• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

I’m upset that he abandoned the team for selfish reasons, but I can’t blame him for feeling the way that he does. If he can find a starting job at a place like Oregon then bully for him and I hope he tears the Pac 12 a new one. He will always be a Deacon no matter what happens from here on out and he played his ass off for us this season.

Donavon Greene had 2 receptions for 12 yards against Clemson. 1 reception against Duke. 3 for 29 yards against MSU. And he went for 172 yards and a TD with Hartman in a single game. Not buying the idea that the receivers will be all that bummed about this.

Jamie lost 4 of his last 5 starts. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Clawson wouldn't commit to the QB spot not being an open competition next year, and Jamie drew more than one legitimate offer from bigger programs and decided to go the grad transfer route. Clawson's competitive as hell, this was a disappointing season that culminated in a bowl loss which should have been a win - thanks to a scoreless final half of football. Imagine if Hinton doesn't pull down that 4th down jump ball against Utah State (who didn't end up being all that good) or we didn't edge out BC. Or if Newman started and lost the FSU game. Somehow he seems to have gotten a ton better just by announcing a transfer.

Hurts us depth-wise, without question. We run thousands of plays and QB's will get banged up. And I guess if you buy this new "Newman's never been healthy, if he was he'd have been incredible" stuff then it lowers our ceiling next year, maybe. But Newman found a lot of success throwing jump balls to Surratt and seemed to struggle once he was out more than he should have. Hartman spreads it around, and even did so against the same team this year in the same game after Newman left. And we're loaded on offense at the skill positions next year so he'll have plenty of guys to throw to.

If he really does head to Oregon he's not a sure thing to hold that starting job. Big risk he's taking.
Brilliant post

So he shouldn’t complain because he chose to play the sport that was most likely his only opportunity to a Wake Forest degree? And he owes Wake a fifth year of football for some reason. And as usual, old white dudes are angry because they feel someone owes them something for some bullshit reason

1) I’m not old.
2) it’s very old white dude to think the black qb could only get in to WF because of football.
3) he can do what he wants as I’ve said multiple times. He shouldn’t care about the fans but he should care about his teammates. With that said, I don’t have to root for him and won’t be. He is the same as any other player on any other team.

With Wolford/Hartman, one of the staples of the RPO with delayed handoff was pulling the ball out super late and firing a slant across middle when linebackers cheat to stop run or perhaps hit TE leaking out downfield. That is one of first plays on the Tulane video someone posted earlier of Hartman as a frosh. Seemed like Jamie almost never did this which seemingly removed a huge threat and made the RPO basically a lot easier to defend. Once the mesh happened this year, either it was a handoff or maybe Jamie kept it, but never a throw. Can anyone explain why this never happened? Is he not capable of making that throw? Did we change the offense? Did teams defend us differently?

The offense is fine, but needs to be more dynamic. The challenge is building depth in order to replace injured players. If we run twice as many plays there will be more injuries. It seems like Clawson should sell come to awake and you will play early and offensive.

Really going to have to be careful with Sam running the ball because if he goes down, we are in trouble.

Old people never think they’re old. And I forgot, Wake is a super inclusive and diverse school. Tons of people from the lower middle class with slightly above average gpas and ACT scores walking around campus. I’m such a racist. My b.

Pure speculation. Newman's performance after the NCSU game was affected by injuries to his receivers and to himself. I wonder if he might consider a transfer to a higher profile football school that ran an offense that did not require the physical demands the RPO requires of him.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.

Jamie is going someplace he thinks he has a better chance at becoming a pro. He wants to live his life's dream. Everyone here would do the same in their profession.

There's no reason to be mad at him or not root for him. It's not like he's going to UNC or Duke.

Old people never think they’re old. And I forgot, Wake is a super inclusive and diverse school. Tons of people from the lower middle class with slightly above average gpas and ACT scores walking around campus. I’m such a racist. My b.

Well I hope I’m not or I’m wasting a lot of years on my PhD just to die soon after I get it. Again, you are assuming all these things about Jamie because he’s black. You know the qualifications for an athlete to get into Wake are about the same as the general student body right?

Don't blame Jamie for trying to improve his draft stock. Had he left before graduating, I might be a little upset but I'm not. Dude was here 4 years and he graduated. I'll be rooting for him as long as he doesn't play the Deacs, wherever he ends up. I'm disappointed but also excited for Sam Hartman. Should be interesting.

Revenue sport athletes don't have to be as highly ranked and accomplished in the classroom as the average Wake student nor should they be.

Basham, Surratt return; Newman Enters Transfer Portal

You mean the kid who just got a free ride and diploma from a top 25 university for free? With a stipend? And now has a multi-million dollar future because he got showcased doing that? All of us pay for job training and then have to fight to get a job. As a PhD candidate getting paid very little for free labor that actually helps in the functioning of the university, I do not have pity on the free education and exposure for a future job. Can he do what he wants? Sure. Will I root for him? No.

Nice false equivalency comparing a starting qb for a P5 school to being a PhD candidate. How many people come to watch you go to class? How many jerseys has your school sold because of the last thesis you wrote?

No college athlete owes their school anything. The coaches who coach them have no problem leaving for more money. The student-university “relationship” is a complete one way street. I applaud any college athlete who is able to do what everyone else in this country does when it concerns their employment - and that’s do what is in their own best interests for themselves and their families.

The QB is the leader of the team, and this ain't leadership.

Well I hope I’m not or I’m wasting a lot of years on my PhD just to die soon after I get it. Again, you are assuming all these things about Jamie because he’s black. You know the qualifications for an athlete to get into Wake are about the same as the general student body right?

No, because I have been heavily involved in sending kids to the collegiate level athletically for over a decade and a half, and I’m aware of Jamie’s high school academic qualifications. And yes, the academic qualifications are similar for athletes. But A non-athlete ain’t getting into Wake, and surely ain’t getting an academic scholarship to cover Wake’s crazy high tuition, you fucking donk.

The QB is the leader of the team, and this ain't leadership.

BS, it shows leadership to go through what he has for four years.

It shows leadership to graduate.

It shows leadership to be honorable about what he is doing.

It shows leadership to take control of one's future.

No, because I have been heavily involved in sending kids to the collegiate level athletically for over a decade and a half, and I’m aware of Jamie’s high school academic qualifications. And yes, the academic qualifications are similar for athletes. But A non-athlete ain’t getting into Wake, and surely ain’t getting an academic scholarship to cover Wake’s crazy high tuition, you fucking donk.

Guess you “ain’t” either. I took out loans just like everyone else I know.

Nice false equivalency comparing a starting qb for a P5 school to being a PhD candidate. How many people come to watch you go to class? How many jerseys has your school sold because of the last thesis you wrote?

No college athlete owes their school anything. The coaches who coach them have no problem leaving for more money. The student-university “relationship” is a complete one way street. I applaud any college athlete who is able to do what everyone else in this country does when it concerns their employment - and that’s do what is in their own best interests for themselves and their families.

My equivalency was that I knew what I was signing up for.

Amen. Something like this brings out the shittiest tendencies from the shittiest posters. Kid played four years. Kid graduated. If you’re pulling against him, something is wrong.
If someone disagrees with you, they are fucked up? Newman quit on WF and his teammates so I’m not going to be pulling for him. He is gone. He isn’t a true Deacon. Couldn’t care less what he does at another school.

Holy shit. A grown-ass man, an apparent doctoral candidate, just neg-repped me by saying “we can have different opinions but stop calling me names.” I reiterate, you, sir, are a fucking donk.

If someone disagrees with you, they are fucked up? Newman quit on WF and his teammates so I’m not going to be pulling for him. He is gone. He isn’t a true Deacon. Couldn’t care less what he does at another school.

Dude, your irrational hatred of CMM and the way that you spoke about him shows that your perspective on college athletes and Wake athletes in general is invalid. Yes, you are fucked up.

Back