• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

My 2nd grader came home the other day talking about jury nullification. scary stuff.

Hannah-Jones turned down UNC and is going to Howard instead. Good for her.

Hung out with some friends who work at UNC this weekend. Even internally, they’re feeling how this nonsense was a major blow to UNC’s reputation and it could seriously impact their ability to recruit top talent, including students, staff, and faculty.

White supremacy is so predictable. When challenged, it has no other move than to do the same shit it’s been doing. The response to being called out for police brutality was more police brutality. Point out structural barriers to Black progress and UNC puts of structural barriers to a Black scholar’s progress.

UNC-CH could increase its student talent pool tomorrow by increasing admissions from Wake and Mecklenburg Counties.

I was speaking with a teacher here in Texas over the weekend, and was told that they can't use the word empathy in the classroom because it relates to CRT. Such stupid shit.

I was speaking with a teacher here in Texas over the weekend, and was told that they can't use the word empathy in the classroom because it relates to CRT. Such stupid shit.

Sure, but what we really need to know is what exactly is wrong with the Oklahoma law?!?!?!

Hung out with some friends who work at UNC this weekend. Even internally, they’re feeling how this nonsense was a major blow to UNC’s reputation and it could seriously impact their ability to recruit top talent, including students, staff, and faculty.

i very much doubt this

i very much doubt this

Yeah. I’m not against being friends with Tarholes. They haven’t been at UNC very long though.

But seriously, this is on the heels (no pun intended) of the Silent Sam debacle. The student body president letter was scathing. UNC needs to right the ship.

Last edited:
White supremacy is so predictable. When challenged, it has no other move than to do the same shit it’s been doing. The response to being called out for police brutality was more police brutality. Point out structural barriers to Black progress and UNC puts of structural barriers to a Black scholar’s progress.

I would expect any institution to have reservations about granting tenure to someone who--regardless of their race--claimed that a primary reason for the American revolution was the concern that England would abolish slavery in the colonies, that 1619 was the year of the true founding of the United States, that Lincoln was opposed to Black equality, or that Blacks for the most part stood "alone" during Reconstruction, Jim Crow, and the lead-up to the civil rights movement in the 1960s.

"No effort to educate the public in order to advance social justice can afford to dispense with a respect for basic facts."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/01/1619-project-new-york-times-wilentz/605152/

well, at least she wasn't offered tenure by the history department, they've had some oops in recent times

journalism is a shitshow right now, so who cares about them

I would expect any institution to have reservations about granting tenure to someone who--regardless of their race--claimed that a primary reason for the American revolution was the concern that England would abolish slavery in the colonies, that 1619 was the year of the true founding of the United States, that Lincoln was opposed to Black equality, or that Blacks for the most part stood "alone" during Reconstruction, Jim Crow, and the lead-up to the civil rights movement in the 1960s.

"No effort to educate the public in order to advance social justice can afford to dispense with a respect for basic facts."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/01/1619-project-new-york-times-wilentz/605152/

Tenure is not supposed to be about what you believe, but is supposed to be based on your academic publication record (e.g. quality of outlets, number of citations, etc.), your grants and funding contracts, and teaching effort/teacher evaluations. If those ideas are unpublishable and unfundable then she'd be denied tenure.

Tenure is not supposed to be about what you believe, but is supposed to be based on your academic publication record (e.g. quality of outlets, number of citations, etc.), your grants and funding contracts, and teaching effort/teacher evaluations. If those ideas are unpublishable and unfundable then she'd be denied tenure.

conservatives get angry when organizations actually use a market-based approach

It is objectively false, for example, that a primary reason for the American revolution was to protect the institution of slavery. That's not a "belief." That's a misstatement of fact. She was wrong, and she doubled down on it. It shouldn't matter how many clicks she got. That's just shoddy work unbecoming of an institution of higher learning.

Junebug really has a problem with the truth. Jones didn’t come up with that out of thin air. She used contemporary source materials. None of that is new information to anybody who actually cares about real history.

Honest question, Junebug. Do you equate being against slavery with for Black equality?

It is objectively false, for example, that a primary reason for the American revolution was to protect the institution of slavery. That's not a "belief." That's a misstatement of fact. She was wrong, and she doubled down on it. It shouldn't matter how many clicks she got. That's just shoddy work unbecoming of an institution of higher learning.

i mean we are talking about UNC here

Junebug really has a problem with the truth. Jones didn’t come up with that out of thin air. She used contemporary source materials. None of that is new information to anybody who actually cares about real history.

Honest question, Junebug. Do you equate being against slavery with for Black equality?

we're supposed to believe the South fought not for slavery, but States Rights [to own slaves] but somehow it's totally impossible to consider that the motivation for portions of the colonies might be to separate from England to maintain their State's Rights [to own slaves]

Back