• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Baseball & Other Slow Moving Sports

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
Again tonight another 3 hour plus broadcast. I love baseball but this is beyond manageable. Way too long and Umps have got to be replaced by robots (players are dying for this as am I).

Fox and MLB are betting big on older people continuing to watch. I don't see that happening as I am 54 and I am bored by all the shifts and constant pitcher changes.

This game is nuts. Puig ties it at 2 in the bottom of the 13th!

It is remarkable that the Dodgers are still in this given that the whole team is in a slump.

This thread was started over 3 hours ago, complaining how long the game at the time was going. It's still going.

giggle

One game.

7 hours, 20 minutes.

It is remarkable that the Dodgers are still in this given that the whole team is in a slump.

They aren't in a slump, their idiot analytics overkill manager doesn't play their best players. Hey, Max Muncy hit the game winning HR ... maybe he and Bellinger should have started the first two games and actually played to get into a rhythm? Naaaaah, gotta go with those L-R matchups no matter what. Thanks, analytics. Modern baseball is not the game that millennials want, but the game they deserve.

Just heard on SC that the entire 1939 World Series took 7 hours and 5 minutes.

They aren't in a slump, their idiot analytics overkill manager doesn't play their best players. Hey, Max Muncy hit the game winning HR ... maybe he and Bellinger should have started the first two games and actually played to get into a rhythm? Naaaaah, gotta go with those L-R matchups no matter what. Thanks, analytics. Modern baseball is not the game that millennials want, but the game they deserve.

Well Said Leyritz

Um, you know that it went 18 innings, right? That’s basically two games.

that's part of the point - a sport already trying to speed things up in light of waning popularity needs to find a way to avoid having games go on indefinitely. there's something endearing about a sport without a clock, but it'll mean the death/serious decline of baseball if they don't change it.

I know there are a lot fewer games, but people realize that even football is slow moving right? There are like 5 minutes of actual gameplay in a 4 hour period.

that's part of the point - a sport already trying to speed things up in light of waning popularity needs to find a way to avoid having games go on indefinitely. there's something endearing about a sport without a clock, but it'll mean the death/serious decline of baseball if they don't change it.

The speed up baseball movement has somewhat been created strangely by those in power. All of their solutions are also terrible. The intentional walk thing is silly. It saves like 30 seconds total over a whole season. The minor league runner on second doesn’t do anything either. It just means a better chance to score for both teams which also prolongs the game.

Football- hold each others hands in a huddle, play for 4-6 seconds, wait another 40 seconds, play another 4-6 seconds.

Um, you know that it went 18 innings, right? That’s basically two games.
Ugh yeah, I watched every pitch. Did you?

The huffing and puffing for 30+ seconds between every pitch is the biggest issue to me. And guys always looking for the long ball rather than piecing together a few base hits can lead to some long scoring droughts.

Nathan Eovaldi is an absolute god. I love that man.

I know there are a lot fewer games, but people realize that even football is slow moving right? There are like 5 minutes of actual gameplay in a 4 hour period.

most football games are boring as well

What do you suggest? If the teams are still tied after say, thirteen innings, just call it a tie?

Back