• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Baseball & Other Slow Moving Sports

that's part of the point - a sport already trying to speed things up in light of waning popularity needs to find a way to avoid having games go on indefinitely. there's something endearing about a sport without a clock, but it'll mean the death/serious decline of baseball if they don't change it.

Not sure how you would do it, but tennis ended the super long set play situation with a tie-breaker action. Hockey too, with the 3 on 3, 5 minute period, and then a shoot-out. Might be harder for a good baseball solution, even to keep it for playoff games.

What do you suggest? If the teams are still tied after say, thirteen innings, just call it a tie?

At least baseball plays the game out unlike soccer/kickball who uses PKs, even in the World Cup Final. That's like an NCAA bball championship game being decided by a FT shooting contest.

What do you suggest? If the teams are still tied after say, thirteen innings, just call it a tie?

Not sure how you would do it, but tennis ended the super long set play situation with a tie-breaker action. Hockey too, with the 3 on 3, 5 minute period, and then a shoot-out. Might be harder for a good baseball solution, even to keep it for playoff games.

I can't say that I've spent a whole lot of time thinking about solutions - more that I recognize it as problem that baseball hasn't done a good job of addressing, yet.

Ending in a tie after a handful of extra innings wouldn't be the worst thing for regular season games. Obviously that wouldn't apply to the post-season, but I don't think people complain too much about playoff games lasting too long, irrespective of sport.

Off the top of my head, I would want to explore decreasing the roster size and/or limiting the number of pitching changes. Also, and I'm just spit-balling here, what about altering the number of outs required per half-inning once in extras?

That was such a maddening fucking game. Betts and Boegarts did goddamn nothing. Porcello got pulled wayyy too early-- I'm all for the quicker hooks we've been seeing this postseason, but he was rolling, wasn't even in a jam, and was under 80 pitches. Hate to say it given the stellar year he's had, but Cora got sort of exposed last night. Being weirdly resistant to getting AB in the lineup (outside of a PH appearance, when half the fucking team is hobbling on one leg?), then pulled JD in like the 5th, then sticking with Moreland over Pearce, and somehow winding up with both Vazquez *and* Leon in the lineup, not to mention goddamn fucking Kinsler.

So many things could've gone differently there-- even if you have to take Porcello out when Cora did, Holt had just hit at that point. Why would your first pinch hitter of the night be a guy in *Blake fucking Swihart* who has had one plate appearance in the past month? Why wouldn't you double switch to get Benintendi in for Holt? Shit, that would solve both Kinsler problems they ended up with in extras. And then the double switch they *did* do was Leon in for Moreland, because they had already burned Pearce on a pinch hit spot.

They wound up in a shit position in extras because their lineup weirdly deemphasized all of their even average hitters, and the ones that remained did nothing, anyway.

The Sox win that game if AB starts the game in left (I know this means JD out of the lineup, but Cora didn't seem to think that was particularly crucial, anyway), or if JBJ doesn't get caught in that rundown his first time on, or if Kinsler isn't our 2nd baseman in extras, or if Devers is the one making the play on that foul ball instead of Nunez, or if Porcello goes another inning or two to take some pressure off the bullpen, or if Betts or Boegarts just get a single fucking hit at like 5 different points, or if we have a single hitter of import in our lineup at any point in the last three innings

more than anything I'm just real pissed I watched 7 and a half continuous hours of the Sox shitting on their own dicks.

it was a good game, though

Yep, Benny getting 1 AB and JD getting pulled in like the 9th or whatever was just inexcusable. Your other 2 best hitters (Mookie, Bogey) have been complete choke artists. Cora had a bad night. I'm a bit terrified of tonight. Seems like it's gonna be E-Rod to start. What if he's shaky? Do we get Drew freaking Pomeranz or does Sale come in? We exhausted basically everybody last night.

Fucking Kinsler, man. And dammit Nunez with the histrionics into the stands.

Fuck.

also, I hate to complain about balls and strikes, but come the fuck on, guys

ahyLWj6.png

what in the hell is that zone? the amount of gift pitches the Dodgers got (green triangles in the zone, red squares outside it) was insane... was watching with a friend who's a Tigers fan, and he spent most of game laughing at my expense for it. I don't get it.

Yep, Benny getting 1 AB and JD getting pulled in like the 9th or whatever was just inexcusable. Your other 2 best hitters (Mookie, Bogey) have been complete choke artists. Cora had a bad night. I'm a bit terrified of tonight. Seems like it's gonna be E-Rod to start. What if he's shaky? Do we get Drew freaking Pomeranz or does Sale come in? We exhausted basically everybody last night.

Fucking Kinsler, man. And dammit Nunez with the histrionics into the stands.

Fuck.

I'm cool with E-Rod starting if it means Roberts does something stupid with his lineup again. Would really prefer to not burn Sale tonight.

Extra innings isn’t the problem with baseball.

The worst thing baseball could do is institute something cheesy to shorten extra inning games like a home run derby or making teams only play 2 outfielders in extras or something. In fact I think I like the way baseball does OT more than most other sports. Both teams get the same number of chance, if a team scores in the top of an inning the other team still gets to bat in the bottom of the inning.

here is a list of some things

fuck manny machado
fuck ian kinsler
fuck ted barrett
fuck john smoltz
fuck tim allen
actually fuck last man standing
and also fuck that one halloween 9-1-1 ad where the ghost dials 9-1-1
fuck fox in general, I guess
fuck betts and boegarts and jd all simultaneously forgetting how to hit
fuck everyone in the red sox bullpen except for joe kelly, who in the last month has become an untouchable demigod
sort of fuck max muncy, but without any real passion tbh, because in a way he did everyone involved a favor
fuck joc pederson's stupid looking face
fuck that ty sheridan looking motherfucker walker buehler
fuck the stupid fragile ankles of jd martinez, eduardo nunez, xander boegarts, and ian kinsler (but also, as previously established, fuck ian kinsler in general)
fuck that one cody bellinger throw that was stupid far off the mark but still worked to get an out, because, again, fuck ian kinsler
but really just fuck manny machado

Last edited:
I know there are a lot fewer games, but people realize that even football is slow moving right? There are like 5 minutes of actual gameplay in a 4 hour period.

In that 5 minutes of gameplay there are 22 people doing someone on every play. There is plenty to dissect and discuss between plays.

here is a list of some things

fuck manny machado
fuck ian kinsler
fuck ted barrett
fuck john smoltz
fuck tim allen
actually fuck last man standing
and also fuck that one halloween 9-1-1 ad where the ghost dials 9-1-1
fuck fox in general, I guess
fuck betts and boegarts and jd all simultaneously forgetting how to hit
fuck everyone in the red sox bullpen except for joe kelly, who in the last month has become an untouchable demigod
sort of fuck max muncy, but without any real passion tbh, because in a way he did everyone involved a favor
fuck joc pederson's stupid looking face
fuck that ty sheridan looking motherfucker walker buehler
fuck the stupid fragile ankles of jd martinez, eduardo nunez, xander boegarts, and ian kinsler (but also, as previously established, fuck ian kinsler in general)
fuck that one cody bellinger throw that was stupid far off the mark but still worked to get an out, because, again, fuck ian kinsler
but really just fuck manny machado

You couldn't get a more perfect view of a Boston fan than this post. Yep, fuck the guys who carried you to the WS and your team's best record ever.

One bad game and throw 'em all under the bus!!! That will show 'em!!!

And when they have a good game today or tomorrow, you will love them.

:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

My wife hates baseball but I flipped the game on in the bottom of the 8th thinking maybe it would be 30-45 minutes tops

I think I ruined her Friday night

You couldn't get a more perfect view of a Boston fan than this post. Yep, fuck the guys who carried you to the WS and your team's best record ever.

One bad game and throw 'em all under the bus!!! That will show 'em!!!

And when they have a good game today or tomorrow, you will love them.

:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

i know recognizing sincerity isn't yr strong suit, but also the only guy i really "threw under the bus" there was kinsler, who carried us approximately nowhere

and the bullpen, I GUESS, but man, fuck this bullpen

My wife hates baseball but I flipped the game on in the bottom of the 8th thinking maybe it would be 30-45 minutes tops

I think I ruined her Friday night

LOL. Got home tonight and the babysitter was watching in the top of the 9th.

Some things just take a long time. I'm all for minor tweaks to take away wasted time but major rule changes to speed up any game are lame. The sets that go on forever at Wimbeldon are awesome, the Monday 18 hole play-off at the US Open is awesome. To the extent baseball has slowed down in recent years because of excessive mound visits, excessive pitcher changes, etc., I would be all for a reasonable solution to fix that, but you can't change basic, traditional parts of the game.

18 innings in a regular season game is unnecessary but World Series you gotta play. It was a very exciting game. I'm so over the complaining about 3 hour baseball games. Football is longer and about unwatchable in the NFL now. Let baseball be. Trying to speed it up for ADHD millennials will just kill a great game.

The game moved much more fluidly when umpires just called the game. Let them call outs and strikes and manage the flow of the game as they always have. The stupid pitch box ruins it. People talk about pitches off the box that shouldn't be called strikes but there's a shit ton of pitches that hit it (at the top, inner/lower corner, for example) and aren't called and no one wants them called. Let the pitchers and catchers earn those strikes and stop looking at replays from 42 different angles. If I wanted a computer managing the game I'd just watch my 13 y/o play The Show on PS4.

18 innings in a regular season game is unnecessary but World Series you gotta play. It was a very exciting game. I'm so over the complaining about 3 hour baseball games. Football is longer and about unwatchable in the NFL now. Let baseball be. Trying to speed it up for ADHD millennials will just kill a great game.

Pos

Back