• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

Every kid would benefit from smaller class sizes and more individualized teacher attention. Why should we give that only to a few? Especially when referrals to those programs have shown racial bias?

It’s a microcosm of capitalist society - rather than using our resources to pull up the least privileged, we instead use our resources to reward the most privileged and further expand inequality. It’s a business model where students and citizens are only valued based upon what they provide for society at any given moment. A business wouldn’t waste its resources on its least performing employees, it would just fire them and hire new ones. Well, we can’t fire students, but we can surely neglect them, put them in remedial classes to artificially inflate their grades.

This is a strange take. You don't think anyone should benefit from AA because you and your family are privileged?

Thanks for asking, but that's not what I said. I strongly support affirmative action as one of many considerations to college admissions, but I think it should be based on socioeconomic background rather than race.

Jesus. Ph, I feel bad and want to apologize to you on behalf of this place. What a tremendously shitty thing for that guy to say.

I think it is good for someone like me to witness it though, because I've never and probably will never experience anything like that, mean while it's happened more than once for Ph on these boards (taking it to you kid's future seems worse). That is a microcosm example of why we need more serous teaching about America's racial past and present than we do, not less.

Amen.

I've had my share of arguments with Ph, but to stay civil and continue trying to discuss these topics with that center dude despite his slow boil to absolute moral bankruptcy was pretty impressive. Well done, good work LK, incredible how much anger these phantom problems can gin up in these guys.

Center is a strange dude - usually only posts late at night and many of his posts are just angry rants. It does sometime seem like he's arguing with himself as much as anyone else. And that was a shitty thing to say to Ph, who does seem to set him off just by responding to him. At least he'll have some extra drinking time at night for the next month or so. And if he's a centrist, so is Tucker Carlson or Bill O'Reilly.

I've had my share of arguments with Ph, but to stay civil and continue trying to discuss these topics with that center dude despite his slow boil to absolute moral bankruptcy was pretty impressive. Well done, good work LK, incredible how much anger these phantom problems can gin up in these guys.

I'm pretty convinced center is a sick individual.

pun intended?

All I know is that pretty much everyone on my school board is a fucking moron, all the administrators in my system have accomplished absolutely nothing in the past 25 years since I've lived here, and half the teachers in our classrooms couldn't teach a Golden Retriever to shake hands.

Oh, and they've got a new gerrymandered map for the school board districts too.

Everybody with a kid in the system had a foot out the door before Covid hit and a lot of them left and will never return.

yeah, as with most municipal level government it seems like it's consistently busybody morons running everything.

hard to believe anything gets done

So now they're just fully embracing safe spaces, trigger warnings, and cancel culture. Oh, and also book burning. Hard to keep up with these snowflakes.

Good post from white guy from a forum I’m in:

—————-
So I've read, listened, learned (all at the expertise of Black people) and thought a ton about Racism over the past several years and here is my take on the Critical Race Theory panic.

It's White Fragility, plain and simple.

White (and other non-Black) people are extremely afraid of being called out or admitting that they are racist.

All of the current freakout is coming from PARENTS not the students (except for some douchey, racist students who also are contributing). Most kids don't have a problem understanding fairness, respect and dignity and are totally cool with treating their peers from marginalized groups well. Just look at how kids treat LGBTQ peers compared to when we were kids. We've come a long way.

The problem is that many parents don't want their kids getting TOO tolerant because then inevitably the kids will 1.) question or abandon their tribe (Whiteness, Xtian Conservatism, The GOP) and 2.) start noticing and calling out their parents isms/phobias.

A child that gets too, for lack of a better term "woke" will end up looking at their parents and family differently. They will start questioning their parents' behavior now and in the past. They will start having to admit that maybe Grandpa did so well running his own business because he was able to get a loan that was unavailable to Black People at the time. They will have to admit that maybe Dad got into college, in part because he didn't have to compete with all the women who weren't even allowed to apply.

Kids will have to start admitting that these barriers that privileged their family were very real, and most likely their family voted for politicians who specifically promised to maintain those policies of segregation. Kids will have to start asking difficult questions like: so Dad, where were YOU during the March on Washington? Did you support MLK at the time? Where was Great-Grandpa when lynchings were taking place in our city? Etc.

This is one of the reasons we created and promoted Lost Cause mythology to allow or ancestors who chose to commit treason in defense of Slavery to still be heroes fighting for some better purpose. That's why parents object to their kids going to Liberal Colleges or even diverse public schools. They are afraid they will learn the truth about our history and start connecting some uncomfortable dots.

Likewise, parents are probably petrified of having their kid tell them: Hey, what you just said is racist/homophobic/Transphobic etc.

In short, White Parents (not all but most) want to be able to continue being casually __ist/__phobic and supporting bigots without losing any face with their kids or risking their kids deciding to become Democrats and aligning with THOSE people. It's all about white feelings of vanity and tribalism.

As Heather McGhee's "The Sum of Us: How Racism Hurts Everyone & How We Can All Prosper Together" notes, keeping White voters from joining forces with Black/Brown ones, is one of the most quintessential tactics for protecting White Supremacy (and Patriarchy too) going all the way back to Slavery, and has been the go-to play forever.

How do we best fight the bullshit CRT Panic that appeals to so many White voters? Beats me. But it's always good to understand what we are fighting.
——————

Good post from white guy from a forum I’m in:

—————-
So I've read, listened, learned (all at the expertise of Black people) and thought a ton about Racism over the past several years and here is my take on the Critical Race Theory panic.

It's White Fragility, plain and simple.

White (and other non-Black) people are extremely afraid of being called out or admitting that they are racist.

All of the current freakout is coming from PARENTS not the students (except for some douchey, racist students who also are contributing). Most kids don't have a problem understanding fairness, respect and dignity and are totally cool with treating their peers from marginalized groups well. Just look at how kids treat LGBTQ peers compared to when we were kids. We've come a long way.

The problem is that many parents don't want their kids getting TOO tolerant because then inevitably the kids will 1.) question or abandon their tribe (Whiteness, Xtian Conservatism, The GOP) and 2.) start noticing and calling out their parents isms/phobias.

A child that gets too, for lack of a better term "woke" will end up looking at their parents and family differently. They will start questioning their parents' behavior now and in the past. They will start having to admit that maybe Grandpa did so well running his own business because he was able to get a loan that was unavailable to Black People at the time. They will have to admit that maybe Dad got into college, in part because he didn't have to compete with all the women who weren't even allowed to apply.

Kids will have to start admitting that these barriers that privileged their family were very real, and most likely their family voted for politicians who specifically promised to maintain those policies of segregation. Kids will have to start asking difficult questions like: so Dad, where were YOU during the March on Washington? Did you support MLK at the time? Where was Great-Grandpa when lynchings were taking place in our city? Etc.

This is one of the reasons we created and promoted Lost Cause mythology to allow or ancestors who chose to commit treason in defense of Slavery to still be heroes fighting for some better purpose. That's why parents object to their kids going to Liberal Colleges or even diverse public schools. They are afraid they will learn the truth about our history and start connecting some uncomfortable dots.

Likewise, parents are probably petrified of having their kid tell them: Hey, what you just said is racist/homophobic/Transphobic etc.

In short, White Parents (not all but most) want to be able to continue being casually __ist/__phobic and supporting bigots without losing any face with their kids or risking their kids deciding to become Democrats and aligning with THOSE people. It's all about white feelings of vanity and tribalism.

As Heather McGhee's "The Sum of Us: How Racism Hurts Everyone & How We Can All Prosper Together" notes, keeping White voters from joining forces with Black/Brown ones, is one of the most quintessential tactics for protecting White Supremacy (and Patriarchy too) going all the way back to Slavery, and has been the go-to play forever.

How do we best fight the bullshit CRT Panic that appeals to so many White voters? Beats me. But it's always good to understand what we are fighting.
——————

A good deal of all this reminds me of the time the TX GOP in 2012 (long before CRT) issued a statement opposing the teaching of "Critical Thinking Skills" in schools because it might lead kids to question their parent's beliefs (the exact wording was that teaching Critical Thinking Skills had the purpose of "challenging the student's fixed beliefs" and would "undermine parental authority.") At the time they received a good deal of national ridicule, but it was clearly a preview of what's happening nationally now. BTW, the TX GOP platform in 2012 also opposed "sex education" and "multicultural education" but did promote "school subjects with emphasis on the Judeo-Christian principles upon which America was founded.” This anti-CRT crusade is basically the same damn thing, it's just that the GOP has finally found a way (nearly a decade later) to package it to sell to their base and win over some suburbanite parents.

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/texas-gop-rejects-critical-thinking-skills-really/2012/07/08/gJQAHNpFXW_blog.html

Back