• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

This sort of makes me feel like Wake is part of the college football world. We may be thin at QB but there is talent there to work with applying some imagination. Maybe this will be a catalyst to morph our offense in something less gimmicky than exaggerated the slo-mo stuff we run. Takes its toll on QBs and backs getting the ball flatfooted. Sacrifices up a lot of wasted downs. Shouldn't be that hard to tweak.

I did not say he was a charity case. My point is that Clawson saw something in him that no one else did, and this is his thanks.

nah, his thanks was going to a bowl last year because Jamie saved the season, and getting ranked in the CFP rankings for the first time ever because Jamie started the year playing very good football

I did not say he was a charity case. My point is that Clawson saw something in him that no one else did, and this is his thanks.

Jamie had a fair number of P5 offers. He wasn’t a big time player out of high school, and Clawson did see somebody who would need some development, but Clawson wasn’t the only one to see his potential. He has offers from Duke, State, Syracuse, Vanderbilt and Boston College. All schools that pride themselves on academics, and development.

A healthy Hartman is equivalent to slightly better than a banged up Newman. A healthy Newman is light years better than a health Hartman.

Hope Hartman stays healthy next year.

I disagree. Jamie's strength was the long ball accuracy and running. Hartman can run well, just without the power. But Hartman's overall passing game is better in my observation than Newman's. He's just more accurate on the slants, comebacks, flat, curl, drag, out, etc.... He was too needs to improve his accuracy but given he has 2 years less experience than Jamie, I think he's poised to shine.

LSU, OK, Oregon, USC (QB may have injured elbow), Alabama may be a couple options.

Could this actually be good for Wake if Newman goes to one of these big time programs and is successful ?
Ie. that’s the QB from Wake.

If you think that there are a lot of schools predominantly using a "pro-style" offense, then you haven't been watching much college football the last couple of years.

Also, more and more pro teams are using RPO at least part of the time.

Wondering if there will be less redshirts, as it is harder to graduate if no redshirt year.

Remember last year when Hartman broke his leg against Syracuse and told Clawson he would be OK and to put him in because it was “just a bruise.” Then, everyone thought for sure we would lose the next game at State and we should only let Newman run.

Remember the beginning of this season when Newman beat out Hartman and many on here said Hartman would, and should, transfer?

What a difference a little time makes.

Donavon Greene had 2 receptions for 12 yards against Clemson. 1 reception against Duke. 3 for 29 yards against MSU. And he went for 172 yards and a TD with Hartman in a single game. Not buying the idea that the receivers will be all that bummed about this.

Jamie lost 4 of his last 5 starts. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Clawson wouldn't commit to the QB spot not being an open competition next year, and Jamie drew more than one legitimate offer from bigger programs and decided to go the grad transfer route. Clawson's competitive as hell, this was a disappointing season that culminated in a bowl loss which should have been a win - thanks to a scoreless final half of football. Imagine if Hinton doesn't pull down that 4th down jump ball against Utah State (who didn't end up being all that good) or we didn't edge out BC. Or if Newman started and lost the FSU game. Somehow he seems to have gotten a ton better just by announcing a transfer.

Hurts us depth-wise, without question. We run thousands of plays and QB's will get banged up. And I guess if you buy this new "Newman's never been healthy, if he was he'd have been incredible" stuff then it lowers our ceiling next year, maybe. But Newman found a lot of success throwing jump balls to Surratt and seemed to struggle once he was out more than he should have. Hartman spreads it around, and even did so against the same team this year in the same game after Newman left. And we're loaded on offense at the skill positions next year so he'll have plenty of guys to throw to.

If he really does head to Oregon he's not a sure thing to hold that starting job. Big risk he's taking.

Have to agree with most of this. I personally thought Newman got exposed at the end of the season for just locking in on his first receiver. That worked just fine when he could throw to Surratt and Washington regardless if they were covered. However, those became incompletions to covered receivers when they weren't available, or he held on to the ball longer and got hit in the pocket. How many times did we see an incompletion to a well guarded Claude 30 yards down the field on a 3rd and 3? Hartman does seem to be able to get his eyes to secondary receivers quicker and spreads the ball around better.

One area were I think we will likely miss Newman is on short yardage situations. After the first few games, just plowing him up the middle on 3rd or 4th and one pretty much became our short yardage play. Hopefully Clawson, Ruggiero, etc. will be able to figure out how to use the RB to consistently pick up 2 yards when we need 1 for a first down or TD.

Could this actually be good for Wake if Newman goes to one of these big time programs and is successful ?
Ie. that’s the QB from Wake.

Sorry but I just can’t see how this would be positive. He even cited leaving d/t having a better chance to develop with other coaches. The optics on this are terrible and every coach who is recruiting against us are going to use this transfer as ammunition.

Sorry but I just can’t see how this would be positive. He even cited leaving d/t having a better chance to develop with other coaches. The optics on this are terrible and every coach who is recruiting against us are going to use this transfer as ammunition.

I don't think this was Jamie's intention, but it did sound like "I'm to good to stay here".

It is one thing to have a guy who is buried on the depth chart depart. It is another for the guy who started most of the season, and presumably entered the off-season as the guy to beat for starter next season, leave for "better opportunity to develop."

Maybe if Newman goes on to be a top 5 pick and the team really struggles with Hartman. If Hartman lights it up, then our coaches can just say that their system allows QBs to put up big numbers (Wolford, Newman, Hartman) - especially if Newman goes somewhere and falls off of the radar.

Wait, I thought Newman was calling all those RPO QB runs in the bowl game? Now he's transferring because he doesn't like running so much?

To atone for underselling Hartman I made this meme

17d2b3bff4fb827ed1f5d495e368f738.jpg

Jamie had a fair number of P5 offers. He wasn’t a big time player out of high school, and Clawson did see somebody who would need some development, but Clawson wasn’t the only one to see his potential. He has offers from Duke, State, Syracuse, Vanderbilt and Boston College. All schools that pride themselves on academics, and development.

C-ville Deac, can you see Newman being Perkins' replacement next year for the Hoos?

Clearly losing his two top receivers that he had the confidence to throw jump balls to changed his opportunity and confidence in his money throws deep, down the sidelines and the end zone jump balls. This unfortunate happening coupled with his knee and shoulder injuries made it challenging him to run. Hence, the downturn oh his last 5 games.

Looking at the bigger picture...

It was always going to be unlikely that Boogie, Sage, and Jamie were all going to come back. If you had to choose two out of the three to return, who would you pick with regards to next season?

Louisville was actually very effective defending Wake's potent passing attack. The game turned into a shoot out but they really exposed that Wake's receivers had difficulty with physical play by the defenders. Va Tech, Syracuse and Michigan State were also successful playing very physical defense against Wake. I expected Wake to beat Louisville this past year but Satterfield really surprised me with how quickly he turned Louisville around. We're talking about next year though and my prediction for next year is that Louisville will definitely beat Wake.

And in two years Louisville will be challenging Clemson for the Atlantic division title!

Back