim that a teacher told them to be guilty for being white.

That clip is exactly what conservatives want. Reasonable thinking people see a dumbass trying to step to someone who knows what he’s talking about. Their base sees one of their own being talked down to by an intelligent Black man which will trigger them even more.

yep, funny for smarmy libs to zoom on the guy/tweet about it but is actually a sneaky L

when sara ahmed writes that "diversity" (specifically as practiced by higher education) is really a screen for racist hiring practices and department politics, she's not forclosing on one's agency either - just critiquing the term/practice. pretty sure she offers correctives at the end of the book.

the critical race theory texts I've read don't (1) reduce individuals to whiteness/Blackness or (2) advance reductive arguments like "all white people are racist"

Hmmmmm - Just a few examples:

“Whiteness is an invisible veil that cloaks its racist deleterious effects through individuals, organizations, and society. The result is that White people are allowed to enjoy the benefits that accrue to them by virtue of their skin color. Thus, Whiteness, White supremacy, and White privilege are three interlocking forces that disguise racism so it may allow White people to oppress and harm persons of color while maintaining their individual and collective advantage and innocence.

- Derald Sue, “The Invisible Whiteness of Being.”

“All white people are racist or complicit by virtue of benefiting from privileges that are not something they can voluntarily renounce.”

- Barbara Applebaum, "Being White, Being Good."

“White identity is inherently racist; white people do not exist outside the system of white supremacy.”

- Robin DiAngelo, "White Fragility"

“All whites are racist … because we benefit from systemic white privilege. Generally whites think of racism as voluntary, intentional conduct done by horrible others. Whites spend a lot of time trying to convince ourselves and each other that we are not racist. A big step would be for whites to admit that we are racist and then to consider what to do about it.”

- Wildman and Davis, "Readings for Diversity and Social Justice."

brad if you're copy/pasting that list from somewhere keep in mind you're also just copy/pasting their outrage - I'm honestly trying to engage with the thread based on what I've read re: CRT - hence my invocation/explanation of texts I've read.

with the exception of DiAngelo's book, I don't recognize any of those authors and haven't read their work. I haven't read "White Fragility" either but not sure if we need to rehash criticism of it, which I understand isn't reserved for those anti-CRT

a lot of people write about race and some of them even write about it poorly or hold viewpoints that differ from what others believe

So, then, you don't have any problems with the prohibitions in the law themselves?

You are trying to restrict the conversation to just the OK law...but these laws are being passed, all of a sudden, all over the country, by people who have no idea what they are talking about (See Alabama legislator in the thread above)

Anyway, on that list, I have a problem with g. and h.

g. anyone can claim they feel discomfort or guilt with any subject and get it banned from school. "Organic chemistry makes me feel ashamed of my lack of melanin, an organic compound, we need to ban organic chemistry!"

h. is banning a a potentially valid perspective that gives students the chance to think introspectively about the culture in which they live and how it came about. There is no reason to ban a critical evaluation of the concept of meritocracy or to float the possibility that it has racist origins and facilitate students exploring the concept and deciding on their own.

Also, something seems to be missing from d...or maybe it is too many double negatives for me to follow.

Everything else on that list seems fine at face value and is probably already covered by federal anti-discrimination law.

I think most of them are purposefully misleading and cynical takes on actual scholarship that allow the law to be much more broad than it seems. For example:

h. meritocracy or traits such as a hard work ethic are racist or sexist or were created by members of a particular race to oppress members of another race.

On the surface, this says you can't say hard work is racist or sexist. In practice, this makes it illegal to critique the Protestant work ethic or how societal definitions of "hard work" are racialized and gendered.

There is no reason to ban a critical evaluation of the concept of meritocracy or to float the possibility that it has racist origins and facilitate students exploring the concept and deciding on their own.

LOL

On the surface, this says you can't say hard work is racist or sexist. In practice, this makes it illegal to critique the Protestant work ethic or how societal definitions of "hard work" are racialized and gendered.

Double LOL

Back