• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

It's not going to confuse historians at all. They'll jot it down as the rise of the fascist Trump dictatorship. Democrats will have zero chance in any state with a current Republican majority in state government. Super gerrymander districts will ensure Republican control of state houses and the US House. Republican legislatures will claim fraud if a Democrat wins a US Senate seat or the presidential election and declare the Republican candidate the winner. Mass arrests of teachers for teaching "CRT." It's going to be a blast.

I imagine it would be even worse to be a DINK if there wasn't some public institution keeping children occupied most of the day.

Today on the Tunnels I learned that over 74 million american citizens are white supremacists.

Well, you should pay more attention. You are going to be in for a real surprise if you ever read about how this came to be America and how we have treated some peoples over the years.

If the biggest School Choice evangelist on these here boards can't (or refuses) to answer some very basic questions about this seemingly amazing policy, seems like I need to do what's in the best interest of my son and not live somewhere that has School Choice

If the biggest School Choice evangelist on these here boards can't (or refuses) to answer some very basic questions about this seemingly amazing policy, seems like I need to do what's in the best interest of my son and not live somewhere that has School Choice

Which, itself, is a school choice, albeit it an ill-advised one. People like you (and to be very, very clear, Ph, Strick and nearly every poster on this board) already have and use school choice. Privileged students have had school choice for hundreds of years. The goal of this policy is to give it to everybody.

Why don’t Texas Republicans want children to learn about why the KKK was morally wrong?

jhmd and Junebug, any thoughts?

It is worth pointing out that the new TX bill does not purport to ban teaching that the KKK was morally wrong, nor does it purport to ban teaching about the other topics in the tweet. It is just saying that those topics are not legally required for K-12 instruction. The Board can still develop curriculum for these topics if they choose, and there is nothing about the law that prohibits individual districts, schools, or teachers from teaching these topics if they choose.

That said, legislative requirements for education are not meaningless and, for that reason, I prefer the prior Texas anti-CRT law--the one that was enacted earlier this year--which stated, in relevant part:

In adopting the essential knowledge and skills for the social studies curriculum, the State Board of Education shall adopt essential knowledge and skills that develop each student’s civic knowledge, including an understanding of:
(1)the fundamental moral, political, and intellectual foundations of the American experiment in self-government;
(2)the history, qualities, traditions, and features of civic engagement in the UnitedStates;
(3)the history of Native Americans;
(4)the structure, function, and processes of government institutions at the federal, state, and local levels; including:
(5)the founding documents of the United States,
(A)the Declaration of Independence;
(B)the United States Constitution;
(C)the Federalist Papers;
(D)the transcript of the first Lincoln-Douglas
(E)the writings of and about the founding fathers and mothers and other founding persons of the United States, including the writings of:
(i)George Washington;
(ii)Ona Judge;
(iii)Thomas Jefferson;
(iv)Sally Hemings; and
(v)any other founding persons of the UnitedStates;
(F)writings from Frederick Douglass’s newspaper, the North Star;
(G)the Book of Negroes;
(H)the Fugitive Slave Acts of 1793 and 1850;
(I)the Indian Removal Act;
(J)Thomas Jefferson ’s letter to the Danbury Baptists; and
(K)William Still ’s Underground Railroad Records;
(6)historical documents related to the civic accomplishments of marginalized populations, including documents related to:
(A)the Chicano movement;
(B)women’s suffrage and equal rights;
(C)the civil rights movement;
(D)the Snyder Act of 1924; and
(E)the American labor movement;
(7) the history of white supremacy, including but not limited to the institution of slavery, the eugenics movement, and the Ku Klux Klan, and the ways in which it is morally wrong;
(8)the history and importance of the civil rights movement, including the following documents:
(A)Martin Luther King Jr.’s "Letter from a BirminghamJail"and"I Have a Dream"speech;
(B)the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. Section 2000a et seq.);
(C)the United States Supreme Court’s decision in Brown v. Board of Education;
(D)the Emancipation Proclamation;
(E)the Universal Declaration of Human Rights;
(F)the Thirteenth, Fourteenth, and Fifteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution;
(G)the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit decision in Mendez v. Westminster;
(H)Frederick Douglass’s Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave;
(I)the life and work of Cesar Chavez; and
(J)the life and work of Dolores Huerta;
(9)the history and importance of the women’s suffrage movement, including the following documents:
(A)the federal Voting Rights Act of 1965 (52 U.S.C. Section 10101 et seq.);
(B)the Fifteenth, Nineteenth, and Twenty-Sixth Amendments to the United States Constitution;
(C)Abigail Adams ’s letter "Remember the Ladies"
(D)the works of Susan B. Anthony; and
(E)the Declaration of Sentiments;
(10)the life and works of Dr. Hector P. Garcia;
(11)the American GI Forum;
(12)the League of United Latin American Citizens; and
(13)Hernandez v. Texas (1954).

I don't have my finger on the pulse of TX politics, so I can't say why the same TX senate that enacted the above law is now voting in favor of narrowing the list of required topics. All I can say is that I don't agree with it and that that is perfectly consistent with being anti-CRT.

Ok, so no answers then.

I know that you're intentionally being dense which is as expected. If a school fails in its mission (and it's okay to say that when it is true), shouldn't there be some consequences? How better to gauge performance than by the votes of the end-users (a/k/a the way we do it in every other meaningful activity). Why is this the one activity where the consumers don't get any say?

“As expected” sounds pretty close to RJ level victimhood. Which is what he’d deploy when his grandiose posts got even the most basic follow up points.

He ducks questions with the best of them but based on that last answer, he may not even understand the question.

The question is not whether you (ph) are in favor of school choice; of course you are. The question is why do you oppose it for everyone else?

I’m not in favor of school choice. I’m in favor of supporting all neighborhood schools. Hell I’m in favor of supporting all neighborhoods.

The ideal of making sure all children have a good education is so unfamiliar to you. You can’t even comprehend it.

I know that you're intentionally being dense which is as expected. If a school fails in its mission (and it's okay to say that when it is true), shouldn't there be some consequences? How better to gauge performance than by the votes of the end-users (a/k/a the way we do it in every other meaningful activity). Why is this the one activity where the consumers don't get any say?

Because "consequences" have the capability to deprive millions of future children of any education whatsoever. And allowing the free market and "choice" to determine who succeeds and fails-as opposed to funding an excellent education for everyone ahead of time-will screw over millions of children in the process.

Back