• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

So he shouldn’t complain because he chose to play the sport that was most likely his only opportunity to a Wake Forest degree? And he owes Wake a fifth year of football for some reason. And as usual, old white dudes are angry because they feel someone owes them something for some bullshit reason

He doesn’t owe WF shit. His teammates are a different story. This has nothing to do with old, young, black or white.

Lol at all the people who got so angry at me for speculating this might happen. I found it hard to imagine him coming back when he might not even get the starting job

Holy shit. A grown-ass man, an apparent doctoral candidate, just neg-repped me by saying “we can have different opinions but stop calling me names.” I reiterate, you, sir, are a fucking donk.

Get a life dude. I feel bad for the HS kids that apparently rely on you for guidance because you obviously have issues.

Well I hope I’m not or I’m wasting a lot of years on my PhD just to die soon after I get it. Again, you are assuming all these things about Jamie because he’s black. You know the qualifications for an athlete to get into Wake are about the same as the general student body right?

This is wrong. The football and basketball team only requires top half of high school class and a decent SAT. Each sport gets a few exceptions.

This is wrong. The football and basketball team only requires top half of high school class and a decent SAT. Each sport gets a few exceptions.

Just curious, how do you know that? I thought the requirements were much stricter but I am more than happy to admit that I’m wrong on that.

I have a much bigger issue with the fact that Wake apparently has Phd candidates that say things like “get a life dude”, than I do with a kid that plays four years, graduates, and then transfers to try to improve their future prospects. I suppose my priorities are askew.

I have a much bigger issue with the fact that Wake apparently has Phd candidates that say things like “get a life dude”, than I do with a kid that plays four years, graduates, and then transfers to try to improve their future prospects. I suppose my priorities are askew.

1) I am not a PhD candidate at Wake.
2) the things you just pointed out I agree with and are not what we have been arguing about. Jamie can do whatever he wants.

I’m going to go enjoy my NYE now. Have a nice night. Please don’t drink too much. Sounds like you already have anger issues.

Dude, your irrational hatred of CMM and the way that you spoke about him shows that your perspective on college athletes and Wake athletes in general is invalid. Yes, you are fucked up.

Dude, you talk a lot of shit to be a non-WF grad and hiding behind your fake name. I don’t think it’s just me and the Dixieboy PhD who would like a piece of your smart ass.

BS, it shows leadership to go through what he has for four years.

It shows leadership to graduate.

It shows leadership to be honorable about what he is doing.

I agree. Jamie lived up to his obligation. He seems to be a great kid.

It shows leadership to take control of one's future.

1) I am not a PhD candidate at Wake.
2) the things you just pointed out I agree with and are not what we have been arguing about. Jamie can do whatever he wants.

I’m going to go enjoy my NYE now. Have a nice night. Please don’t drink too much. Sounds like you already have anger issues.

So you went to Wake undergrad and are going to grad school somewhere besides Wake? Sounds a lot like what Jamie is doing

Dude, you talk a lot of shit to be a non-WF grad and hiding behind your fake name. I don’t think it’s just me and the Dixieboy PhD who would like a piece of your smart ass.

If you think I’m a non-grad, you have me mistaken for someone else. Also, if you’re trying to sound intimidating, you should perhaps phrase your threats better than saying you want a piece of my smart ass.

So you went to Wake undergrad and are going to grad school somewhere besides Wake? Sounds a lot like what Jamie is doing

Yep. We don’t give PhDs in my field though so I ran out of eligibility!

DDB looks like a guy who will raise his hand when the frantic flight attendants ask if there’s a doctor on this flight when a passenger has a heart attack.

DDB looks like a guy who will raise his hand when the frantic flight attendants ask if there’s a doctor on this flight when a passenger has a heart attack.

Nah. I watch movies on flights.

Basham, Surratt return; Newman Enters Transfer Portal

Yep. We don’t give PhDs in my field though so I ran out of eligibility!

Seems like you should have picked a PhD that we did offer, succeed at it, then help elevate that program and your fellow deacs. Sacrifice for your fellow alumni. Your teammates.

It’s not like Wake Forest or Dave Clawson have a PhD program in NFL ready quarterbacks. Oregon sure does have a nice program though

Last edited:
Seems like you should have picked a PhD that we did offer, succeed at it, then help elevate that program and your fellow deacs. Sacrifice for your fellow alumni. Your teammates.

It’s not like Wake Forest or Dave Clawson have a PhD program in NFL ready quarterbacks. Oregon sure does have a nice program though

If we’re teammates then you should support me. I have my all to Wake for 4 years and graduated.
AGAIN, I do not blame Jamie and he can do whatever the hell he wants.
Have a nice night, and a happy New Year.

The goal for college football players should be to spend four years at a school and get a bachelors degree. After that, it’s hard to be critical of a player’s decisions. Coaches have to adjust.

I don't agree with this. If this is true, then coaches should bench upperclassmen the minute a younger player shows potential so they can develop the younger player since they will have them for a longer period of time. That is the wrong answer; outside of extreme circumstances (ie the team sucks) coaches and teams should play their best players, I am not opposed to the rule that allowed graduates to transfer and be immediately eligible, but it doesn't feel like the intent was to create wholesale free agency when starting players left their schools for greener pastures and immediate eligibility. I am probably wrong, but I viewed it to be more for guys who were maybe punching above their weight athletically, but put in the necessary work academically to then go play elsewhere for one more year. Doesn't really matter what the intent was or is though or what I think of it, but I still don't think coaches should have to adjust. In sports, business, and in life, you count on a certain level of trust and loyalty. Just because someone can transfer doesn't mean the coach should assume that is the case and doesn't mean the players should. Those players just become a bunch of mercenaries. I appreciate what Jamie did for Wake and even would like it if he changes his mind and comes back, but i will never view him the way i view guys who laid it all out on the field for Wake, like a Justin Herron. For all future years for homecoming, should Jamie come back to Wake or the school he chose over Wake to finish his career? It shouldn't be Wake. He can hang his Wake diploma, but he is a Wake football dropout. Hope it works out for him at whatever big time school he goes to. Those folks don't give a shit what he has done for the last four years, particularly since it wasn't at their school. The minute he doesn't meet their expectations, they will be ready for him to be gone. He's a big boy though. He can handle that. Even better, he will probably be the next Joe Burrow at LSU. PS - The Ds in the SEC are a little bigger, faster, stronger, better, etc than in the ACC.

Back