• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

Something about this is strange to me. I highly doubt this decision wasn't made between the Cuse game and the bowl game. Someone from a "big time program" must have contacted him or a family member and guaranteed a starting spot next year. I just think the decision was already made. If so, it's pretty damn selfish to play in the bowl game when Hitman could've had a full game under his belt to help transition into next season.

Maybe he has watched the success at LSU and Oklahoma with transfers or Ryan Finely or Russel Wilson? Or maybe he would like to play in a stadium with 80k each week as opposed to 20k

The goal for college football players should be to spend four years at a school and get a bachelors degree. After that, it’s hard to be critical of a player’s decisions. Coaches have to adjust.

Agree. Kid got a bachelor's and simply wants to move on from a jr. high O to a pro-style attack to better his chances at a successful pro career.

Donavon Greene had 2 receptions for 12 yards against Clemson. 1 reception against Duke. 3 for 29 yards against MSU. And he went for 172 yards and a TD with Hartman in a single game. Not buying the idea that the receivers will be all that bummed about this.

Jamie lost 4 of his last 5 starts. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Clawson wouldn't commit to the QB spot not being an open competition next year, and Jamie drew more than one legitimate offer from bigger programs and decided to go the grad transfer route. Clawson's competitive as hell, this was a disappointing season that culminated in a bowl loss which should have been a win - thanks to a scoreless final half of football. Imagine if Hinton doesn't pull down that 4th down jump ball against Utah State (who didn't end up being all that good) or we didn't edge out BC. Or if Newman started and lost the FSU game. Somehow he seems to have gotten a ton better just by announcing a transfer.

Hurts us depth-wise, without question. We run thousands of plays and QB's will get banged up. And I guess if you buy this new "Newman's never been healthy, if he was he'd have been incredible" stuff then it lowers our ceiling next year, maybe. But Newman found a lot of success throwing jump balls to Surratt and seemed to struggle once he was out more than he should have. Hartman spreads it around, and even did so against the same team this year in the same game after Newman left. And we're loaded on offense at the skill positions next year so he'll have plenty of guys to throw to.

If he really does head to Oregon he's not a sure thing to hold that starting job. Big risk he's taking.

I am disappointed by Jamie's decision; but realistically it probably alleviates some tension for the entire team. At the same time, it increases the pressure on Hartman to be the man. I think he welcomes that pressure.

The goal for college football players should be to spend four years at a school and get a bachelors degree. After that, it’s hard to be critical of a player’s decisions. Coaches have to adjust.

Agreed -- I think I like the flexibility created by the grad transfer rule more than most as it gives the players more leverage (which is a good thing). Also why I find complaining about tampering is kinda pointless, even though I'm sure it happened to some degree. Not sure I care.

Nemwan spoke in the post game interview that it was no secret he had been playing hurt most of the last half of the season. Most likely answer is he figured he needs another year to impress scouts but can't do that if he keeps getting hurt. Maybe He felt pressured to play because Clawson wanted to preserve Hartman's redshirt. Just speculation, but that could be the source of the "bad vibes" some mentioned.

This makes some sense. But this is a big FU to Clawson after he took a chance on a raw kid from a high school with a losing record, and no other P5 offers.

Agree. Kid got a bachelor's and simply wants to move on from a jr. High O to a pro-style attack to better his c hff ancestors force successful pro career.

If you think that there are a lot of schools predominantly using a "pro-style" offense, then you haven't been watching much college football the last couple of years.

Basham, Surratt return; Newman Enters Transfer Portal

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1212094876009013248?s=21

First off, I’ll say I think we’re in a very good place at quarterback. I think Sam Hartman has proved he was just as good as Jamie at the end of the season. Jamie was not the same player at the end as he was at the beginning. Hartman looked better than ever against Cuse. I throughly believe if Sam started the last two games of the season, we would have won.

That leads me to my next point. Jamie Newman controlled our offense. He had the reigns. He was the one that decided pass or run. He decided to hand it off or keep. The only time he didn’t decide were designed handoffs or the QB draws. Everything else was on him. At the end of the season he was run heavy, and he was not confident in the pass. Sam, was probably overly confident, but i’d rather have that than not enough confidence in throwing he ball as a quarterback.

Another thing I’ll say is depth now is not as good as it was at quarterback. We don’t have as many guys on roster. Tayvon Bowers just announced he’s transferring as well. So we will have Sam, Michael, and incoming freshman Mitch Griffis. All very talented players. Somebody has said that Michael had the best arm on the team including Newman, and I agree. I saw him play against Elon, and the ball jumped off of his hand. He has a strong arm. In high school, he did not run the RPO offense. It’s something he’s learning and adjusting to. He was a pro style quarterback out of high school, but don’t let that fool you. He’s pretty speedy. Mitch Griffis is our quarterback of the future. I think the worst part about Jamie leaving is that Mitch might not have the opportunity to redshirt. If Michael ends up not progressing and learning the offense, he would be the next man up. Mitch knows how to run the RPO. He ran it amazingly in high school. He’s extremely exciting. If you have time, go and watch his high school film. You’ll be excited too.

It looks as though he’ll end up at Oregon. Feels like he might have been recruited before this announcement. Maybe Oregon saw something they like, idk. If he ends up at Oregon: that wouldn’t be the end of the world. We won’t be playing them anytime soon.

Last edited:
I think that's underselling Hartman he is significantly better than a banged-up Newman. He was the starting quarterback for the FSU game which was arguably one of our two best Wins of the year. He played great in the Louisville game and almost let us back to an incredible comeback. We were getting destroyed by Syracuse and we're going to get blown out if Newman stayed in the game and he came in and threw for 350 yards in just a little more than 1/2 and was on the way to winning the game without that crazy strip of Hinton.

Yes, and why the h--- does he not get in the bowl game until the last series with a 3rd and 20!? What a weird HC decision given the history you accurately summarized.

This makes some sense. But this is a big FU to Clawson after he took a chance on a raw kid from a high school with a losing record, and no other P5 offers.

Meh -- acting like Newman coming to Wake was some sort of charity case is disingenuous at best. I mean, from everything I've read a huge part of our recruiting pitch is talking up the value of a Wake Forest degree and how that's a big part of being a football player here.

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1212094876009013248?s=21

First off, I’ll say I think we’re in a very good place at quarterback. I think Sam Hartman has proved he was just as good as Jamie at the end of the season. Jamie was not the same player at the end as he was at the beginning. Hartman looked better than ever against Cuse. I throughly believe if Sam started the last two games of the season, we would have won.

That leads me to my next point. Jamie Newman controlled our offense. He had the reigns. He was the one that decided pass or run. He decided to hand it off or keep. The only time he didn’t decide were designed handoffs or the QB draws. Everything else was on him. At the end of the season he was run heavy, and he was not confident in the pass. Sam, was probably overly confident, but i’d rather have that than not enough confidence in throwing he ball as a quarterback.

Another thing I’ll say is depth now is not as good as it was at quarterback. We don’t have as many guys on roster. Tayvon Bowers just announced he’s transferring as well. So we will have Sam, Michael, and incoming freshman Mitch Griffis. All very talented players. Somebody has said that Michael had the best arm on the team including Newman, and I agree. I saw him play against Elon, and the ball jumped off of his hand. He has a strong arm. In high school, he did not run the RPO offense. It’s something he’s learning and adjusting to. He was a pro style quarterback out of high school, but don’t let that fool you. He’s pretty speedy. Mitch Griffis is our quarterback of the future. I think the worst part about Jamie leaving is that Mitch might not have the opportunity to redshirt. If Michael ends up not progressing and learning the offense, he would be the next man up. He knows how to run the RPO. He ran it amazingly in high school. He’s extremely exciting. If you have time, go and watch his high school film. You’ll be excited too.

It looks as though he’ll end up at Oregon. Feels like he might have been recruited before this announcement. Maybe Oregon saw something they like, idk. If he ends up at Oregon: that wouldn’t be the end of the world. We won’t be playing them anytime soon.

In this post you say micheal did not play the rpo in high school and you say he ran it amazingly in HS

In this post you say micheal did not play the rpo in high school and you say he ran it amazingly in HS

Pretty sure he was talking about Griffis when he said the latter (knows how to run the RPO).

Meh -- acting like Newman coming to Wake was some sort of charity case is disingenuous at best. I mean, from everything I've read a huge part of our recruiting pitch is talking up the value of a Wake Forest degree and how that's a big part of being a football player here.

I did not say he was a charity case. My point is that Clawson saw something in him that no one else did, and this is his thanks.

Back