• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

With Wolford/Hartman, one of the staples of the RPO with delayed handoff was pulling the ball out super late and firing a slant across middle when linebackers cheat to stop run or perhaps hit TE leaking out downfield. That is one of first plays on the Tulane video someone posted earlier of Hartman as a frosh. Seemed like Jamie almost never did this which seemingly removed a huge threat and made the RPO basically a lot easier to defend. Once the mesh happened this year, either it was a handoff or maybe Jamie kept it, but never a throw. Can anyone explain why this never happened? Is he not capable of making that throw? Did we change the offense? Did teams defend us differently?

Could this actually be good for Wake if Newman goes to one of these big time programs and is successful ?
Ie. that’s the QB from Wake.

Exactly. Certainly did not hurt NC State when Russell Wilson transferred to Wiscy. He still says on his NFL intros that he is from: "a whole Pack of Badgers" so he gives props to both schools. Good luck to Newman. He gave us two great seasons & two bowl games. He can go to a place like Oregon and be a possible Heisman candidate and on a Top 10 program. More power to him. We were gonna lose Hartman if Newman stayed so this is kinda the same.

I must say, screw all these well wishes on twitter and here. We gave the dude a P5 scholarship and a chance when no one else did. He got his degree. No, I don’t want him to go win a national championship somewhere else. I also don’t like the well wishes from his teammates. He’s abandoning y’all. Not to go pro, and not transferring because he can’t get on the field. No, he is leaving because he thinks he’s better than you and better than Wake.

Agree. Good riddance. Newman played like shit the last half of the season.

His choice to leave, but I don't see any reason to wish him well. He is quitting on his teammates when he would have been in a great situation.

Hope he regrets that decision.

If you think that there are a lot of schools predominantly using a "pro-style" offense, then you haven't been watching much college football the last couple of years.

Or NFL football. College and pro offenses are becoming more and more similar. Nobody else is doing the slow mesh and high tempo though.

Meh -- acting like Newman coming to Wake was some sort of charity case is disingenuous at best. I mean, from everything I've read a huge part of our recruiting pitch is talking up the value of a Wake Forest degree and how that's a big part of being a football player here.

Yep. And he’s getting the Wake Forest degree. Looks like Clawson needs to work with the Provost office to start up some new 5 year programs to hype up.

I think Hartman will be better in an offense not designed for either he or Jamie. It’s seemed to me that his issues come from not being able to see over the line. I would love to run an offense that rolls him out more to get better passing lanes.

Disappointing for a number of reasons but at least he didn’t waste his senior year by declaring for the draft and getting picked in the 7th round and spending a year on the practice squad and getting cut and then throwing offseason passes to Greg dortch at the local high school to try and get one more look by the nfl. At least this way, he (hopefully) ends up as qb1 on a good team and has a blast and gets some strange.

To atone for underselling Hartman I made this meme

17d2b3bff4fb827ed1f5d495e368f738.jpg

We need to print some of these T-shirts for next season lol. That is great.

We are in the era of free agency for these grad transfers. I’m not a fan of it, but tough to fault the kid for graduating and wanting to improve his NFL stock elsewhere.

Hope he ends up at Oregon instead of somewhere like FSU or NCSU. That’d be fucking awful.

Agree with those who think Newman played pretty poorly down the stretch. Not having Washington and Surratt certainly hurts, but he made a lot of terrible throws against MSU.

Boogie and Sage.........Sounds better the more I think about it.

I don’t like it when the unpaid labor starts to get a say in their lives

With Wolford/Hartman, one of the staples of the RPO with delayed handoff was pulling the ball out super late and firing a slant across middle when linebackers cheat to stop run or perhaps hit TE leaking out downfield. That is one of first plays on the Tulane video someone posted earlier of Hartman as a frosh. Seemed like Jamie almost never did this which seemingly removed a huge threat and made the RPO basically a lot easier to defend. Once the mesh happened this year, either it was a handoff or maybe Jamie kept it, but never a throw. Can anyone explain why this never happened? Is he not capable of making that throw? Did we change the offense? Did teams defend us differently?

Well said. I wondered this all year as well. Would love to hear from someone who knows Xs and Os on this as well...

I don’t like it when the unpaid labor starts to get a say in their lives

You mean the kid who just got a free ride and diploma from a top 25 university for free? With a stipend? And now has a multi-million dollar future because he got showcased doing that? All of us pay for job training and then have to fight to get a job. As a PhD candidate getting paid very little for free labor that actually helps in the functioning of the university, I do not have pity on the free education and exposure for a future job. Can he do what he wants? Sure. Will I root for him? No.

Newman gets all lathered up and tries to run over the opposition. Great one playper game, but should not as a staple.

He then gets dinged up and hyped up and his accuracy fades.

You mean the kid who just got a free ride and diploma from a top 25 university for free? With a stipend? And now has a multi-million dollar future because he got showcased doing that? All of us pay for job training and then have to fight to get a job. As a PhD candidate getting paid very little for free labor that actually helps in the functioning of the university, I do not have pity on the free education and exposure for a future job. Can he do what he wants? Sure. Will I root for him? No.

I realize the problem with getting paid for free labor. You know what I mean.

I agree at Wake, the way the program is run, the kids actually get a great benefit. Not true most places.

I hate this take so much

Back